Electrician needed

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Any recommendations for a reputable, dependable electrician?

I may even take one who will actually return a phone call as the #1 criteria rather than being reputable, I am beginning to lower my standards of expectations.

Examples:
Electrician #1 - recommended by several; placed a call about 2 weeks ago. He answered immediately, was very nice on the phone, and said, yes I can do that work and will come out this week. No show and no return calls. I called and left 2 messages, no return calls.

Electrician #2 - have used before, great work, have left 2 messages. No return calls.

Electrician #3 - Decided I would bite the bullet and pay the normally higher service from a chain out of Raleigh. Great reviews on-line; very professional and helpful over the phone. Made an appointment, even called during the week to confirm - then took off work early to be here. You guessed it - no show and no call.

If you have a son/daughter who is seeking a profession - seems like this is the one as apparently there is so much work to be had nobody actually has to show any customer service to stay busy. Rant over......

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What part of Franklin County and what type of work?
One is doing some work for us at the shop so I will see him later today. I can get the numbers for other two guys I was thinking of later today and report back.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What part of Franklin County and what type of work?
One is doing some work for us at the shop so I will see him later today. I can get the numbers for other two guys I was thinking of later today and report back.

Sending you a PM; thanks.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard good electricians are one of the hardest contractors to find.

I am lucky and have a good one here who is very responsive (at least to me), but that doesn't help you in Franklin Co.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If ANY of them ever call back I would kindly tell them why they will never work for me.......inconsiderate, unprofessional, COST ME MONEY TO MISS WORK, etc........are terms that get their attn.

As for #3.....I'd email or write the CEO to let him know why they wont get my business.......HE NEEDS TO KNOW.

Wouldn't you?.........if you were CEO?........you betcha!

Have you looked for info/reviews on Angies List?

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If ANY of them ever call back I would kindly tell them why they will never work for me.......inconsiderate, unprofessional, COST ME MONEY TO MISS WORK, etc........are terms that get their attn.

As for #3.....I'd email or write the CEO to let him know why they wont get my business.......HE NEEDS TO KNOW.

Wouldn't you?.........if you were CEO?........you betcha!

Have you looked for info/reviews on Angies List?

I spoke to #3 main guy today. I posted on their website and he called me today. He offered to set another appointment but I told him I was not interested as if I could not trust them to keep an appointment, how could I trust them to do electrical work at my house.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Good electricians are hard to find. Great ones are worth their higher prices imho. Bad electrical companies have cost me $ Thousands and untold man hours year after year.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I work for a general contractor and we use electricians daily. Sometimes i cant get one for emergencies and thats working hand in hand with a company every day. They are slammed.

turkeyfootnc

Six Pointer
Unfortunately a lot of people not so much electricians are not dependable. Sadly I'm afraid we are going to have to get used to it.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I am just lucky in that my son is an electrician.. helps that he lives next door. A Jack of all trades, he put a tin roof on the house, new siding and underpinning.. looks good... oh yea... built me a 8x12 deck. I provided the materials and he put it together on his off time.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Any recommendations for a reputable, dependable electrician?

I may even take one who will actually return a phone call as the #1 criteria rather than being reputable, I am beginning to lower my standards of expectations.

Examples:
Electrician #1 - recommended by several; placed a call about 2 weeks ago. He answered immediately, was very nice on the phone, and said, yes I can do that work and will come out this week. No show and no return calls. I called and left 2 messages, no return calls.

Electrician #2 - have used before, great work, have left 2 messages. No return calls.

Electrician #3 - Decided I would bite the bullet and pay the normally higher service from a chain out of Raleigh. Great reviews on-line; very professional and helpful over the phone. Made an appointment, even called during the week to confirm - then took off work early to be here. You guessed it - no show and no call.

If you have a son/daughter who is seeking a profession - seems like this is the one as apparently there is so much work to be had nobody actually has to show any customer service to stay busy. Rant over......

Well, as a long time contractor I can attest that there are a lot folks in business who are not businessmen. For the last 40 years the number one complaint about contractors is their consistent failure to follow up on or return calls....

There's not much about you can do about the the second guy . You can't bitch too much if he didn't call back. But you may want to consider a complaint to the Better Business Bureau for the other two. The BBB looks into all credible complaints and posts the result of their looking into them online for all to see-even if the business is not a BBB member. I know it's a PITA to do but unless someone makes the bad behavior of a business hurt then there is little motivation for them to improve.

As for the third business you could state in the part of the complaint form that asks for you desired resolution that if they blew off a definite appointment that you don't trust them to work on your property.

Lance