30-06 Deer Bullet

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
About to inherit a 30-06. Never hunted with one. Just wondering about some good bullets for NC size deer. I know I have to find something the rifle will shoot. I am looking for some info on terminal performance.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
They'll all work well. I think 150 gr is better for our size deer that heavier weights.

Standard JSP will nuke any deer out to 300 yards...though, I have had most impressive results with 150 SST superformance

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On most of the 30-06 rifles that I have had 165 grain BTSP was about the best all around deer bullet that existed....some rifles prefer a different weight or specific brand but I'd start there.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Remington 150 gr Core Lokt or Winchester 150 gr Power Point will do anything you need done in NC... assuming they shoot good in your rifle.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Mine likes the Hornady 150 and 165 gr SST for accuracy. The Federal Fusion 165 gr also shoots well.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m becoming a big fan of the 150gr loads for deer. I’ve been impressed with the 150gr Sierra Gameking.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Deer fall over dead just from the sound of my 30-06. It must give them heart attacks.

I use various 150 gr bullets in the past. I don't have a favorite. I won't use a 180 gr bullet. I killed my first deer with one. It ripped a hole so big in it that I wouldn't use them again.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
The Remington 150 gr Core Lokt or Winchester 150 gr Power Point will do anything you need done in NC... assuming they shoot good in your rifle.
Yep......

I have had good luck with Hornady Interlock as well.

sent from...... Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Plain jane 165gr Remington core lokts worked great for me for several years. I never lost a deer using them. Most were on the ground within sight.

<>< Fish

gregor187

Six Pointer
I agree with above (They all work) I am a 06 devotee,,,,,After harvesting many deer mostly running,,,,I settled on the 165 grain bullet in any pointed soft point of your choice....It pretty much slaps them down like the hammer of Thor....You may never go back to what you are shooting now,,,Congrads and enjoy.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used factory 150 grain for a while, until a broad side lung shot at 45 yards failed to shoot thru a 151 lb. buck, bullet stopped inside hide on far side. Sought the opinion of some PA deer hunters who advised to always used the 180 grain round nose.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every .30 gun ive ever messed with seemed to like tbe 165-168 bullets. I personally like the 165gr sst. I used to get a regular load but superformance is about the easiest way i can find them now

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I used factory 150 grain for a while, until a broad side lung shot at 45 yards failed to shoot thru a 151 lb. buck, bullet stopped inside hide on far side. Sought the opinion of some PA deer hunters who advised to always used the 180 grain round nose.

The 180 gr round nose is the bullet I mentioned earlier that I will no longer use. The first buck I ever shot was in PA and I hit it high in the spine. I ripped a dessert plate sized (about 6") chunk of hide and muscle off the top of the buck. It was a running shot I took and it paralyzed the back legs of the deer. It was a pretty traumatic event for me where even to this day, I only take shots that I'm sure will put a deer down with one shot. It also made me avoid all 180 gr round nose bullets.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have tried too many 30-06 loads through the years. Factory and reloads just to find out they all simply kill deer. The Remington core-lokt 150 grain is hard to beat. The Winchester Power Point 180 grain SP ammo is my personal favorite "woods hunting" round. Really Hammers them.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
If you have a chance to load your own and your not taking 500yd shots I would load 130gn bullets way down.

52gn RL15 and a 125-130gn spitzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
I like the el cheapo Federal Fusion. They really group in my Remington 760 Pump. 150 grainers....put in the boiler room and its all over quick.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
My 30.06 sits in the safe now a days and don't see much use in the field but when it was my main deer rifle I always shot lighter bullets with excellent results. I really don't remember ever shooting anything over 130grs in it. I killed a truck load of deer with a plain old Hornady 130gr SP which was my main deer bullet for years. I also had equal results with the Sierra 125gr PH, Nosler 125gr BT and the Barnes 130gr TSX. I thought about getting it out and working up a load with the Nosler 130gr Accubond which I think would be an excellent combo for deer. Nosler hadn't introduced that one yet when I was using the 30.06. The lighter bullets produced really good velocity, flatter shooting with a little less recoil and performance on deer was excellent for me.

I think most guys around here that use the 30.06 shoot factory bullets in a 150gr and if i shot factory that's what i'd shoot. When reading articles on the 30.06 it looks like the standard in the past has been the 165gr. There's lots of really good factory offerings out there now a days for the 30.06 just find one that's accurate in your rifle and rest assured it will get the job done as long as the shooter does their part. Mike