deer hunters - it's time to be heard

Which of the following proposed changes to the hunting regulations do you support?

• No changes - Things are fine the way they are.

Votes: 31 16.2%
  • Shorten gun/ML seasons.

Votes: 67 35.1%
  • 2 buck limit

Votes: 117 61.3%
  • 4 antlerless limit

Votes: 41 21.5%
  • 3 buck limit

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • 3 antlerless limit

Votes: 35 18.3%
  • Delay or change opener for gun/ML seasons.

Votes: 57 29.8%
  • APRs. 8 pts or better plus 21" inside spread. 1 buck per year like they do it up north.

Votes: 15 7.9%

• Total voters

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i wonder if the NCWRC lobbys in reverse.

what i mean is i wonder if they "brief" known parties that are likely to object to their proposed changes.

Or does farm bureua get as much info as john doe hunter?

How about it NCWRC folks that are here, how does that work?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I can't speak for the WRC but in our agency, everyone gets the same information. Everything we do is public information. There are no secret documents to be shared with special groups. The reason that some groups seem to have more influence is that they employ technical people who can decipher regulations and lobbyists that can communicate with the agency.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I can't speak for the WRC but in our agency, everyone gets the same information. Everything we do is public information. There are no secret documents to be shared with special groups. The reason that some groups seem to have more influence is that they employ technical people who can decipher regulations and lobbyists that can communicate with the agency.

i am not sure what your agency is but basically you are saying that no one makes an effort to tell impacted groups any sooner or "better" than the general public. not secret but just an explanation of the reasoning.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
i am not sure what your agency is but basically you are saying that no one makes an effort to tell impacted groups any sooner or "better" than the general public. not secret but just an explanation of the reasoning.

There is no concerted efforts to better inform impacted groups. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Often requests for rule changes comes from the impacted groups so they know we're considered their request. Other times agency staff is asked to speak at conferences so those attendees may get advanced knowledge of future rule changes. But there is plenty of time and opportunities for the general public to get informed if they want. All potential rule changes go to a Committee of the full Commission as a concept where it is discussed. That is a public meeting easily accessible in person or online. A minimum 2 months later, it goes as a draft rule to the same Committee where there is public access again. Another minimum 2 months later, it goes to the full Commission with a request to go to public hearing. Then there is a 60 day public comment period. The rule changes have been explained plenty of times over almost a one year period.

The reason it seems that impacted groups have more influence is that they know how to respond to rule changes. For example, here are typical comments received at a hearing.

General Public: I don't like it. Get rid of it.

Impacted Group: We believe you shouldn't change Paragraph A because of reason 1, 2, and 3. We agree with your thinking on Paragraph B and F but suggest the following wording changes.

If the general public wants to have influence over the changes, they need to provide more than just "I don't like it".

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There is no concerted efforts to better inform impacted groups. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Often requests for rule changes comes from the impacted groups so they know we're considered their request. Other times agency staff is asked to speak at conferences so those attendees may get advanced knowledge of future rule changes. But there is plenty of time and opportunities for the general public to get informed if they want. All potential rule changes go to a Committee of the full Commission as a concept where it is discussed. That is a public meeting easily accessible in person or online. A minimum 2 months later, it goes as a draft rule to the same Committee where there is public access again. Another minimum 2 months later, it goes to the full Commission with a request to go to public hearing. Then there is a 60 day public comment period. The rule changes have been explained plenty of times over almost a one year period.

The reason it seems that impacted groups have more influence is that they know how to respond to rule changes. For example, here are typical comments received at a hearing.

General Public: I don't like it. Get rid of it.

Impacted Group: We believe you shouldn't change Paragraph A because of reason 1, 2, and 3. We agree with your thinking on Paragraph B and F but suggest the following wording changes.

If the general public wants to have influence over the changes, they need to provide more than just "I don't like it".

i understand what you are saying.

i was wondering that if the NCWRC recognizing the potential opponents would make any extra effort to inform them of the rationale behind the changes.

but as a veteran of the process you would know how it works and i think the answer to my question is a maybe; maybe not.

Thank you.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
i understand what you are saying.

i was wondering that if the NCWRC recognizing the potential opponents would make any extra effort to inform them of the rationale behind the changes.

but as a veteran of the process you would know how it works and i think the answer to my question is a maybe; maybe not.

Thank you.

As I mentioned in my first reply, I can't speak for the WRC. They may or may not put in extra effort to inform certain groups. That depends on the management running the WRC. I don't have enough direct experience with the WRC to say how they operate. Here, our rulemaking process is pretty transparent.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
As I mentioned in my first reply, I can't speak for the WRC. They may or may not put in extra effort to inform certain groups. That depends on the management running the WRC. I don't have enough direct experience with the WRC to say how they operate. Here, our rulemaking process is pretty transparent.

as it should be. Thanks fpor the info.

Castle Oak where are you?

how does it work in the NCWRC, do you preview changes with affected parties?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Farmers can still get depredations and dmap tags

I wish the FB had influence over elk management like they do deer

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

They will when they consider them as much of a problem. Hard to consider something that numbers in the hundreds against hundreds of thousands in the same league.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Correct Tim, but 1 bull elk can and will tear up more fencing and farmland than 100 buck deer. They are just that much bigger and more used to open space [instinctively] than deer.
We had a really big destruction problem here in Rowan Co many years ago and it was just 1 bull elk doing it all. He disappeared and so did the problem.
Pretty sure that the ones in the NC mtns are already stirring up some farmland problems now.
Just sayin'.
They will when they consider them as much of a problem. Hard to consider something that numbers in the hundreds against hundreds of thousands in the same league.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Correct Tim, but 1 bull elk can and will tear up more fencing and farmland than 100 buck deer. They are just that much bigger and more used to open space [instinctively] than deer.
We had a really big destruction problem here in Rowan Co many years ago and it was just 1 bull elk doing it all. He disappeared and so did the problem.
Pretty sure that the ones in the NC mtns are already stirring up some farmland problems now.
Just sayin'.
I know all about what they do. I have several friends in Ky where I used to hunt regularly and saw first hand what they did to fencing. But still a few hundred animals aren't a drop in the bucket to close to a million. Deer aren't exactly good on fencing either. I have fixed electric fence to I was sick of them.

I mean they just came off the endangered list here so they aren't exactly a big priority.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

i thought you posted that they did advocate for lamndowners concerning elk in NC?

that being said as everyone else said it's a matter of proportion, FB insures a ton of landowners with deer issues, not so many with elk.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
i thought you posted that they did advocate for lamndowners concerning elk in NC?

that being said as everyone else said it's a matter of proportion, FB insures a ton of landowners with deer issues, not so many with elk.

They have but the state of NC wants to increase the elk herd anyway

Yes farming is a much bigger business in the east than the mtns. More farmers probably means more influence over wildlife policy

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlife Commission’s Public Hearing in Clyde Rescheduled for Feb. 15
31 January 2018
CLYDE, N.C. (Jan. 31, 2018) — The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will conduct a public hearing in Clyde on Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. to take comments on proposed changes to 35 agency regulations related to wildlife management, fisheries and game lands for the 2018-19 seasons.

The public hearing, which was set to take place in January but had to be postponed due to inclimate weather, will be held at the Haywood Community College auditorium located at 185 Freelander Dr. in Clyde

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They have but the state of NC wants to increase the elk herd anyway

Yes farming is a much bigger business in the east than the mtns. More farmers probably means more influence over wildlife policy
Trees is farming, quite a bit of that in the mountains.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And I expect the tree farmers in NW NC are opposed to reducing opportunities to keep the deer herd in check.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Still reducing doe limits can’t sit well with them
Most don't loose a lot of sleep one way or another. It is like the weather, just something they deal with. They have been dealing with them since they have been numerous enough to become a nuisance and will continue to do so. When I used to groundhog hunt heavy in the mountains I saw the result of how they handled it. Didn't seem like they had any qualms just like the row crop farmers down east. They all know how.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure they take of business when they need to.

But even the farmers down east apparently have spoken out against changes in deer hunting regulations.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm sure they take of business when they need to.

But even the farmers down east apparently have spoken out against changes in deer hunting regulations.
No doubt they have, but I would bet most that have in fact hunt, so they have a secondary interest also. But the ones that don't usually aren't going really get torn up one way or anther, as I said they are just another pest to them.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Right which would mean they would not want their populations increased or stabilized as the NCWRC wants to do.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
E-mails are good, but take a few minutes to get online and comment on ALL the proposals. Your e-mail probably covered only a few of them. Commenting on them all puts your opinion on all of them [where it is sure to be counted].
And have your folks [kin,club members,work buds etc. do theirs too].
I have not made it to a meeting but I did send an email with my opinion and concerns.

Last edited: