deer hunters - it's time to be heard

Which of the following proposed changes to the hunting regulations do you support?

• No changes - Things are fine the way they are.

Votes: 31 16.2%
  • Shorten gun/ML seasons.

Votes: 67 35.1%
  • 2 buck limit

Votes: 117 61.3%
  • 4 antlerless limit

Votes: 41 21.5%
  • 3 buck limit

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • 3 antlerless limit

Votes: 35 18.3%
  • Delay or change opener for gun/ML seasons.

Votes: 57 29.8%
  • APRs. 8 pts or better plus 21" inside spread. 1 buck per year like they do it up north.

Votes: 15 7.9%

• Total voters

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Theoretically, by the WRC's explanation, reducing the buck limit to two will ultimately lead to more bucks and older buck age structure in the herd. Isn't that ultimately the goal of trophy management? More, bigger & better bucks?

Yes. And that's all that seems to matter to more and more people each year. The current regulations are just the tip of the looming iceberg. Those same folks won't be happy with just the proposed regulations taking effect. They will continue to try their best to have every method of deer hunting that doesn't further their agenda eradicated. Critical theory applied to deer hunting is all it amounts to.

<>< Fish

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I fail to see how a 2 buck limit is trophy management when most hunters don't kill 4 bucks.

Folks obsess over the buck limit reduction but not the doe limit reduction.

does arent obsessed about by hunters.

except as birthers of bucks , bait during the rut, and protein they are worthless pests.

about as much challenge to hunt as a cow given NC's permissive laws.

raise you hand if you would run cameras, plant food plots, pay to lease land, keep a pack of dogs or drive more than five minutes to exclusively hunt does? even if they are tasty. :)

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns

except as birthers of bucks , bait during the rut, and protein they are worthless pests.

raise you hand if you would run cameras, plant food plots, pay to lease land, or drive more than five minutes to exclusively hunt does? even if they are tasty. :)

Very very true...

sent from...... Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

raise you hand if you would run cameras, plant food plots, pay to lease land, keep a pack of dogs or drive more than five minutes to exclusively hunt does? even if they are tasty. :)

I have and I'd do it again. Thank God we all don't think and do the same things.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

I mean ,except for 6 counties in the far west part of the state, NC hunters are used to liberal doe limits.

You'd think they would also cry foul over being limited to just 4 does or whatever (excluding DMAP, urban archery, ect)

RJ1

Ten Pointer
What does something like this cost? Is it per acre?

I can't remember right off hand because he also did some work for us on 300 acres we just bought on improving the Quail habitat for my brother to hunt.I am sure he separated it on the bill,I am bear hunting this week but will be going home Saturday for my employee's Christmas party that night if I can remember I will run down to the office and check it out and p.m.you before I leave to come back down here or when I get here to the hunting camp Sunday night.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I do (minus the pack of dogs),,,,

ain't about horns to all folks, (though I'll bust a big one in a minute)

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Stop twisting things - i was just being truthful

If deer had no horns I'd still hunt them - they eat good

I'm not obsessed on the horns but since its a fact that they have horns your point is useless

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't lease land or plant food plots. I'd throw out a couple bags of corn and start slinging arrows and be done long before November. I probably would still run 2-3 cameras just to tell me which stands they were hitting in daylight and what time I should show up to kill them.

Or maybe I'd just wait until November and see how many I could shoot in one hunt. It would certainly be more grocery shopping than hunting. But I'd still do it.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

I'm not obsessed on the horns but since its a fact that they have horns your point is useless

A lot of people would still kill deer, but the term "hunting" would have a completely different meaning. As a matter of fact, I guarantee you trapping deer would be a common, legal practice if they didn't have antlers.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
BS

We hunt bears, birds, and squirrels - none have antlers

But easy to see how some are obsessed with ornaments

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'd do most everything I do now.

What I wouldn't do: use grunt calls, rattle, or buy that emergency bottle of doe pee.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Steve rinella had a good quote I liked that applies. "If someone were to say you had to choose between either the meat OR the rack, I'd choose the meat every time. Because it would be immoral to choose the other. But, if you can have the meat AND the rack, then that's a good deal."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Steve rinella had a good quote I liked that applies. "If someone were to say you had to choose between either the meat OR the rack, I'd choose the meat every time. Because it would be immoral to choose the other. But, if you can have the meat AND the rack, then that's a good deal."

There is nothing "immoral" about wanting racks and not meat.

Not everybody is a meat hunter. Not every hunter is after racks either.

One thing trophy and meat hunters agree on, killing lots of does!

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'd do most everything I do now.

What I wouldn't do: use grunt calls, rattle, or buy that emergency bottle of doe pee.
Yep, me too. With the exception that I would buy 1 sack of corn and I'd just shoot the first two non-fawns I saw the first couple days that I hunted and then and call it quits for the season. With the lack of decent bucks around me, it's getting to that point anyway. I also wouldn't buy a license, since I'd only "hunt" on my own land.

Last edited:

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
There is nothing "immoral" about wanting racks and not meat.

Not everybody is a meat hunter.

Sure most people would prefer a 140" buck over a fat doe but simply put, you're wrong. Taking a life should only be done to sustain life. Im well aware that morality is subjective.

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Sure most people would prefer a 140" buck over a fat doe but simply put, you're wrong. Taking a life should only be done to sustain life.
Yet farmers have depredation permits, there are coyote and groundhog hunters, people kill nuisance pests, trappers take pelts, ... etc ... ??

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yet farmers have depredation permits, there are coyote and groundhog hunters, people kill nuisance pests, trappers take pelts, ... etc ... ??

Yep plenty of bears, elk, deer shot and left to rot by farmers.

And yes they should be able to shoot animals to protect their farms imho and not be forced to deal with the carcasses.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer

Farmers with dep permits are shooting or letting others shoot for their own prosperity and livelihood. Not hunters pursuing a passion or hobby. If the meat isn't being used or donated to be used as food, that is shameful. Besides people around here eat ground hog and coyote is eaten in other cultures lol.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be honest.....if they didn't have horns I wouldn't hunt deer. I would probably start rabbit hunting and doing alot of fishing.

sent from...... Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

The old CRC spin-o-matic type response and yes sir they are tasty critters.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This thread has about covered every deer subject I think

What ere those proposed reg changes again?

Just kidding - no need to repost them,,,,,

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would just get me a beef cow and have it butchered.... all in all probably cheaper.... go fishin until turkey season comes in

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
BS

We hunt bears, birds, and squirrels - none have antlers

But easy to see how some are obsessed with ornaments

I don't hunt bear, but I can certainly understand the lure of potentially killing an 800 pound animal. I don't really hunt squirrels either, I just go out and shoot some when I want a stew. Wing shooting poses a marksmanship challenge. If deer did not have antlers, and thus, like squirrels, you shot the first one you saw every time you hunted, what challenge do they pose?

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Woodmoose, the point I'm trying to make is that it would be comparable to squirrel hunting. I personally haven't spent a dime in a sporting good store (with the exception of ammo) in my life to improve my chances of killing a squirrel. Without antlers, there'd be no deer hunting industry. You think insurance companies and farmers have a say right now, take all the money that those antlers generate for those big name companies out of the equation and see what happens. They'd be treated about the same as coyotes in no time at all.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Woodmoose, the point I'm trying to make is that it would be comparable to squirrel hunting. I personally haven't spent a dime in a sporting good store (with the exception of ammo) in my life to improve my chances of killing a squirrel. Without antlers, there'd be no deer hunting industry. You think insurance companies and farmers have a say right now, take all the money that those antlers generate for those big name companies out of the equation and see what happens. They'd be treated about the same as coyotes in no time at all.

Don't agree with this at all, grew up squirrel hunting, this is where many of us learned to shoot and hunt...Now, I grew up in a time where we ate what we killed and caught, we also killed deer eating our crops and either ate them or gave them away...Those days are gone and it looks like newer hunters are more concerned about killing for antlers than putting food on the table...If you want a challenge killing does, go to traditional archery, use a flintlock, go to an open sighted 30-30 lever action, plenty of options out there for a fellow that wants to improve his hunting skills...

Wanna have a real blast??? Get a .32-.40 caliber flintlock and go squirrel hunting, head shots only... ;)

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I sure hope none of the wildlife people are reading this.