Deer Mange

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
About 5:05 this afternoon, watching across about a 2 acre field, I saw a deer walking inside the wood-line about 150 yds away. He turned coming out into the field, I quickly noticed he was a buck. 8pt about 12-14 inch spread, a deer that I have put a plenty just like him in the freezer over the years. My nearly 60 year old eyes knew something wasn't quite right with this buck. Put the binoculars on him and quickly saw that this deer was nearly hairless from just behind his front shoulders to his head. His skin was pinkish-purple, looked thick and wrinkly. Deer mange. Watched it till it was dark, he was the only deer that showed. Thought long about shooting him but wasn't sure if the meat was safe to eat and already have 3 this year packaged away in the freezer. Now have read the meat is good. First deer I've seem like this in my 50 years of hunting. Robeson County.

cervus1

Seen quite a few deer with demodectic mange in the Sandhills area. It's more common than you would think. The meat may be safe, but sometimes it can cause a secondary infection internally. Safe or not, I couldn't eat it. What part of RobCo were you hunting.

cervus1

This deer was on a farm in the southern part along Ashpole Swamp. Hunt a couple other farms in this area and along Hog Swamp also.
I hunted the Burnt Islands a couple of years ago. Couldn't afford the corn and couldn't compete with the dogs.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
I hunted the Burnt Islands a couple of years ago. Couldn't afford the corn and couldn't compete with the dogs.

Yeah, know what you mean. Was a member in a club there for several years. Always enjoyed dog hunting but doesn't mess to well with stand hunting. A lot of deer there though.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a deer like this in Scotland county last year. Biologist told me if I saw it again shoot it, don't touch it and call them immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk