Spring

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The spring season is shaping up nicely,,,waiting on two more permit draws,,,,

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I"m really hoping some of these birds I'm seeing this winter stick around here for the spring instead of vanishing every year like they have lately.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hope they do Sir - i haven't even started on nc thoughts yet -

Last edited:

Randy

Ten Pointer
There appears to be a good number birds around on my main turkey hunting land and, the land owner did some logging last summer and construction on a new gas pipeline right through the middle of our club is scheduled to be going on next spring. Only time will tell how these things will affect hunting next spring.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just hoping to tag out in NC :) and get one down at the club in Scotland county before woodmoose ,
the Albemarle Hunt Club turkey hunting jedi master, tags out.
;)

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
felt like spring to me this am even as i was looking over a skim of ice on the pond.

you boys with birds probably heard one gobbling this am?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well, the planned for Montana trip just disintegrated. Maybe Nebraska will work out....

i would advise against nebraska Hal, it will be too easy for you. :)

that hustlin hen will have them runnin on top of you. You MIGHT almost have a challenge if you use the .410.

Hope it works out. You do know that your tss pupil from creedmoor can get you on them in nebraska if you need him to.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I am heading to Nebraska in may

Good for you. To entertain yourself you might look at some qbd2, qbd, historical posts here on their annual journey.

and if you are returning you already know how great it is. I went last year for the first time and it's just really hard to express how much fun it is.

Any morning that you have a turkey gobble any time you call is my idea of perfect. :)

Good luck on your trip and keep us posted.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have never been there I am excited never turkey hunted out of nc before

You are in for treat ive been going for nearly 20 years certain areas of state are loaded others not so much location means lot what part you headed to. One reason I ask is if your in far eastern part state you'll still be on easterns any where central on west you'll get at least hybrids and whether your on merriam or Rio hybrids or in nw more pure merriam they are imo the greatest birds to hunt they will gobble and work any hour of day and they love to answer a call and will cover long distances no where near as stubborn as the easterns

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You are in for treat ive been going for nearly 20 years certain areas of state are loaded others not so much location means lot what part you headed to. One reason I ask is if your in far eastern part state you'll still be on easterns any where central on west you'll get at least hybrids and whether your on merriam or Rio hybrids or in nw more pure merriam they are imo the greatest birds to hunt they will gobble and work any hour of day and they love to answer a call and will cover long distances no where near as stubborn as the easterns
You'll be good pure merriams up there you should have good hunt only hang up you would have would be weather up in pine ridge seen snow up into later May

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You'll be good pure merriams up there you should have good hunt only hang up you would have would be weather up in pine ridge seen snow up into later May

Ayup, go prepared for snow, temps in the teens and 20's, and temps in the 90's. You just never know, and can change so fast your head will spin. One morn we went out and froze, low 20s and blowing a gale. By 11:30 it was 60, and at 11:45 it was snowing sideways...

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Cant wait for season to start. Were gonna put in permits for our local GL, soon. One thing that has helped scouting turkeys has been duck hunting, hasn't been a duck hunt that we haven't seen turkey or heard them. On a December hunt, we saw about 5 glide over the creek to the other side, over 100yds. Saw 1 out the corner of my eye ,and was like "what was that? Did you see that?" Then the other ones were right behind it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk