What is this cold push bringing down?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Post up what you see as we get this cold air in over the next week to 10 days.....I need something to carry me through the split

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Man .... I'm hoping it gets 'em moving. FAR. Because I haven't had much in the way of deer this year.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
When I first seen the forecast last week i had high hopes, especially with the timing of the split. From what I understand there hasn't been any reason for the divers to push down yet so hopefully this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
This morning behind the reef in Ocracoke I witnessed a knot of reds heads 400 yards wide at least trade behind the reef, Sit down, get up and swarm again. Over and over! Be patient, thing s a re definitely happening!

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Buddy of mine did well on both divers and puddle ducks over Thanksgiving. He lives near Orlando...in Florida. :greenjump:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
There are plenty of ducks down already. Birds just got set in there patterns and had no reason to feed. With some weather we should have some good hunting. Lets hope the cold stays for the december opener.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
KA is right. Birds numbers have been decent but they patterned out after a while. Hopefully it stays really cold but not hard freezing. Should make for a decent opener on the 16th. I'm going to try and scout Saturday morning.

JD1107

I’ll be out Saturday morning scouting some new areas that I got permission to hunt. Guy who’s property it is just deer hunts and said there’s been good numbers of ducks and geese using his swamp since the second split. Gonna be a good 1.5 hour drive for a scouting trip so hopefully he’s not bs’ing.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Buddy of mine did well on both divers and puddle ducks over Thanksgiving. He lives near Orlando...in Florida. :greenjump:

Hi, Have you hunted there this year. I have a friend who is going down next week.. Since we don't have a ton of birds here, do you think the Florida birds come from the Mississippi flyway or are they blue wings and ringnecks?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Birds have been down for months. I saw raft after raft of divers this past weekend. Go find them. I don’t even duck hunt. They’ve been down for months though.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Birds have been down for months. I saw raft after raft of divers this past weekend. Go find them. I don’t even duck hunt. They’ve been down for months though.

Hi Justin, Not trying to cyber scout just trying to understand waterfowl patterns. I live in Hyde county, between Fairfield and Englehard. I fish in Wysocking, Juniper and SwanQuarter Bays frequently. I have good friends who quide on the sound. They have excellent reputations. We have not been seeing the kinds of goups you have described.

Therefore would you mind telling me what kind of ducks you are seeing as well as the county (do not want spots.) We cannot hunt in Dare Currituck, Pamlico or Carteret. Just wondering what the ducks are doing since we are not seeing what we usually see.

If you do not hunt, hope you are having a good fishing season. It has been our best for flounder and trout in several years.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Hi Justin, Not trying to cyber scout just trying to understand waterfowl patterns. I live in Hyde county, between Fairfield and Englehard. I fish in Wysocking, Juniper and SwanQuarter Bays frequently. I have good friends who quide on the sound. They have excellent reputations. We have not been seeing the kinds of goups you have described.

Therefore would you mind telling me what kind of ducks you are seeing as well as the county (do not want spots.) We cannot hunt in Dare Currituck, Pamlico or Carteret. Just wondering what the ducks are doing since we are not seeing what we usually see.

If you do not hunt, hope you are having a good fishing season. It has been our best for flounder and trout in several years.

Sorry I thought I was sending this as a PM

92xj

Eight Pointer
Right.
Just like you thought you didn't have an opinion on that froggy guy already.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Hi, Have you hunted there this year. I have a friend who is going down next week.. Since we don't have a ton of birds here, do you think the Florida birds come from the Mississippi flyway or are they blue wings and ringnecks?
They've been shooting redheads, buffleheads, blackheads and the other typical species that winter in Florida, since their season opened. Most of the ducks they get are calendar migrators. Some may stop here but they don't stay long.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
They've been shooting redheads, buffleheads, blackheads and the other typical species that winter in Florida, since their season opened. Most of the ducks they get are calendar migrators. Some may stop here but they don't stay long.

thanks Wanchese, I know a ton of ring necks winter in Florida. My question is about bluebills. the last few years we have not been seeing as many here as we use to see. Your experience may be different from mine. I have a business friend who hunts the great lakes ( mostly Erie). He says the reason is that a ton of bluebills have been staying up north and not coming this far south. He invited me up for a hunt his year but on the 9th of Oct a guy ran a stop sign and t boned me. I have not been in the physical shape to make the trip. (which is why I was looking for a local trip - not dissing on Froggy)

I am curious as to who you think is right, Are the blue bills in Florida or are they still up on the great lakes. My hunting friends in Maryland have not seen a lot of them yet on the Chesapeake.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I am curious as to who you think is right, Are the blue bills in Florida or are they still up on the great lakes.
Both. A lot migrate when the days start getting shorter, just like bluewings but there are a lot that don't come south until they run out of food/water.

There's a bunch of redheads and blackheads between Ocracoke and the VA line. Some have been around for a while but there's getting to be more and more. Hope that trend continues. Alligator NWR is finally starting to have a few ducks as well.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Huge new knots of puddle ducks started showing up at Skeet this past Tuesday. lot of birds there now. more on the west (NW &SW) than anywhere else I saw. These are probably the groups that are here to stay.

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Huge new knots of puddle ducks started showing up at Skeet this past Tuesday. lot of birds there now. more on the west (NW &SW) than anywhere else I saw. These are probably the groups that are here to stay.

I've seen em. Chopped up over on the refuge as well. Looks like they might hang around