Steyr rifles??

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I promise. Wouldn't take the shot on a day like today. Too many variables and I'm no sniper. But on a good calm crisp day. I would try it once I feel comfortable with it. I have a Savage .300 with HS PRECISION STOCK and Heavy barrel now, but the palm swell is too big for me. The Sendero stock feels a lot bettter and smaller. Of course I could change the stock but I like the stainless fluted heavy barrel on the Sendero also....don't have to clean it every time you touch it to prevent surface rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 300 is your ticket to long range shooting. For hunting IMO I wouldn't worry about dialing. Like said before make a damn good cold bore cool weather dope chart and use the mil or MOA hash lines. A level on a scope IMO is important. Wind drift isn't near as bad on a heavy .30cal bullet. The only way I would shoot at deer long range would be prone on a bi pod. I can't hold still enough In a box stand.
Good luck. Shooting long range is a blast. Bryguy sold me a .308 last year that is a tack driver. I got lucky with 168gn smk in ADI factory ammo. It wasn't hunting ammo but I could ring a 12" plate at 800yds like it was my job if the wind wasn't blowing.
I was very impressed with it and athlons scopes tracking.

ditchbank

Banned
That 300 is your ticket to long range shooting. For hunting IMO I wouldn't worry about dialing. Like said before make a damn good cold bore cool weather dope chart and use the mil or MOA hash lines. A level on a scope IMO is important. Wind drift isn't near as bad on a heavy .30cal bullet. The only way I would shoot at deer long range would be prone on a bi pod. I can't hold still enough In a box stand.
Good luck. Shooting long range is a blast. Bryguy sold me a .308 last year that is a tack driver. I got lucky with 168gn smk in ADI factory ammo. It wasn't hunting ammo but I could ring a 12" plate at 800yds like it was my job if the wind wasn't blowing.
I was very impressed with it and athlons scopes tracking.

My box stands are not your normal box stands. They have shelving and and big corners to lay your rifle and sand bags on.

ditchbank

Banned
The 300 in the 5r has a 26 inch heavy barrel.

Maybe it was another caliber I looked at. I just know it was a short barrel and too light. The one I looked at you could add a suppressor.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Those are the gen 2s and the 308 does come in a 20 inch barreled version.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I think the one I have is just the milspec 5r. It’s a heavy gun, but not ridiculously heavy like a true bench gun is.

ditchbank

Banned
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-stainless-5-r

This is the one I would order. It is the orginal 5r mil spec and the 300 win mag has a 26 inch barrel. The new 5rs only have a 24 inch barrel in 300 win mag, but a 2 inche shorter barrel doesn't make hardly any difference velocity wise. The 5rs can be had for around $1000 locally, whether or not you can find one in 300 is another matter.

That's a sharp rifle.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
The 5rs are super accurate rifles, as well as the Senderos. Shot a sendero sf ll in .300wm for years got tired of toting the weight around and picked up a Tikka t3x lite stainless in .300wsm before this season and love it just as accurate as the sendero was without the weight. Closest deer I’ve shot with it this year was 200yds.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
The 5rs are super accurate rifles, as well as the Senderos. Shot a sendero sf ll in .300wm for years got tired of toting the weight around and picked up a Tikka t3x lite stainless in .300wsm before this season and love it just as accurate as the sendero was without the weight. Closest deer I’ve shot with it this year was 200yds.

My son has the t3x lite in 308 and it is a tack driver no doubt. I have shot his gun out to 500 easy with a fixed 6 power super sniper scope. It really is an amazing little rifle.

ditchbank

Banned
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-stainless-5-r

This is the one I would order. It is the orginal 5r mil spec and the 300 win mag has a 26 inch barrel. The new 5rs only have a 24 inch barrel in 300 win mag, but a 2 inche shorter barrel doesn't make hardly any difference velocity wise. The 5rs can be had for around $1000 locally, whether or not you can find one in 300 is another matter.

Is this the one??

46a3ae90389700352b714768abfe4b40.jpg

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Steyr makes really good rifles. When I was looking for a 300 I looked really hard at them and the Senderos. Ended up going with a Savage 110 Fcp-hs and couldn't be happier

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I like that sexy green stock, but I won't be getting a can, at least I don't think I need one.

Then I would get the 26 inch barrel one. I just think the thread protector is just one more thing to worry about being loose or coming off and effecting accuracy. The tiniest thing can have a huge effect on accuracy at longer ranges

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have a WWI Austrian Steyr Mauser and My father has a 90s sporter in 30 - 06. I would choose it over a 700, even a Sendero, 10 times out of 10. The only 700 I am interested in is a Sendero and they are tack drivers. That said the two position safety that doesn't lock the bolt is a deal breaker for me.

The Steyr is not even in the same league as the 700. It is a Mauser action. 700s are drilled bar stock.

ditchbank

Banned
I have a WWI Austrian Steyr Mauser and My father has a 90s sporter in 30 - 06. I would choose it over a 700, even a Sendero, 10 times out of 10. The only 700 I am interested in is a Sendero and they are tack drivers. That said the two position safety that doesn't lock the bolt is a deal breaker for me.

The Steyr is not even in the same league as the 700. It is a Mauser action. 700s are drilled bar stock.

700 action has a world reputation and gets awesome reviews, just look in longranghunting.com.....I'd say a 700 is a very reliable action

ka30270

Six Pointer
IMHO, I would look into reloading. You will be able to get more accuracy and velocity out of most any rifle by tailoring the ammo to that rifle. Reloading is very rewarding and can be therapeutic at times.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
IMHO, I would look into reloading. You will be able to get more accuracy and velocity out of most any rifle by tailoring the ammo to that rifle. Reloading is very rewarding and can be therapeutic at times.

At one time I would have agreed, but man some of the new ammo with the high BC bullets are hard to beat.

ditchbank

Banned

Believe me the thought had crossed my mind. I'm a single man and that would be very therapeutic on the slow days when I'm not chasing tail.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I understand the 700s reputation as an accurate rifle. And frankly a mostly reliable rifle minus remingtons trigger issues over the years. I have a 700 bdl beautiful wood that will hold moa with most hand loads I've fed it.

The two position safety that does not lock the bolt is a liability hunting IMHO. If you are purely a stand hunter it's OK but the bolt handle can be pushed up leaving you a paperweight in a for a critical shot.

I stand by the Steyr being a superior design to the 700.

Good luck on the purchase.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Believe me the thought had crossed my mind. I'm a single man and that would be very therapeutic on the slow days when I'm not chasing tail.

well if you shoot much, you can save a little bit of money. But you have to shoot ALOT and it takes quite a while to recoup the costs (if you ever do). That said, I relaod for everything I shoot except for 9mm.