Can you legally trap coyotes in a neighborhood in city limits and charge for it?

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
It would essentially be "pest" removal services I think? I keep seeing folks posting about it and not wanting their pets to get eaten and I'm wondering if I could have a "side gig" :)

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, but be mindful of your local laws. You’re bound by all the same rules as a fur trapper. Outside of trapping season you’ll need a depredation permit to set a trap.

Ncgundogs

Spike
You can run into issues inside city limits because u can’t discharge a firearm inside most city limits so u have to dispatch the animal another way u can’t transport live wildlife without a permit and you open yourself up to a huge civil liability when fluffy the neighbors cat gets caught in you trap and the owners want money for vet bills that why the state has a damage control agent program to help u understand everything

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can run into issues inside city limits because u can’t discharge a firearm inside most city limits so u have to dispatch the animal another way u can’t transport live wildlife without a permit and you open yourself up to a huge civil liability when fluffy the neighbors cat gets caught in you trap and the owners want money for vet bills that why the state has a damage control agent program to help u understand everything
Certain furbearers you can transport live with your trapping licenses.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is risky even if there are no local laws prohibiting it. If discharging a firearm was the only issue, that is easy enough to overcome.

The biggest issue is the extreme risk and likelihood of catching a non target (read someones pet) and ending up on the evening news. The fact that the non target critters owner was not following the local leash law does not change the negative reporting that will occur when the wrong animal is caught. Neither will the fact that modern traps are not the monsters that the animal rights folks claim them to be. The trapping community does not need the negative press of catching domestics.

If the offending wild critters can be caught in a cage trap, the risk of a negative situation is greatly reduced. But good luck trying to get Wiley to go in a cage.

Ncgundogs

Spike
I trapped coyotes in raleigh from 2002-2012 it’s for sure a different type of trapping what I discovered was doing it under your damage control license and running a wildlife removal company people just don’t want to pay you enough to make any money I found if you want to make money there are other species of wildlife that pay way better

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is risky even if there are no local laws prohibiting it. If discharging a firearm was the only issue, that is easy enough to overcome.

The biggest issue is the extreme risk and likelihood of catching a non target (read someones pet) and ending up on the evening news. The fact that the non target critters owner was not following the local leash law does not change the negative reporting that will occur when the wrong animal is caught. Neither will the fact that modern traps are not the monsters that the animal rights folks claim them to be. The trapping community does not need the negative press of catching domestics.

If the offending wild critters can be caught in a cage trap, the risk of a negative situation is greatly reduced. But good luck trying to get Wiley to go in a cage.

Then you run into the militant cat ladies that will go around springing all the traps.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Ah yes I forgot nccatfish always knows more than everyone good job thanks for the correction

He’s right. You can transport coyotes and foxes live (fox pens). It’s also not unheard of to transport a critter to a more discrete location for dispatch. The non target issue is real, and is a reason you really have to use discretion.