Nasal Bots ?

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I love bowhunting, I just don't get the enjoyment out of hunting with a gun that I do bowhunting. With all that said I got in the stand this morning at 1100 and finally had 4 does come to me at 4 30. Made a great 25 yard shot on one of them. When I got home and started removing the guts when I got down to cutting the esophagus I noticed some maggot like worms moving I around. In my 52 years this is the first time I have seen this after cleaning hundreds of deer. From what I have seen they are nasal bots. I guess they are harmless but I don't like it. Anyone else ever seen this?

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Yes. Once the blood stops pumping they will crawl out of the nose of the deer in short order. I read up on it and also learned they are harmless. I wonder what the deer think of that! That is why farmers worm their livestock. Invaders are everywhere.

partspimp

Old Mossy Horns
I love gun hunting, I just don't get the enjoyment out of hunting with a bow that I do with a gun. With all that said...Ive seen several deer with em.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
The deer meat is perfectly fine. You are just wasting a good deer if you get rid of it. Just because you haven't seen them before doesn't mean other deer you have shot didn't have them. You would be surprised how many deer have them.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
The deer meat is perfectly fine. You are just wasting a good deer if you get rid of it. Just because you haven't seen them before doesn't mean other deer you have shot didn't have them. You would be surprised how many deer have them.

your probably right ! I read where it don't harm the meat but dang it really turned me off lol !

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Over the years I've picked up quite a few deer (backstraps!) from the squeamish thanks to botfly maggots. ;)

Ain't nature just wonderful. :greenjump:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There most likely is other things in there that you don't see that you need to be equally worried about if you don't cook it properly. No need to waste a deer over what you do see.