Duck hunting in snow

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Man, to bad next session doesnt start till next Saturday, i sure would have loved to hunt with all this snow around in Hickory/Morganton area. Sure would have made for a pretty hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Man, to bad next session doesnt start till next Saturday, i sure would have loved to hunt with all this snow around in Hickory/Morganton area. Sure would have made for a pretty hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You would have been solo haha I hate snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
And you would have been unsuccessful..... Ducks don't like sleet or snow when flying....It would have been a pretty scene though....

We’ve had some great hunts in the snow! I’d season was in tomorrow I’d find a way to be out there

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
And you would have been unsuccessful..... Ducks don't like sleet or snow when flying....It would have been a pretty scene though....

You are very wrong. The snow throws them into a feeding frenzy. We shot 12 limits last year in the snow/sleet in Hyde. Had to stop shooting Pintails as we had our limits.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
i have had some of the best hunts of my life in the snow...........wanchese and the blackheads...........the year the sound froze slam across at the inlet, and again a few years ago in wanchese, and one day in hyde......drove 70 mph to fairfield to hunt the next day in the snow, shot limits in 10 minutes or less in almost zero visibility. had to drive home the next morning, what is normally an hour drive took 3+! Some serious white knuckle driving on 264, no tracks headed back. If you can safely do it, snow hunts produce.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Had some great hunts in snow as well! Also killed a banded swan in snow...rests on trophy room wall now

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Another fan of snow hunting. Especially the little periods when it slows or stops for 30 minutes or so. You can flat out be invaded!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Had a hunt many years ago on falls lake in the snow. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves. Epic would be an understatement.
Snow is the only weather I’ve ever seen that will turn decoys into every pintail’s best friend. Snow makes pintails stupid and usually they’re the smartest bird flying based on my experiences.

Snow seems to turn on the teal too but so does rain so I don’t really count them as “snow birds”.....

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I have had the same experience with pintails in the snow. Would kill limits and watch them hover over decoys rest of morning, then push through a bunch in our boat headed back to ramp quite a few times on snow days.

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I like hunting any moving water I can find when things are locked up and snowing. If you find open eater or can keep a hole in the ice open, it can be a great hunt.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I like hunting any moving water I can find when things are locked up and snowing. If you find open eater or can keep a hole in the ice open, it can be a great hunt.

Yeah...If you can get out and break a big hole one way or another it can be really productive.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
best 2 diver hunts I EVER had were on the Neuse River and behind Ocrakoke with it blowing and spitting sleet and snow..........never seen so many bluebills and readheads.......could have shot a case of shells both times........best puddle duck hunt was at Buckhorn here in Wilson county.......Heavy heavy snow and tons of mallards, widgeon and gadwall around.......we were done within 20 minutes......we just sat there for another 2 hours and watched group after group fall in the dekes.......

Hunted in the snow this weekend up here. Slammed it, there were birds flying everywhere. Brant, scaup, mallards and blacks