Propane tank and Direct Vent Fireplace

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I moved in to my new house last spring it had a fireplace and there is a gas line coming out of the side of the house for a propane tank. I don't want to rent a tank because I will only use it in the winter and probably wont use more than 40-50 gallons. Any idea who I call to connect the line to the tank? I know it needs a regulator or two.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm gonna guess that the line has a fitting on it, right. Go by Southern States, Tractor Supply or the like and get a regulator for a gas grill and screw it on. Don't forget to use some plummer's tape, and hook you bottle up. I have a wall mounted heater in my shop hooked to a 100 lb. tank that has been around since the 80s and it is going strong.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
5d5df2caf8e6296d607f4db874f09d55.jpg

This is what I have coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilly

Ten Pointer
I bought 100lb tank at Lowes and had it filled locally. I paid a local company (forgot who) and paid them maybe around $150 to install the regulator and copper line and verify that the fireplace would come on. The fireplace sat unused for 9 years. The tank lasted all winter although I would only turn it on for 10-20 mins at a time as it would heat the house up pretty quick.

cervus1

5d5df2caf8e6296d607f4db874f09d55.jpg

This is what I have coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a line pressure test gauge someone left on there. The line is charged with air and then checked after a period of time to see if pressure dropped, indicating a leak. I would get your local gas company to install or at least check

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go get a regulator and the necessary fitting and hook it up yourself. When we bought our current home, it had a gas fireplace, with gas logs, but no gas line to hook it up. I went by a gas company and made arrangements for them to come run a gas line and hook it up. Only thing I was told was that I needed to be home that day. So, the day of service, I took off work. About half an hour before they were supposed to arrive, I get a call from them. I'm then told they won't come because I need a permit, and then the county has to inspect it before it can be hooked up. &^))^^&%__(*^^%&)!!! WHY DIDN'T Y'ALL TELL ME THIS TO BEGIN WITH!!! Screw y'all and forget it! I went and got the pipe, flaring tools and had it hooked up myself before the day was out, at a lot less than I would have been charged by the gas company. Tanks been hooked up and turned on for 3 years, with no loss of gas, except what we have burned.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep make your own connections and soap test them when you have it pressurized- according to the guage looks like it is holding air

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep make your own connections and soap test them when you have it pressurized- according to the guage looks like it is holding air

So I am going to get a 100lb propane tank. I found a two stage regulator to attach to that. I just need a line now to go from the regulator to the copper line.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So I am going to get a 100lb propane tank. I found a two stage regulator to attach to that. I just need a line now to go from the regulator to the copper line.

Big box stores will sell the full set up for a grill..you will just need the adapter for that size connection. It looks like it already has a flared fitting that the pressure gauge adapter is screwed into..that appears to be a flare nut.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I thought Propane tanks were set for self regulation at a certain PSI? My house fire place and grill are direct feed from the tank with shut off valves at the grill and fireplace.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I thought Propane tanks were set for self regulation at a certain PSI? My house fire place and grill are direct feed from the tank with shut off valves at the grill and fireplace.

The pressure in the tanks is 100-200psi vs the 10 psi that is needed. Are you sure there isn't a regulator somewhere along the way?

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Rip that mess out and drop in a liner and stove insert. :)
My house didn't have any fireplace and I poked a hole in the ceiling and roof, put in a ceiling box with a wood stove, stove pipe, and chimney pipe. Best thing I've done to the house yet.
Sitting by a toasty fire as we speak.
595d2e29a7fa1982e7e55f6fac1f6c0f.jpg

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Regulator is on the tank.

The tank did not likely come with the regulator.....if you did not buy one then you will need one unless it is built in the logs......post a pic of your set up at the tank......unless you have already skinned this rabbit

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
It won’t be built into the logs. You need a regulator to take it from tank pressure to 2psi. Then a second regulator to go from 2psi to 11” w.c. Then a short piece of copper pipe to the logs.