Hornady 250 gr SSTs

Royal Wulff

Button Buck
Already thinking about next year. I picked up a box of these on clearance and got just over a one inch group at 100 yards from my CVA Optima V2 .50 cal with 100 grains of BH209. Just checking in to see how these perform. I've shot SSTs in other calibers. Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only shot one deer with it so far, 100 gr BH209, average size body at 133 yards. I pulled the shot and hit center of the shoulder, completely destroying both shoulders. His nose hit the dirt, pushed himself about 5 feet with his back legs and was done.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm using the exact setup..and getting accuracy that's very similar. I haven't actually sent one toward a deer yet, but from what research I've done they are very effective.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Three of my buddies and I used these a few years back, accuracy was great, size of the exit hole sucked, little blood on lung shot deer...Not a problem with high shoulder shots...I went to the 300gr .429 Hornady XTPs...One of my buddys went with the 240grs, get better exit holes and better blood trails, although as you know with a muzzleloader you don't always get the best in blood trails...

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ive shot 250 Gr SSTs in very similar loads for many years. I love the red sabot...so easy to load and seat. Haven't had a problem with blood. Never had a problem getting pass throughs either.

I like them 100% better than powerbelts.

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Already thinking about next year. I picked up a box of these on clearance and got just over a one inch group at 100 yards from my CVA Optima V2 .50 cal with 100 grains of BH209. Just checking in to see how these perform. I've shot SSTs in other calibers. Any insight is appreciated.

Royal Wulff, try it with 115 grains of BH209, probably get less drop at the longest range you want to shoot. I experienced this with a Knight, get all out of the load you can case that shot presents it.

Royal Wulff

Button Buck
Royal Wulff, try it with 115 grains of BH209, probably get less drop at the longest range you want to shoot. I experienced this with a Knight, get all out of the load you can case that shot presents it.

That's in line with my thinking, too. I'm going to try to stretch it out to see about drop. Thanks!

Zomdeer78

Button Buck
Shot one deer with the TC Shockwave which I think is the same bullet. Knocked him off his feet and he never moved. Shot was at 80 yards and hit in the shoulder and stopped in the base of neck on the other side. If I can find the bullet I will post a picture of what is left.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Been shooting them for many years and find they do the job very well. No failures and no complaints. Killed a big 190 pound buck this season with it...shot at 60 yards center of the shoulder. Broke the shoulder and the deer fell right there and never got up. Bullet exited the opposite side. Shot out of my Savage 10ML II in front of 41 grains of AA5744.

ourway77

Button Buck
Fury Bullets new heard they are devastating on Deer They shoot very good and are at a very good price

herman

Six Pointer
Been shooting the sst's every since they came out years ago,before that it was the 240 and 250 xtp's in my inlines.
Before the smokless came out I shot the 200 sst,195 barnes and 200xtp's out of my encore all would shoot 3-shot groups at 100 yds.Think the speed was around 2200 fps.
When the smokless came out I used the 250 sst for hunting,took deer from 50 to 300 yds at a speed of 2450 fps.
In the converted 45 cal I first used the 200 st at around 2700 fps with same results.
Then for many years shot the 250 sst's sized down for the 45.Up to 3000fps
Last 2 years I have used the 300 sst for 2 deer one at 100 yds dropped in tracks behind shoulder shot, one at 300 yd heart shot went about 60 yds before dropping.
These were around 2800 fps.
Have been testing the fury bullets, they shoot very well.Want to try them on deer this coming year.They are bonded so should hold together well.
This is a target with my encore shooting the 195 barnes,the 200 xtp's.200 sst's and 250 sst's shot the same.

Richard

Button Buck
The Fury Fats in 275 and 300 gr. are also excellent hunting bullets. They have an aluminum tip formed from aluminum tubing when the bullet is pointed up. Dennis (Fury) first bonds the bullets then inserts the tube and runs it into the point up die. The tip has small flat on it but still an excellent shooter.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Been shooting the sst's every since they came out years ago,before that it was the 240 and 250 xtp's in my inlines.
Before the smokless came out I shot the 200 sst,195 barnes and 200xtp's out of my encore all would shoot 3-shot groups at 100 yds.Think the speed was around 2200 fps.
When the smokless came out I used the 250 sst for hunting,took deer from 50 to 300 yds at a speed of 2450 fps.
In the converted 45 cal I first used the 200 st at around 2700 fps with same results.
Then for many years shot the 250 sst's sized down for the 45.Up to 3000fps
Last 2 years I have used the 300 sst for 2 deer one at 100 yds dropped in tracks behind shoulder shot, one at 300 yd heart shot went about 60 yds before dropping.
These were around 2800 fps.
Have been testing the fury bullets, they shoot very well.Want to try them on deer this coming year.They are bonded so should hold together well.
This is a target with my encore shooting the 195 barnes,the 200 xtp's.200 sst's and 250 sst's shot the same.

Could you upload larger pics? I can't see much with them being so small. :)

C120

Six Pointer
Hey Herman, what sabots are you using with these bullets in your Encore? Also what charge? Thanks.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Green harvester sabots with .45 cal 240 grain xtp

They have put my hand on close to 100 deer

herman

Six Pointer
Hey Herman, what sabots are you using with these bullets in your Encore? Also what charge? Thanks.
It has been years since I shot the encore,Since I got into the smokless ,that's all I shoot now.
When I was shooting the 40 cal bullets in the encore 50 cal, I got the sabots from the fellow in Canada because mmp wouldn't sell me any then,they made them for him only.
Now they do sell them.They are mmp-HPH 50x40
The pic above was shot with 115 grs of pyrodex-select and 195 barnes,cci regular 209 primer.
The 200 sst's and 200 xtp shot the same.
The fartherest I took a deer with this load was a tad over 200 yds.

Travis299

Six Pointer
This is a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ shot from a CVA Accura MR using 2 pellets of T7 that took a buck at 45/55 yards. Carlos recommended these bullets when we purchased the MR.

71kcWdV - Imgur.jpg

Last edited:

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I have killed several deer with that those bullets. Good set up. Very accurate and puts them down. Seem to shoot better and load easier than just about all others that I have tried in several other muzzleloaders that I have had.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
This is a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ shot from a CVA Accura MR using 2 pellets of T7 that took a buck at 45/55 yards. Carlos recommended these bullets when we purchased the MR.

These are what I use too, they expand great on deer. Never had good blood trails from the SSTs either out of a ML or rifle. They do shoot really well though.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve shot 200 gr sst’s for years in my 45 cal knight. Accuracy is unrivaled. I think I could find something better in terms of deer performance but the accuracy keeps me shooting them. I’ve never ever lost a deer to them and I’ve shot idd guess over a hundred with them. But I have had a few “what the hell just happened” moments in the moments right after I shot a deer. Guessing 90% passed through. Some bled good, some didn’t. I’ll continue to shoot them for no other reason than I know the bullet is gonna go in the exact spot my crosshairs are every single time.