What happens when the feeder goes off.....

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yep ... one fellow once proudly told me ... "they come in like clockwork". I don't think that's true at my buddy's feeder, though.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I know when the feeder is about to run aand I still jump and cuss under my breath when it comes on!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Had the same problem yesterday afternoon. It was about as good as it gets, 35 degrees, spitting a little snow, perhaps 6 _ 7 inches on the ground and practically no wind. Since I haven't had near as much hunting time this season as I would like I did set up on a corn feeder.

Suddenly I saw a half dozen small birds fly in under the feeder. I also hear a bunch of crows raising cane about 75 yards up the mountain above the feeder. I had my hearing aides in and turned up pretty high, I was going to hear any deer trying to sneak in behind me in the slightly crusted snow. Then it happened. That feeder went off and I dang near jumped out of the stand (I did have my safety harness on and hooked to the life line LOL). I saw exactly zero deer but it was a good feeling to be out hunting.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
i set up a feeder and all the bucks left lol. Feeding nothing but coons n birds and a couple a small does. Had to shut it down

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i set up a feeder and all the bucks left lol. Feeding nothing but coons n birds and a couple a small does. Had to shut it down

I've had the exact same results, at two different locations, and my feeders are hung about 15 feet high between two trees. Relatively quiet feeders, too. I don't understand it.

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've watched deer and turkeys come running when the feeder goes off. Saw a little six pointer run away like he was on fire when the feeder came on. He probably wasn't from around here. lol

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I too have mine hanging about 15 feet up between two trees. Same feeder that I cranked the barrel two high and since one end of the cable is quite a bit higher than the other end the feeder moved over real close to one of the trees. I had just filled the feeder with 350 lbs of corn. A few days later when i went back to pull the SD card i noticed parts and pieces of the timer laying on the ground. What the heck has happened here. When I got home and viewed the videos on the SD card it became clear. It showed a dang bear climbing up the tree, knocking the timer completely off the bottom of the barrel and dumping ALL of the corn. It also showed the darn bear sleeping in the corn pile for two or three more days.

So word to the wise. Make sure if you hang your feeder like that don't leave it positioned close enough to either tree so that a bear can reach it. Incidentally I did not expect a bear there, maybe 100 -- 150 yards behind my house.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the electronic caller that duplicates the sound of a feeder is the state deer call of texas.:)

the tales of deer avoiding them here are a mystery that needs solving.

why would they spook?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I found that I could duplicate the sound of a feeder going off by putting some corn in a soup can and using a coffee frother to spin the corn.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If you want to never see a buck again put one of those up at my aunts house in Caswell.

As can be seen by this thread, deer are like real estate - location, location, location. It seems to me that deer in rural counties are bothered by a feeder but deer in a more populated county are not.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've always just set mine to only go off at noon for about 20 seconds. Dumps plenty for the day and rarely have to worry about spooking anything....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Exactly. Never figured out why guys set their feeder to go off when they expect deer to be under it.

I want the deer to never hear or see the feeder. I only run one now, and it's nowhere near the bedding area. It's almost 30' up goes off at 1 pm.

Around us bucks won't tolerate eating out of a barrel, or metal clanging in the woods.

scott medlin

Four Pointer
put up my first feeder this year. a boss buck gravity feeder and the deer avoided it like the plauge. any answers as to why.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Had 1 feeder in my life. Bear liked it more than deer. They liked it so much they tore it up. I have not bought another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk