Commercial TSS loads?

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It has been mentioned on here that Federal is planning to offer TSS. I looked at their current website and don't see it mentioned. Does anyone know any more about the status?

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Might find something about I️t on old gobbler. They’re usually on top of that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You don't want to go discussing TSS on old gobbler,,,,he don't take to that stuff

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Do yourself a favor and skip the ammo companies. Just roll your own. Contact Hawglips on here and you will be set up in no time.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Do yourself a favor and skip the ammo companies. Just roll your own. Contact Hawglips on here and you will be set up in no time.

^^^amen to that!! You don’t need a lot of equipment. $30 roll crimping die, a drill and scales to weigh powder and shot and your good to go!!! Follow hawglips directions and get ready to roll heads!!!

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the input. I gather that no one knows any more about the status of Federal offering TSS. :)
I'll see if Hawglips can help me out.

Bperry

Six Pointer
Take this with a grain of salt. It's subject to change.

Federal-In the Flight Control Wad 20ga and 12ga-It's the hardest kicking shell I have ever shot in my life. NOT FOR ME
Nitro-Ray is working out loads now. Will offer 410 to 10ga. Shot some of the test loads. Has a 20ga 7/9 duplex
Apex-Don't know anything about them
JEBS-Working out loads now. Will also make TSS chokes. I hear they will offer a 410 gun of some kind. Should be getting a 410 choke from Bobby this week

I'll stick with Hal and load my own.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^ Dang Brian. You choking a .410 gonna make it like shooting a rifle. LOL. I'll be interested in seeing your test results.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
so not turkey related, but is TSS approved as non toxic by the US FWS for use as waterfowl shot?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Take this with a grain of salt. It's subject to change.

Federal-In the Flight Control Wad 20ga and 12ga-It's the hardest kicking shell I have ever shot in my life. NOT FOR ME
Nitro-Ray is working out loads now. Will offer 410 to 10ga. Shot some of the test loads. Has a 20ga 7/9 duplex
Apex-Don't know anything about them
JEBS-Working out loads now. Will also make TSS chokes. I hear they will offer a 410 gun of some kind. Should be getting a 410 choke from Bobby this week

I'll stick with Hal and load my own.

Well we loaded some 3” 410’s with TSS and we weren’t even trying to get turkey type patterns. We loaded 9-1/2’s and shot them through a Muller U4 and a Muller U3 choke at 40yds. I would not have hesitated to shoot a turkey at 50+ yds with that setup. It be like throwing a 10” castnet on whatever your shooting at. Hahaha

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it is!! I don’t even turkey hunt. I got into loading tss for duck hunting with my 28 gauge.

Ill have to check it out, I want to start doing all my duck hunting with a 20 gauge. That includes divers hence the 20 gauge.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well we loaded some 3” 410’s with TSS and we weren’t even trying to get turkey type patterns. We loaded 9-1/2’s and shot them through a Muller U4 and a Muller U3 choke at 40yds. I would not have hesitated to shoot a turkey at 50+ yds with that setup. It be like throwing a 10” castnet on whatever your shooting at. Hahaha

I'd shoot hawglips .410 load 50-60 yards with no hesitation.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Ill have to check it out, I want to start doing all my duck hunting with a 20 gauge. That includes divers hence the 20 gauge.

I’ll take my 1oz 28 gauge tss 9-1/2 loads and outkill any 12 gauge gun there is with any size steel or any legal waterfowl load. Until you see what this stuff is capable of doing, it’s hard to comprehend just how lethal it is. If it was more affordable, I honestly believe the 12 gauge shotgun would go the way of the 10 gauge and the 20 would be king.

It’s very expensive and I don’t shoot it every trip but if I’d been born rich instead of good looking, I’d have a pallet of that stuff sitting in my basement waiting to be loaded:):):):):)

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I finally got a response from Federal "Should see in stores in February/March). I didn't ask what gauges or other details and they didn't offer. I'm convinced the best way to go is with Hawglips and roll your own. That way you're not limited to whatever they decide to offer.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I finally got a response from Federal "Should see in stores in February/March). I didn't ask what gauges or other details and they didn't offer. I'm convinced the best way to go is with Hawglips and roll your own. That way you're not limited to whatever they decide to offer.

Great decision!! All his data is pressure tested and safe and not a “try this” type scenario. You follow his directions, you will be happy!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll take my 1oz 28 gauge tss 9-1/2 loads and outkill any 12 gauge gun there is with any size steel or any legal waterfowl load. Until you see what this stuff is capable of doing, it’s hard to comprehend just how lethal it is. If it was more affordable, I honestly believe the 12 gauge shotgun would go the way of the 10 gauge and the 20 would be king.

It’s very expensive and I don’t shoot it every trip but if I’d been born rich instead of good looking, I’d have a pallet of that stuff sitting in my basement waiting to be loaded:):):):):)

I saw where it was $23 bucks a box, that isnt to bad. Its as cheap as the all hevi loads are..........

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I saw where it was $23 bucks a box, that isnt to bad. Its as cheap as the all hevi loads are..........

No way that’s possible if it’s 18g/cc tungsten like I load. Box of 25 would run ~$75.
The commercial waterfowl loads you see excluding the Kent tungsten matrix, that are promoted as being “tungsten” is actually steel coated with a tungsten powder. Which is basically like putting Lamborghini wheels on on a Prius. Lol

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
No way that’s possible if it’s 18g/cc tungsten like I load. Box of 25 would run ~$75.
The commercial waterfowl loads you see excluding the Kent tungsten matrix, that are promoted as being “tungsten” is actually steel coated with a tungsten powder. Which is basically like putting Lamborghini wheels on on a Prius. Lol

Well that was a for a box of 10 so it seems to be about that price. The all hevi loads run about the same for a box of 10 from what I see

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Well that was a for a box of 10 so it seems to be about that price. The all hevi loads run about the same for a box of 10 from what I see

I gotcha. As far as I know, there is not a true tungsten waterfowl load on the market. The Kent tungsten matrix is the closest I know of.
In all honesty, there is not anything that compares to it. To compare lead to steel, is like comparing tungsten to lead. Even lead is no comparison to the performance.
Truth be told, if it’s commercially produced, and they market any shot for waterfowl larger get than 7-1/2’s, people are wasting their money. TSS 7-1/2’s would kill pterodactyls. I’ve killed geese with 10’s and it was devastating and even with a pellet that small, I still was getting pass throughs. But in the case of marketing it commercially after most hunters have became accustomed to steel, I’d think most hunters would balk at thinking that 9-1/2’s would be ideal for mallards. So without the small band of handloaders who are familiar with it, how would hunters ever come to terms with using that small of shot for waterfowl?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

a box of 10 hevi-shot are $45+ dollars

a box of 10 TSS shells will be way more than that,,,quaranteed