2017 Deer Hunting Videos

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had some down time last week and got a chance to put together some of the footage from my 2017 season so far. If you have the internet speed watch it in full HD.

The first video is a decent 8-point I shot with my ML on an unmanaged farm that we hunt. This particular farm is the only one that we share with other hunters. We used to have exclusive rights, but through death/inheritance, the owners' son now hunts the bulk of it. We keep one good stand in a classic 3-way funnel between 3 small hay fields and a wood lot heavy with white oaks. I watched this buck for awhile but decided this was a good one to take given the circumstances.

[video=youtube;7kRGyVnIghs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRGyVnIghs[/video]

This second video is one where I took my two sons along with me. It was the first hunt tagging along for my 5 year old. They really got treated to a good hunt despite the fact that we didn't kill anything. Turkeys, 2 good bucks, and 2 smaller bucks fighting made for an exciting 2 and a half hours. We really have had some good hunts when my sons have tagged along with me. I keep telling them that this is not normal for hunting, and that I have been many times this season without seeing anything, but they don't believe me. No kill, just some good wildlife activity. The footage is shot through a window, so it's not quite as sharp. I like to keep the windows closed for scent reasons when the boys are with me.

[video=youtube;nGk0tRE4j4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGk0tRE4j4w[/video]

The last one is a doe hunt here in Cabarrus county behind the house. I had one deer aging in the cooler and was looking for a nice doe to butcher with it. It was one of those picture perfect cool, clear November afternoons where the temps were going to drop off quickly. It was neat because I first saw the deers' shadow in the late afternoon sun across the logging road for about a minute before they stepped out. Even though I was looking for meat, I didn't shoot in the road because there was another shadow coming. It was Nov. 19th...so I waited... turned out to be another young one. This doe was pretty smart though because it took her another 20 minutes to circle downwind of the stand and come in from the other side. I aimed low in the heart with the .223, and she almost plowed out of there. 30 yards was as far as she could go.

[video=youtube;TSya9vZLoDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSya9vZLoDU[/video]

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Congratulations on some fine videos and a couple of deer for the freezer. I know the boys enjoyed that action packed day in the woods!

VikingsFan8178

nice videos. maybe one of these days I will be coordinated enough to hunt and film.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why does that deers back up alarm keep going off when he is clearly moving forward in the first video?

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Nice watching this is better than shows on TV. No comercials!!

That, and also nice not having the "Skyhawk Hunting is brought to you by.... products", immediatly followed by the the camera filming the unknowing hunters closeup feet and distant shots of unknowing hunter walking to the stand, immediatly followed by "an interview while in stand", immediately followed by a "rundown of hitlist bucks" (which always crack me up), immediately followed by either the worst country or rock music while buck is walking to a corn piles, only to fade to quiet one second before the shot, with more intense country or rock as buck runs off, immediatly followed by "I think I'm going to back out because of the bad shot until tomorrow.
And that my friends is why I hate hunting videos. They're all the same!

Thank you Skyhawk for letting me hear nature at it's best, shot or no shot!

VikingsFan8178

That, and also nice not having the "Skyhawk Hunting is brought to you by.... products", immediatly followed by the the camera filming the unknowing hunters closeup feet and distant shots of unknowing hunter walking to the stand, immediatly followed by "an interview while in stand", immediately followed by a "rundown of hitlist bucks" (which always crack me up), immediately followed by either the worst country or rock music while buck is walking to a corn piles, only to fade to quiet one second before the shot, with more intense country or rock as buck runs off, immediatly followed by "I think I'm going to back out because of the bad shot until tomorrow.
And that my friends is why I hate hunting videos. They're all the same!

Thank you Skyhawk for letting me hear nature at it's best, shot or no shot!

THIS! You would think that as much as I love hunting that I would love to watch these shows on TV. I cannot do it. I watch for about 10 minutes and then have to change the channel. It all just feels too fake to me.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why does that deers back up alarm keep going off when he is clearly moving forward in the first video?

Good catch.

I have a camera about 80 yards down the lane that I hadn't checked in a few weeks. I went down to pull the card before I hunted. My pants brushed up against some greenbriar and he was showing some reservation about continuing down that lane. I edited out about a minute and a half of him sniffing around.

I haven't had much trouble at all with boot scent, but when any kind of vegetation brushes up against me on the way in, they seem to react to it. I had a group of does get right under me and do the same thing in the same spot a few weeks prior.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont think you caught it at all!!

Listen to the audio .... there is a piece of heavy equipment operating and the back up alarm keeps sounding ... but i do see what you are talking about but i aint sharp enuff to catch that myself

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh that....:eek::eek: That's the farmer loading up round bales onto a trailer with his skid loader about 500 yards away.

I thought you were using that figuratively...

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I keep waiting on you to post some video footage from this year. Either of those nice bucks make it on film?

The first ten I got on film . I actually forgot the camera was on an got the shot as well. I was using my old camera and the shot was at LSL and it us grainy. I was on the edge of some really thick stuff. I have some good footage I will post after season.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Excellent videos. I try to video some hunts but never seem to be able to "walk and chew gum" at the same time when the moment of truth happens. LOL

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That happens some too. There have been a few where I had to make a decision between killing the deer or trying to film it.

The reason the camera was lagging in that first video, was I was trying to look through my binos and judge the deer at the same time I was panning. You can't be looking 2 different places at once. What you need Larry is a dedicated cameraman.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I will tell you it is very tough to do. Especially if you bowhunt. Over the years I cant tell you how many have just been out of frame for the shot or on the the wrong side of the tree. I am hoping that with the new camera I can leave the camera on a wider focus and zoom in more in the post processing. I also think leaving the optical zoom off will help.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A 20x optical makes a big difference. Digital zoom is a gimmick. It's like zooming after the fact with PP.