Deer Summer Sausage recipe?

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
As said lookin FOR some summer sausage recipes. Meat has already been ground

Last edited by a moderator:

JD1107

I took a screen shot of that recipe apex and plan on giving it a go this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
One note- through experimentation I've found this recipe & cooking method works best if you make the logs 2" maximum diameter. I tried doing some short & fat ones like most summer sausage is but the inside portion wasn't thoroughly cooked and the outside was a bit dry. Now I aim for a log about the size of pepperoni used on pizza as it cooks perfectly and slices fit on a cracker for parties.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
One note- through experimentation I've found this recipe & cooking method works best if you make the logs 2" maximum diameter. I tried doing some short & fat ones like most summer sausage is but the inside portion wasn't thoroughly cooked and the outside was a bit dry. Now I aim for a log about the size of pepperoni used on pizza as it cooks perfectly and slices fit on a cracker for parties.

I just use 2" fibrous casings.

hharke

Button Buck
Contributor
I have had venison summer sausage from all over to include made by the Amish. the absolute best was here in NC. Wildlife Processers at Ellerbe make the best I have ever seen. They do great snack sticks and jerky also. I have had them do about 4-6 deer a year for past 4 years.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Like others have said, I too use 2" fibrous casings. I also am too lazy to mix up my own blend of spices etc. I use the High Mountain summer sausage kit from either Cabelas or Bass Pro. Its been a hit every time I've brought it out.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Like others have said, I too use 2" fibrous casings. I also am too lazy to mix up my own blend of spices etc. I use the High Mountain summer sausage kit from either Cabelas or Bass Pro. Its been a hit every time I've brought it out.
yeah the cabelas kits are awesome. I have made the snack sticks and summer suasage ones and gave them as gifts and everyone loved them.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
To tie threads together, I keep thinking "Holy Crap! Summer sausage prices are Insane!".

One reason why I make my own.