Obx Hunt: What to Expect

matt84

Button Buck
I have hunt booked for a couple days in late December with a guide near Nags Head. I have never been before and am just curious what to expect. My guess is it could be hit or miss depending on the weather. Can anyone share their experience with this time of year and location?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Buffleheads and ruddy ducks. If it wasn’t for them there wouldn’t be any guides on the coast. I’m kidding, sorta. That’s a big area so without a little more info who knows? You could be in a sink box on cedar island, a scissor rig in currituck, a stake blind on core banks......what to expect depends on the guide, location and weather.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Really does depend on the weather and type of hunting like the other like wildlifer said. I've done all three. Stake blinds you'll probably be shooting mostly buffies with the occasional blue bill, red head, or even pintail. Scissor rig if conditions are right a good guide will put you on sea ducks and redheads if they aren't rafted up in pea island. Curtain blinds at ocracoke it's all pintails redheads and brant. Again I emphasize weather just like any other duck hunt will effect how successful the hunt is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Nags head I would guess you will either be hunting a float blind or a stick blind in the sound. it is very weather dependent. Should be a decent numbers of divers down, but I would be realistic and expect a few nice birds, but don't be unrealistic with those expectations.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sunny bluebird day.......probably more spectating than shooting......that has always been my luck

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the old adage out there is.....if it aint blowin it aint worth going is true.............

Ha.... I could book a trip today for tomorrow because it’s supposed to be rainy and blowing tomorrow and by the time I got there the sun would be out and no breeze at all.......I just can’t win on those trips

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Depends on how much your guide feeds. Call and ask. Hairy heads and dippers are usually plentiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Ha.... I could book a trip today for tomorrow because it’s supposed to be rainy and blowing tomorrow and by the time I got there the sun would be out and no breeze at all.......I just can’t win on those trips

Man that is crazy, but if you can ever catch the weather right down there, it is unlike anything I have ever seen. We hit ti right a couple of years ago on Ocracoke.........it was blowing and spitting sleet for a couple of days and the Redheads and pintails were thick as hops over there. I literally could have shot a case of shells each day with all the birds there were. It was great for duck hunting, but it sucked as far as getting something to eat at the restaurants over there because the ferries were not running

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have hunt booked for a couple days in late December with a guide near Nags Head. I have never been before and am just curious what to expect. My guess is it could be hit or miss depending on the weather. Can anyone share their experience with this time of year and location?

bring extra shells,,,,seen 4000 birds at your blind,,,,,

:cool::greenjump::wave:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There's gotten to be so many "guides" that unless you can tell us exactly who you're hunting with no one can even give you a idea of what to expect. A lot of the good guides have started booking hunts for every "guide" they can get and a lot of them hunt less than good blind locations, that on top of being in a bad location, it gets hunted 6 days a week. A lot of these "guides" don't even have a captains license or their own blinds. Sure, they'll tell you that you're going to shoot pintails and redheads but don't expect to see much more than buffleheads and fish ducks with some of them.

matt84

Button Buck
Thank you all for all of the input. I'm hunting with Lee Martin who I met on charter fishing trip. I don't have many expectations other than to get away and have a good time with a couple of buddies. We lost our impoundment place in Columbia a couple years ago and I have been wanting to try something new. I've never done a big water hunt.

Last edited:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The best thing is to expect the unexpected when open water hunting. You can go in with no expectation of success and hit the right conditions and be wrapped up or expect a slaughter and swat flies for a weekend. Just take a good bottle of bourbon (for after the hunt) and have fun.