Processing Goat

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got 3 Boer goat crosses to process. What's the best way to kill them? Shoot them in the top of the head with a 22 pistol? A deer processor is going to turn the buck into 100% sausage. I guess I am stuck doing the other two. They're kind of pets to my aunts family and no one has the heart to kill them.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I would shoot it in the head and stick the jugular before the heart stopped beating. I think that is why the old folks always shot the hogs in the forehead, to actually knock them down/out and get them stuck so the heart pumped as much of the blood as possible out.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When my dad visited a ranch in Cuba they just lifted them by the hind legs and slit the throat. I believe they probably skipped the shooting them part because no one has any guns.

ahales

Four Pointer
Growing up we always shot hogs between the eyes then slit their throat and hang them upside down on Boom Pole attached to the tractor to bleed out. You could also use your deer gambrel.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
A shot to the forehead and cut the throat. Personal preference on the "process" of doing it. The Halal method is where you would just cut the throat and let the blood drain. There's also a part to it where you would lead the animal away from the rest and wait until it is completely calm. I would prefer to skip enduring the time it takes the animal to die from blood loss in favor of a shot to the head then a cut throat.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A shot to the forehead and cut the throat. Personal preference on the "process" of doing it. The Halal method is where you would just cut the throat and let the blood drain. There's also a part to it where you would lead the animal away from the rest and wait until it is completely calm. I would prefer to skip enduring the time it takes the animal to die from blood loss in favor of a shot to the head then a cut throat.
The two sweet doe's wouldn't be a problem to do it the Halal way. The buck would injure me if I tried that.

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
Draw an X between the eyes and opposite side ears. The center of the X is the spot to shoot to hit the brain.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If that buck has b@lls, you better off selling him and using that money to go buy a few pounds of ribeyes.

I’ve killed some 60-70lb wethers before and they were deeeeeeeeericious!!!!! We split’em right down the back and hung’em in a walk in cooler fore a week then put’em on a hog cooker for about 4 hours. Make your tongue slap your brains out trying to get to it!!!!!

Take that billy to Carolina stockyards in Siler city on Friday morning. Should be able to get $150-$250 for him depending on his size.

Hell, I’d take’em all to the sale barn. Goats bringing pretty decent money right now.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If that buck has b@lls, you better off selling him and using that money to go buy a few pounds of ribeyes.

I’ve killed some 60-70lb wethers before and they were deeeeeeeeericious!!!!! We split’em right down the back and hung’em in a walk in cooler fore a week then put’em on a hog cooker for about 4 hours. Make your tongue slap your brains out trying to get to it!!!!!

Take that billy to Carolina stockyards in Siler city on Friday morning. Should be able to get $150-$250 for him depending on his size.

Hell, I’d take’em all to the sale barn. Goats bringing pretty decent money right now.
We've had good luck with sausage and intact males. I tried to load him in the trailer but he did not want to have anything to do with me. Any tips on getting a big scared goat in a trailer?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We've had good luck with sausage and intact males. I tried to load him in the trailer but he did not want to have anything to do with me. Any tips on getting a big scared goat in a trailer?

One man grab the horns and pull and a man in the back pushing. I just bought 6 high percentage boer nannies Saturday and two of the does are between 210-225 pounds. Just grab the horns and give it all you got. My dad a reg boer billy and he tipped the scales at 305 lbs. luckily, all you had to do was rattle a bucket of feed and he’d follow you like a puppy. Hahaha

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
All seriousness though, the way goats have been selling, you could buy a lotta groceries for what they’re bringing right now. Pull up siler city market on the net and check prices. May be a “win win” for everyone in the family.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The place beside Carolina Stockyards used to process goats,not sure if they still do.

Yes they do. It’s halal meats. He used to pay top dollar for IF they were slaughter ready and he didn’t have to fatten them up but not sure if he still does or not.

sakoman

Bro sale them goats at the stock yard and if your hungry enuff to eat goat i'll feed ya.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
A small restaurant in downtown Laurinburg, 215 on Main, has African Goat Stew as an entree. Good enough I'll order it again. The lady is from a west African country and some of her dishes are influenced by that region. So her husband said. The collard egg roll is tasty. Has smoked turkey in the roll, also, I think.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used to question people that ate goat too until I actually tried it. I ate a goat dish at the Sugar Shack in Ocean Isle and I have to say it was DELICIOUS! I'm now a goat fan!!

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Goat meat is for the Taliban!!!

Calm down. Just joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I used to eat it now and again at a Mexican Restaurant.

"Can't Ride Home on a Bowl of Goat..."-Ron White

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I took them to my friends house that lives down the road. I didn't realize that they don't care about getting shocked by the cattle fence. They got loose last night and went on a stroll of his neighborhood. That was fun catching them at 9pm in the cold.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I took them to my friends house that lives down the road. I didn't realize that they don't care about getting shocked by the cattle fence. They got loose last night and went on a stroll of his neighborhood. That was fun catching them at 9pm in the cold.

I had same problem when I got our goats. I didn't know they could walk straight through 6 strands of barbed wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Bro sale them goats at the stock yard and if your hungry enuff to eat goat i'll feed ya.

There is no way, NO WAY, that you have ever eaten goat!!!

I used to eat it every meal I could in Africa, can’t hardly afford to here... last I got was $36 for a shoulder.

I told my buddy that we need to start raising them, have more money than Pablo Escobar in no time!!!

Last edited: