Honda 4 wheeler won't down shift

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got a 2015 500 Honda that will not shift down from 2nd into Neutral so that I can start it. I've tried rocking it back and forth and still nothing. It acts like there is now power in the electronic shifter switch. Anyone else ever run into this ?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you have a garage you can pull it into and/or a tarp, and hair dryer, I'd put the hairdryer on a box and cover it and the 4-wheeler for a little bit. Warm everything up since you can't start it to warm itself up. Then try. It's worth a shot before trying to find what you need to disassemble. I did a quick internet search and some forums are leaning towards the factory grease being way to thick. Hindering operation at low temps.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Some of the older ES models had a manual override for the shifter. Check to see if yours does. My brother's old 450ES Foreman had the override and a small tool to shift the gears.

<>< Fish

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good point Fish. Off topic, but for future reference, Jeep Wranglers have them too. Didn't know that til I was reading the owner's manual to the one we bought last week.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had an intermittent shifting issue with an older 250ES and it was an angle sensor issue. Replaced the angle sensor and no more problem.

I have a 2014 500ES now that I ride in all types of weather, especially cold and wet as in Jan. and Feb. Never had an issue with the shifter on it but I rarely ever power it off unless it is in neutral.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Had this problem few yrs back, and the angle sensor went bad...got one from Honda replaced it myself. Probably google Honda problems in shifting and lead you right thru how to replace...only took hour or so if I remember. Never had another problem with ES since.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Had the same problem with mine on the 03
This is the reason I got the manual shift on the 2017.

There are so many things that can cause it to happen.
Shift motor, shift sensor, wire, fuse, button.

Mine did it and I used the manual over ride on it. It would shift up but not down.
I pulled the rope pull several times trying to shift getting it to work.
It would work fine and start again a few months later.

Just something getting jammed up but bumping it and rope pull always made things move enough to start working.

RBR

Six Pointer
Mine will start while holding the hand brake if in gear, but the engine will run a little rough. Maybe if you can get it started it might downshift. Good Luck.