Backstrap and tenderloin

robertc

Eight Pointer
I do majority of the meat that is cooked at my house. The wife is an excellent Baker and does great on other things but usually the chicken turkey beef venison is all left up to me

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hey guys, in my opinion I can't imagine a better sauce for the venison. The cloves and balsamic are perfect additions. FWIW I buy the Costco Kirkland Tawny Port. It's cheap ($17) and actually pretty good. I cooked the venison sous vide but adapted the recipe from elk and changed the temp to 129 for 24 hours, then quickly seared and basted in cast iron to finish. I followed the recipe otherwise. Link to original recipe, and below just the sauce recipe.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activitie...-reduction-with-wild-game-expert-david-draper

1) 150 g Cherries, pitted and halved (I used frozen since cherries aren't in season now)
Set up a smoker to smoke at a low temperature (around 150–170 ˚F / 65–75 °C). Place the cherries in a small foil tray in the smoker, and let the smoke roll over them for 30 minutes.

2) 180 ml Port
15 ml Balsamic vinegar
Ground cloves, a pinch, as needed
15 g Butter
In a small pan, combine the smoked cherries, port, balsamic vinegar, and cloves. Place over medium-high heat and simmer, stirring. When the sauce thickens and reduces slightly, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.

Next deer I shoot I'm saving the shanks to do the venison osso buco you'll notice at the bottom of the linked page.

I'm usually a butter, salt & pepper kind of guy with my tenderloins, but that recipe looks and sounds good. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I slice my straps and poke holes in them with a fork. Marinate in Italian dressing for at least 24 hours, add some steak seasoning, wrap with a piece of bacon and slap it on the grill!!

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
How did you cook those backstraps? As even as it is cooked, its looks like it was done in the oven.

cooked them sous vide. Makes it so easy and perfectly cooked all the way through. Here's a few other meats showing how even the temp is throughout. Absolutely no overcooking.

Sirloin cap steak DSC00998_3.jpg

Filet DSC01089.jpg

Chuck roast DSC04566.jpg

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
cooked them sous vide. Makes it so easy and perfectly cooked all the way through. Here's a few other meats showing how even the temp is throughout. Absolutely no overcooking.

Sirloin cap steak View attachment 58613

Filet View attachment 58614

Chuck roast View attachment 58615

very cool. I need to familiarize myself more with sous vide, I see a lot of people using this method. How do you get the brown outside? do you sear the meat in a pan afterwards? Also do you use the actual Sous Vide machine or do you use something else?

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
very cool. I need to familiarize myself more with sous vide, I see a lot of people using this method. How do you get the brown outside? do you sear the meat in a pan afterwards? Also do you use the actual Sous Vide machine or do you use something else?

Yeah the best practice is to keep it in the bag and ice down after cooking, then you can sear in a pan, grill, smoke, torch or however you want to finish. I've been cooking my proteins mainly sous vide for the last 3 years, long before it ever became popular. I currently have 3 circulators (2 Joules, 1 Anova), and would never ever recommend a sous vide container, such as the sous vide supreme. You can get the best, which is ChefSteps Joule for about $160. Another option is the Anova which goes on sale between $100-$130 for the wifi version. Don't go with bluetooth only as it's not as flexible when setting/checking temps when out of range. Monoprice also has a super cheap bluetooth one, but I've never used or seen anybody with it.

Some info to get you started:
https://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...e-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Let me know if I can answer any other questions

- James

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Yeah the best practice is to keep it in the bag and ice down after cooking, then you can sear in a pan, grill, smoke, torch or however you want to finish. I've been cooking my proteins mainly sous vide for the last 3 years, long before it ever became popular. I currently have 3 circulators (2 Joules, 1 Anova), and would never ever recommend a sous vide container, such as the sous vide supreme. You can get the best, which is ChefSteps Joule for about $160. Another option is the Anova which goes on sale between $100-$130 for the wifi version. Don't go with bluetooth only as it's not as flexible when setting/checking temps when out of range. Monoprice also has a super cheap bluetooth one, but I've never used or seen anybody with it.

Some info to get you started:
https://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...e-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Let me know if I can answer any other questions

- James

Wow, great info, thank you!

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
The tenderloin runs from the edge of the rib cage to the hip. Near the kidneys and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
dropnbassonu........ where are you located, or if around NC, where from originally? Don't see much cooking around here unless you are connected with a high-end restaurant and the "g." weights aren't the norm. Sounds like you and Vivian Howard would get along famously. Welcome to the site. I'm sure many here will benefit from your experience.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
dropnbassonu........ where are you located, or if around NC, where from originally? Don't see much cooking around here unless you are connected with a high-end restaurant and the "g." weights aren't the norm. Sounds like you and Vivian Howard would get along famously. Welcome to the site. I'm sure many here will benefit from your experience.

Hey! Thanks for the kind words. I'm a big fan of Vivian and her style of cooking. I'm always happy to help with cooking advice here. I'm in Clemmons and originally from Davie County. I've been measuring things in grams for a while now, makes things so much easier once you get used to it. I just enjoy cooking, and have always loved trying and experimenting with food. I'm in my mid 30's and have a 5 & 6 year old and just biding my time before I can start taking them. They beg to go every time I go, but with the little bit of land we have to hunt I'm afraid they'll booger up one of the 3 stands my dad and I hunt. Maybe over Christmas break I'll take them so we can drop a doe and they can start learning how to clean one.

foolish

Six Pointer
I leave them I. 90% of the deer I kill . For some reason I don't like the taste ,always strong to me.love me some backstraps

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I slice my straps and poke holes in them with a fork. Marinate in Italian dressing for at least 24 hours, add some steak seasoning, wrap with a piece of bacon and slap it on the grill!!

I just knew that italian dressing and bacon would make it to the thread!!