Deer jerky

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I posted this a while back it the recipe I use just didn’t feel like typing it out again
9032530051a8c90fe155bad7c4d182cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Allegro marinade, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, jalapeños, apple cider vinegar and whatever spice you like. Soak for a
Couple days and then drain off all the marinade. Dehydrate depending on how thick the cuts are. I usually stick to 7-8 hours on 150 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I swear the only way to mess it up is to use too much liquid smoke. Outside of that, throw anything reasonable in there and it will turn out. I like to use dales and a little A1 for a liquid base, then play around with whatever dry spices I'm in the mood for.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Allegro Hot & Spicy
Allegro Hickory Smoke

Mix 50/50 and use just enough to cover all the meat. i usually use a gallon ziplock bag and squeeze all the air out. drain marinade and dehydrate to personal preference of dryness.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Allegro Hot & Spicy
Allegro Hickory Smoke

Mix 50/50 and use just enough to cover all the meat. i usually use a gallon ziplock bag and squeeze all the air out. drain marinade and dehydrate to personal preference of dryness.

What Papa_Smurf said. Simple and delicious.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I just use Allegro hot and spicy, put the strips in a bag, pour in the allegro, soak overnight in fridge, 160 degrees in dehydrator till its done.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, curing salt, honey, liquid smoke

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
What is everyone's favorite seasoning for Deer jerky? We like dales steak marinade.

I dabble often in Jerky and I found a really cool way to make fantastic jerky. The marinade really isn't that important...yah I said it. Use any marinade you like but don't put any liquid smoke in it and don't use a store bought if it has liquid smoke. That's step one, next take it out of the marinade (doesn't matter how long it's been in there) pat it dry and hang in a smoker or strip it out on a simple weber grill and put some good clean hard wood smoke through it. Any wood works but oak is my favorite. I run the smoke for about 2 to 3 hours max and keep the temps on the low-low girls. (That's a hip-hop reference, sorry.) When I say low temp don't even touch 180 keep it at about 150 or 160 is fine. Next pull it out and expect it to be moist still. Here's the brilliant part: now put it in the dehydrator until you reach the perfect jerky dryness you prefer. You've got full control of your final product, which is the best part of this process, because the texture to me (not the marinade) is what makes really good jerky. I hope this makes sense - Cheers.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
next take it out of the marinade (doesn't matter how long it's been in there)

I don't really agree with this part. I find the final flavor of jerky to improve a lot if you leave it in the marinade longer. Jerky left two days in the bag is better than one. There is the law of diminishing returns. A third day improves it more but leaving it for several weeks doesn't. I judge when the meat is ready for drying by looking at the color of the meat and quantity of liquid in the bag. After marinading overnight, I often still see a lot of liquid in the bag and pinkness in the meat. By the 3rd or 4th day, the meat is the color of the marinade (usually brown like soy sauce) and much of the liquid has been absorbed in the meat.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I wouldn't want my jerky to soak up all the marinade, I just want enough flavor, all that salt isn't do you any good.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I don't really agree with this part. I find the final flavor of jerky to improve a lot if you leave it in the marinade longer. Jerky left two days in the bag is better than one. There is the law of diminishing returns. A third day improves it more but leaving it for several weeks doesn't. I judge when the meat is ready for drying by looking at the color of the meat and quantity of liquid in the bag. After marinading overnight, I often still see a lot of liquid in the bag and pinkness in the meat. By the 3rd or 4th day, the meat is the color of the marinade (usually brown like soy sauce) and much of the liquid has been absorbed in the meat.

You are right. I could have said that better, I was to liberal with my assumptions of length of time marinating. I like to taste the meat so I don't marinade for more than a few hours or overnight at max. I use simple marinades like soy sauce and garlic or tomato and Worcestershire and I always crack fresh pepper on the strips before smoking. Cracked pepper and hardwood smoked venison are so nice together, like whiskey and cigars or better yet beer and catfishing.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I use I think High Mountain? They have tons of different flavors. I use the "robust" amount of seasoning, as too little can be bland. Never tried a liquid marinade. This is a powder you mix with the cure. I then use the slightly open oven method and it comes out moist like a slim jim texture.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
50/50 Soy Sauce and Worchester Sauce, soak overnight and dry .....

add heat as desired.. hot sauce, crushed red pepper

Last edited:

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I did this over night. I should have taken it out earlier.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Dale's can be STRONG. I marinated for 3 hours the other day, but the jerky turned out a little weak. I think 5-6 hours may be the trick for me. I've got a bag of jerky sitting in front of me as I type.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, curing salt, honey, liquid smoke

This. Simple and tasty. But we usually don't add honey, curing salt, or liquid smoke. Sometimes a little smoke. Just depends.

In addition to the stuff above, we add red Yucateca brand hot sauce, and a dash of either orange juice or Sundrop for a touch of citrus flavor

I've always done best when the mix is slightly thinner than A1 steak sauce or the flavor doesn't saturate as well. If too thick, add soda or juice. Too thin, add something like lea and Perrins thick Worchestichire.

We make the base marinade ALMOST as salty and spicy as you can stand. During cooking, a lot of that flavor goes away. If your base is "perfect" before you add the meat, the final product will be bland.

The yucatecta hot sauce seems to "stay" with the meat better than powdered cayenne or similar.
12-24 hours in the fridge. Stirring as often as I can remember since the spice and goodies tend to settle to the bottom...

Run in my LEM dehydrator on 160 for 3.5 hours and ready to go.

For y'all that have the small round cheapo dehydrators that aren't happy with your results, or have to constantly check and re-arrange for hot/cold spots...
If you can swing $200 (or less if there's a sale or coupons) at Academy/Cabelas/Amazon

The 10-tray LEM with digital timer is the bomb...
Granted, we use ours a lot more than most houses, but it has paid for itself over the last couple years when considering the cost of store-bought jerky or "lost" meat due to cruddy final product. Haha, like the "deer chips" some people end up making.
3.5-4 hours for 10 trays of jerky. I can set it in the morning when I leave for work. Me or wife can run home at lunch, load another round, and it's ready when we get home in the evening to load another round that finishes before bed.

Same goes for my snack sticks. So far we've made 44# of 19mm deer snack sticks, got another 24# to do this weekend, and 50# of elk sticks to make when i get around to it.

Load them up at 7am, set for 5 hours, come home at lunch, throw the finished ones in fridge and load another run that will be done by 6pm when we get home.

Definitely a worthwhile investment if you make a lot of jerky (or snack sticks)

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
For years i tried tons of recipes but one i use all the time now is the simplest ive come up with. Basically for every pound of meat i use a 1/2 cup of dales steak marinade, then add brown suger and red pepper flakes depending on how sweet or spicy i want it. Typically about 4 tbsp of red pepper and half cup of brown sugar. Marinate in a ziplock bag for at least 24 hours flipping and mixing twice. Drain and dehydrate. Thats it. The Dales has the soy sauce, Worcestershire, and all the other seasonings like onion powder, garlic etc. so its saves alot of measuring and buying a lot of seasonings. When i make it the guys at work will go through about two pounds of jerky in a day, one guy swears its as good as crack. i didnt ask any further questions.