Glenfield Model 60 scope mounting

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am considering purchasing a BSA Sweet .22 3-9 x 40 mm objective rifle scope for my 1970 Glenfield Marlin Model 60 with the 2 grooves milled into the top of the receiver (this rifle is not drilled & tapped for bases) and would appreciate some feedback. I have already ordered an inexpensive set of Leupold Rifleman .22 RF 3/8" detachable See-Thru Rings, Model # 57323, from Brownells. Does anyone know if this combination will work and will the scope's 40 mm objective have enough clearance without having to remove the rear factory sight? Any advice?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
See through rings are junk, the best bet is mount the scope as close to the bore and if you have remove the sights do so.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, they should work with plenty of clearance for a scope with a 40mm objective.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Those should probably fit but I'd mount the scope lower and remove the rear sight if needed. Unless you just have to have see through mounts there are better ways to mount your scope.

If you remove the rear sight drive it out with a brass punch from the left to the right and put it up for safekeeping.

<>< Fish

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm not dead set on see-thru rings, but was only looking to gain enough height with these Leupold rings so the 40 mm objective scope would have sufficient clearance from the barrel. I would be satisfied if the scope had just enough clearance to slide an index card through. Any alternative suggestions on which specific rings to use to mount the scope on a grooved receiver?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it is a AO scope you most likely will have to go with medium rings if not you can go with low most likely. I would get a set of Millet rings and I think you will be happy.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If it is a AO scope you most likely will have to go with medium rings if not you can go with low most likely. I would get a set of Millet rings and I think you will be happy.

Good luck finding Millets, they went out of production about a year ago.....

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have a set of rifleman rings for my Model 60 and they aren't the see-thru type. I haven't had any trouble with them.
I have a 4x32 on mine and it fits fine but I'm not sure if a 40mm would make it without removing the sight. It would be close. Heres a pic of mine so maybe it will help.

I think it's Leapers that makes a base for a Model 60. If I was a serious shooter thats what I would buy.
dca910cbc1c4aa15e5e9cf9a4caf89f9.jpg

sent from...... Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck finding Millets, they went out of production about a year ago.....

I got a set of Millets that are for grooved receivers. Med I think as well. and I agree with NCCF ..see thrus are junk. when I inherited my 35 rem with a nice Leopold scope the first thing I did was to take off the see thru rings and get the scope back where it belongs.

Last edited:

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the pic MJ74, this is what I was looking for. Do you remember if these Rifleman rings were low or medium height? Thanks for everyone's advice...I think I am going to return the see-thru rings.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the pic MJ74, this is what I was looking for. Do you remember if these Rifleman rings were low or medium height? Thanks for everyone's advice...I think I am going to return the see-thru rings.
I really can't remember but I want to say it only came in one size, just different finishes like gloss,matte and silver.

sent from...... Tapatalk