What kind of cold weather food are y'all cooking today?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Because of the forecast, I made chili on Thursday.

Ground turkey, turkey sausage, diced green pepper, diced onion, diced green chilis, garlic, fresh cracked pepper, crushed tomatoes, black beans, and kidney beans.

I slice the precooked sausage, then dump it and everything else(except the ground turkey) in a Dutch oven or big pot and cover. I brown the ground turkey and press out the fat before adding to everything else. Cook on medium low for a couple hours and it's done.

I will try this chili recipe..Anyone else want to share a chili recipe, we like to try it fixed different ways..If so, thanks..

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
nice,,,,empanadas are good eats,,,,,,,

how many come with a knife purchase???
Hmmmm, that could be the hook I've been searching for!

Funny thing is, I quench some of my blades in the used canola oil. Some knives already come with a "hint" of empanadas.

Last edited:

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Venison stew in the crock pot: 1) Make a broth of 1.5 cups beef broth, .75 cups Bloody Mary Mix, .75 cups red wine (Merlot or Cab), TBSP Worchestershire sauce. Heat broth mix in crockpot while you dust venison cubes with flour and brown in some oil. 2) Add venison (about 1.5 to 2 lbs) to crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours (or until venison is getting nice and tender). 3) Peel and cube 2 or 3 potatoes, 2 or 3 carrots, 2 or 3 stalks of celery, half an onion, add to crock pot. Ready to eat when vegetables are tender (about 1.5 to 2 hours), and venison cubes are falling apart.

Any other favorite stew recipes out there?

C52

Eight Pointer
Made a pot of deer vegetable soup today with hot rotel. Still have have some left for lunch tommorow

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Just started a perlot. Had a deer sausage/fried egg breakfast this morning

I take a hot dried pepper from the farm and run it through a food processor until it is dust and add it to the sausage and chicken perlo we make. One for a big stock pot is enough to season.

<>< Fish

Made a big pot of andoullie and deer gumbo this weekend. Eating it for lunch now. Always better the next day.

Gumbo is always my go to cold weather meal. You use a pack or make it from a roux? I'll do both, just depends on if I have the time to dedicate to do it from scratch.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Made a big pot of andoullie and deer gumbo this weekend. Eating it for lunch now. Always better the next day.

I wouldn't cross the street for a Klondike bar (remember the commercials?) but I'd do some sketchy things for really good gumbo. I haven't had any since travelling through Louisiana back in August.

<>< Fish

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Deer hunting in Northampton Co was washed out on Saturday so I made a big batch of chili. unfortunately I hadn't thawed any ground venison so I used 10# beef & sausage for a large batch that'll last a good part of the winter. I'm planning on cooking a chicken bog (Perlo) next weekend.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Always make the roux from scratch. Didn't spend 6 years in grad school at LSU for nothing. I've got to keep the heat somewhat in check for the kids, but I'm slowly building their tolerance. And one boy is the biggest fan of my homemade Boudin, but can't get the wife or other kid to touch it. Need to work on my jambalaya making, but have gumbo , boudin, sauce picante nailed. This has me hungry again. Could go for some good meat pies.

Gumbo is always my go to cold weather meal. You use a pack or make it from a roux? I'll do both, just depends on if I have the time to dedicate to do it from scratch.

Last edited:
Always make the roux from scratch. Didn't spend 6 years in grad school at LSU for nothing. I've got to keep the heat somewhat in check for the kids, but I'm slowly building their tolerance. And one boy is the biggest fan of my homemade Boudin, but can't get the wife or other kid to touch it. Need to work on my jambalaya making, but have gumbo , boudin, sauce picante nailed. This has me hungry again. Could go for some good meat pies.

Aww man, I miss meat pies... & cracklins... Blackened alligator sounds good too.

If you ever make too much boudin and need some help, holla at me! Were you the one talking about deer liver boudin in the other thread? growing up in LA I never heard of anyone doing this... I'm going to have to give that a shot.

Last edited:

strut buster

Eight Pointer
That was me. I'll be making a batch of boudin soon enough. I'll be glad to freeze and mail you some. I read on the MS forum the other day (where I"m really from) about a guy saving all his hearts for boudin. Now I've gotta try that. Haven't had alligator since the spring when I ordered a pound with my yearly 30 lb sack of crawfish I get delivered. If you can't find them local (and I never can) LA crawfish company delivers and 99% of them are still alive when they get here.

Aww man, I miss meat pies... & cracklins... Blackened alligator sounds good too.

If you ever make too much boudin and need some help, holla at me! Were you the one talking about deer liver boudin in the other thread? growing up in LA I never heard of anyone doing this... I'm going to have to give that a shot.

Last edited:
That was me. I'll be making a batch of boudin soon enough. I'll be glad to freeze and mail you some. I read on the MS forum the other day (where I"m really from) about a guy saving all his hearts for boudin. Now I've gotta try that. Haven't had alligator since the spring when I ordered a pound with my yearly 30 lb sack of crawfish I get delivered. If you can't find them local (and I never can) LA crawfish company delivers and 99% of them are still alive when they get here.

I did LA crawfish earlier in the year, and I will be using them again! Thanks to you guys for that suggestion, I'm used to usually getting them direct from guys pulling them out the spillway. I was impressed with the quality. I tacked on a bunch of lagniappe to my order... The boudin I got didn't last long. It's cheaper to order from LA than it is to buy local. There's over 30 crawfish farms in the state, but they all wanted over $7 per pound.

I'll take you up on the boudin offer. I will be saving livers from now on for this reason.