Backstrap and tenderloin

Wzbell

Button Buck
I have killed only a few deer and usually quarter them so I hope this question isn’t stupid.

Back straps have always been called tenderloin from the people I hunt with but I was watching something on YouTube that referenced the loin is taken from the inside under the backstrap. Is that the case and they are two different pieces of meat?

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Yes. The meat on the inside of the rib cage is the actual tenderloin. The back strap is what the rib eye would be. Please don’t post how many tenderloins you’ve left in deer you’ve harvested. It will make some of us cry. Then you’ll cry after you get your first ones on the grill and realize what you’ve been missing.

Wzbell

Button Buck
Yes. The meat on the inside of the rib cage is the actual tenderloin. The back strap is what the rib eye would be. Please don’t post how many tenderloins you’ve left in deer you’ve harvested. It will make some of us cry. Then you’ll cry after you get your first ones on the grill and realize what you’ve been missing.

None! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sweet meat and backstraps.... on the rare occasion I take a deer to the butcher I remove the sweet meat after dressing. They tend to try out if left to hang.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
The tenderloins inside the body cavity are by far the best meat on a deer. It amazes me how many people don't cut them out.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
What purpose do those inner loins serve to a deer? If they are so tender (and they are!) what movements are they used in so infrequently?

ditchbank

Banned
Tenderloins go on the grill immediately After a kill hot coals for 3 min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What purpose do those inner loins serve to a deer? If they are so tender (and they are!) what movements are they used in so infrequently?

Most (all?) mammals / quadrapeds have them,,,,they don't do much work (and that's why they are so tender ) ,,,,they are hip flexors,,,,

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor

They don't have much use at all which is why they are the most tender cut of meat on the carcass. They are the same muscles as tenderloin in beef, pork etc but being venison they have more flavor than the beef or pork ones. They are best with quick dry heat and will fall apart if braised, stewed etc. Like most venison cooking them no more than medium rare is key and most folks prefer them rare. Think "cut its throat, wipe its butt and throw it on the plate......"

I made venison tenderloins last night for our dinner. They got a light dusting with my wife's Montreal steak seasoning and salt an hour or two before dinner, got blotted dry with a paper towel just before cooking. I used a screaming hot cast iron pan, a quick swipe of the pan with a paper towel that had a bit of oil in it and on went the tenderloins for maybe two minutes per side.

Lance

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
I always slice mine up and save them to batter,fry and cover in sausage gravy and eat with biscuits. It is so tender that it just falls apart in your mouth.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
Agree with the others here. The backstrap is technically a loin, whereas the tenderloin is what it's name implies. Here's a couple backstraps I cooked a few weeks ago. Served with a smoked cherry-port sauce.

1110171928-01.jpg1110171931-01.jpg

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Backstraps in pork would be center cut pork chop, in beef the Rib Eye. Tenderloin would be tenderloin in pork and in beef the Filet Mignon. Great for any meal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Backstraps in pork would be center cut pork chop, in beef the Rib Eye. Tenderloin would be tenderloin in pork and in beef the Filet Mignon. Great for any meal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

False, it is the strip loin in beef aka ny strip...well the whole thing will count I guess.

Good info here, its a cow but anatomy is close

http://www.homesteadmeatsevanston.com/articles/13-ribs-that-will-make-your-mouth-happy

Also, closest thing you can get from a store is a boneless whole pork loin

Last edited:

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
Hey guys, in my opinion I can't imagine a better sauce for the venison. The cloves and balsamic are perfect additions. FWIW I buy the Costco Kirkland Tawny Port. It's cheap ($17) and actually pretty good. I cooked the venison sous vide but adapted the recipe from elk and changed the temp to 129 for 24 hours, then quickly seared and basted in cast iron to finish. I followed the recipe otherwise. Link to original recipe, and below just the sauce recipe.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activitie...-reduction-with-wild-game-expert-david-draper

1) 150 g Cherries, pitted and halved (I used frozen since cherries aren't in season now)
Set up a smoker to smoke at a low temperature (around 150–170 ˚F / 65–75 °C). Place the cherries in a small foil tray in the smoker, and let the smoke roll over them for 30 minutes.

2) 180 ml Port
15 ml Balsamic vinegar
Ground cloves, a pinch, as needed
15 g Butter
In a small pan, combine the smoked cherries, port, balsamic vinegar, and cloves. Place over medium-high heat and simmer, stirring. When the sauce thickens and reduces slightly, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.

Next deer I shoot I'm saving the shanks to do the venison osso buco you'll notice at the bottom of the linked page.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Venison osso buco is good stuff

Thanks for sharing the recipe for your loin and sauce

Last edited: