Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thought we were talking commercial TSS not best duck loads ,,,my mistake

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Thought we were talking commercial TSS not best duck loads ,,,my mistake

Yeah sorry I sidetracked this a little bit. I am new to the TSS stuff and since I do not turkey hunt I was interested in this thread because of the pattern density and range it gives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know a few that use it on ducks some - dark thirty does I think

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I’ll take blame for the sidetrack. Haha. Not a turkey hunter either unless I could shoot 5 or 6 in a morning and shoot’em flying.

I’m not a fan of the duplex loads. If I’m spending the money on TSS, I feel like I’m poisoning the load by adding steel to it. It works for a lot of guys, but I’ll never do it. Just don’t seem right to me to spend that kinda money on something as superior as TSS is in ballistic and energy performance and mixing it with something that’s extremely poor performing in both ballistics and killing as steel is.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I’ll take blame for the sidetrack. Haha. Not a turkey hunter either unless I could shoot 5 or 6 in a morning and shoot’em flying.

I’m not a fan of the duplex loads. If I’m spending the money on TSS, I feel like I’m poisoning the load by adding steel to it. It works for a lot of guys, but I’ll never do it. Just don’t seem right to me to spend that kinda money on something as superior as TSS is in ballistic and energy performance and mixing it with something that’s extremely poor performing in both ballistics and killing as steel is.

so do you just buffer your waterfowl loads and what do you use as buffer? Maybe we could just go to the reloading forum and discuss it there, so as not to further sidetrack the turkey thread here.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Apex Ammo has them in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and 410 sizes. And by the pricing they have they are right proud of them.

<>< Fish

If the projectiles are TSS it's not so much they are "proud of the" as the cost of components are high

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I looked at Apex earlier in the year. Then I realized an animal can only get so dead...

It didn't seem to me like they were capitalizing on the biggest attraction of TSS - the ability to shoot a much lighter shell, less recoil, with better performance. Their 12 GA turkey shells are still 3" and 3 1/2", shooting 2 1/2 oz. loads! I've already got concussion-inducing shells that kill them dead at 1/3 the price. The only reason I'd pay that money is to shoot a 2 3/4 shell with a lighter payload and keep the same effectiveness.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I looked at Apex earlier in the year. Then I realized an animal can only get so dead...

It didn't seem to me like they were capitalizing on the biggest attraction of TSS - the ability to shoot a much lighter shell, less recoil, with better performance. Their 12 GA turkey shells are still 3" and 3 1/2", shooting 2 1/2 oz. loads! I've already got concussion-inducing shells that kill them dead at 1/3 the price. The only reason I'd pay that money is to shoot a 2 3/4 shell with a lighter payload and keep the same effectiveness.

I agree with you, but guess there are plenty of folks who are in "more is better" category,,,,

gregor187

Six Pointer
I agree with you, but guess there are plenty of folks who are in "more is better" category,,,,

what I want to see if shooting the standard size payload with a modified choke
will open up the pattern up close but still hold a killing pattern
out to say 50 yds.
To me that would be the perfect thing for the ones that get
in close on you and still being able to clean harvest at normal yardage.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
After patterning at 30 and 40 yds. I am positive My compnchoke light modified with my 28 gauge 1oz would hammer a turkey at 50+ yds.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I find it difficult not to keep trying out new ideas with TSS. My wife wonders what I'm doing when I sit at the loading bench for hours at a time messing with the calculator, components and notepad. And then to see what a new idea does at the range. And then it's like Christmas as I wait for the lab report on them. It's an amazing shot that you can do things with that just can't be done by other less dense shot. For example, in the 20 ga, I have loads from 9/16 oz to 2-1/8 oz. Each one all along that spectrum work well. It's amazing stuff to work with.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I find it difficult not to keep trying out new ideas with TSS. My wife wonders what I'm doing when I sit at the loading bench for hours at a time messing with the calculator, components and notepad. And then to see what a new idea does at the range. And then it's like Christmas as I wait for the lab report on them. It's an amazing shot that you can do things with that just can't be done by other less dense shot. For example, in the 20 ga, I have loads from 9/16 oz to 2-1/8 oz. Each one all along that spectrum work well. It's amazing stuff to work with.

Does your wife realize you have a cult like following amongst rednecks and shotgun nerds?!?!?:):):):)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Even 3 1/2 inch in 2 and 1/2 oz load in that 9 shot enough pellets to make 3 adeq shells it is overkill

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Even 3 1/2 inch in 2 and 1/2 oz load in that 9 shot enough pellets to make 3 adeq shells it is overkill

I was looking for some patterns of that load from about 5 years ago, but couldn't put my hands on it. Anyway, 500+ in a 10" circle at 40 yds is typical. One guy got 601.....

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
But here it is with 7-1/2s at 60 yds....

TSS%202.5%20oz%207.5s%2060%20yds%20Rodney%20Blanks_zpsxaznalkv.jpg