7mm wsm

klim

Twelve Pointer
Pros/Cons? I’ve owned a 300 wsm. It was a good shooting gun but it killed on both ends. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another one but for some reason the 7mm wsm has peaked my interest.

Last edited:

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Pros/Cons? I’ve owned a 300 wsm. It was a good shooting gun but it killed on both ends. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another one but for some reason the 7mm wsm has peaked my interest.
I have 300 wsm an I don't think the recoil is any worse than my 270,s

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I found a lh one for a great price but didnt buy due to ammo availability. When cabelas only carries a single box of a caliber....I decided its not for me as I don't reload

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont own one but I never seen the point of the short mags.
Ammo will be alot harder to find than a regular 7mm magnum. Other than having a somewhat different caliber than everyone else has I see no pros.

Of course nothing should ever get in the way of you buying another gun.....well thats always ny excuse..lol

sent from...... Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
If you don’t reload I would not look at the 7mm wsm. It is a great round, but ammo availability is a huge factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBD21

Eight Pointer
If anyone is near Marshville, oakboro, locust area I’ve got a box of Winchester ballistic silver tips would let go cheap. I’ve shot the 7mm wsm some and liked it I own a .270 wsm and .300 wsm hunt with the .300 a bunch

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Isn't the point to be able to run magnum in a lighter weight short action?

Yes you can supposedly get close to 7mm rem mag performance out of a 308 length action. I had a 300 and a 7mm wsm and they worked,but I moved on to other offerings. The 300 and 270 will likely survive, but the 7mm and the Remington short mags are now ‘niche’ cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have a 300wsm. I like the round although I do handload sonthatbkeepsm t he cost down. 300 wsm, .270 wsm and 7mm wsm all have different case dimensions making brass hard to find for all but the 300wsm. I would only get a 300 for ammo availability reasons. I m have never seen qn action that fit more than 3. I have only ever needed 2 shots.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The concept of the WSM and even the WSSM cartridges is to have a shorter and fat or wide powder charge so the flame of the primer is exposed to a larger cross section of the powder providing a more efficient burn. With the use of slower burning powders and by increasing the efficiency of the burn to close to 100% you get better velocity with less felt recoil. Another benefit is they headspace off of the shoulder versus the belt (on a belted magnum) which is inherently more accurate- combine this with the short & stiffer (.308 length) action and you get the best of both worlds.

ka30270

Six Pointer
The 300 wsm and 270 wsm are the same case with different neck dimensions obviously. The 7mm wsm was lengthened a touch. I have owned a 300 wsm and a 270 wsm and I liked both. The 270 wsm was a Browning M-1000 Eclipse with a 26" barrel. With Mag-pro powder it was pushing a 130 Barnes TSX at 3500 fps and that is quite a bit faster than even the 270 Weatherby.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
The 300 wsm and 270 wsm are the same case with different neck dimensions obviously. The 7mm wsm was lengthened a touch. I have owned a 300 wsm and a 270 wsm and I liked both. The 270 wsm was a Browning M-1000 Eclipse with a 26" barrel. With Mag-pro powder it was pushing a 130 Barnes TSX at 3500 fps and that is quite a bit faster than even the 270 Weatherby.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This has not been the case in my experience. I have tried forming 300wsm brass from 270 and 7mm wsm brass. It was a no go.