Snow's Cut

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Heading down to Snow's Cut for some cool water fishing. Is there anything I need to know before I make the trek from up north? I plan on bringing some lures for the trout and some terminal tackle for the drum but was interested to know if those big flounder hang around when the water gets cool like it is? Also, does anyone have a website where I can get water temp info for this area?

Let me know - Cheers,

Jeff

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
water temps going to be in the low 50's. Flounder bite is pretty slow in the cut a little better in the river. I would fish the beach over the cut or in the river near downtown for stripers.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
water temps going to be in the low 50's. Flounder bite is pretty slow in the cut a little better in the river. I would fish the beach over the cut or in the river near downtown for stripers.

I have heard the striper fishing is good around Wilmington. What size fish are anglers catching?

manybeards

Ten Pointer
The spoil islands south of Snow's Cut are still holding Speckled Trout.... If you head north you are much more likely to run into some rockfish. Remember, C&R only!

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I am going to plan a trip after CHRISTmas. I have a Tidewater bay boat...will they be okay to fish that area?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
For stripers? You can put in at ramp next to the cape fear memorial and be fishing in less than 10 minutes

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
The spoil islands south of Snow's Cut are still holding Speckled Trout.... If you head north you are much more likely to run into some rockfish. Remember, C&R only!

Yah gotta remember that C&R and thanks for the info. That water temp is chillier than I had predicted.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer

Awesome info thanks man. I hear that drum fishing can be good in the winter, as the fish tend to school up. Getting them to bite can be difficult but the numbers are better if you can find the schools. Kind of like many needles in one bale of hay, which happens to be in a barn full of hay to the rafters. haha.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Update...We fished 12/16 and 12/17 and it was chilly. Water temp on outgoing tides in the Snow's Cut area was 48 degrees, incoming tides brought the temp up to about 49 to 50 degrees. In some of the marinas we found pretty consistent 50 degree water but no drum stacked up. The trout were really tough to find and based on most conversations we had...the bite was really slow, likely due to the quick temperature drop. We were able to pick up two short trout on 12/16 on the falling tide but that's all the trout we saw all weekend. We wanted to fish the Cape Fear River but it was our first time in the area and that is some really big water so we opted to fish the inter coastal waters instead. The shrimp were so cold they were laid out at the boat ramp so I netted a few and we were able to catch a couple black drum and some sheephead so we got some fish to eat but man it was some tough sledding. It's a great area and I can't wait for next fall to hit some flounder because it's a really fishy area. Cheers Jeff.