Big pig

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
A whopper of a boar here.
a1db6faf148bbf4285891235e8fcae23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah better be well equipped of you cross paths with him. I shot a sow that was 300lb and she took 2 round from 30.30 through the chest and one in skull before stopping.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah better be well equipped of you cross paths with him. I shot a sow that was 300lb and she took 2 round from 30.30 through the chest and one in skull before stopping.

I’d love to make bacon with the ole 45/70

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you want you can carry my 416 RM African after that beast.
It should be able to bring it down.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
What county is that monster?

Western part of Wilson county. My farmer is setting his boar buster trap tonight because we have had a sounder show up on camera over there

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
If you want you can carry my 416 RM African after that beast.
It should be able to bring it down.

Lol it might take that. Bet that thing is like armour plate around them shoulders

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Lol it might take that. Bet that thing is like armour plate around them shoulders

I'm certainly not the expert on wild hogs, but this one looks to have a lot of the farm raised genes in it to me. The steep angle from the nose to the ears and the lack of tusks, combined with the size make me think the shield might not be as thick as you'd expect. But again, my knowledge of these guys is pretty limited.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Perfect shot angle right there,,,,a 20 grain .17 hmr will kill that pig all day long and not mess up any ribs or shoulder meat,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny that you mention that. I was a part of ones demise this morning, a .45 behind the ear while he tried to outrun the boat did the trick. They aren't hard to kill if you hit the mark.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Exactly,,,

That's one method I haven't tried,,,,boating pigs! Hope the net was big enough

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice one!

When I was in Texas they killed them with a 22mag behind the ear.

sent from...... Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me of a hog killing story from my youth.....we would rotate our boars every couple of years and kill the old one and make sausage out of them. Well we had one duroc boar that had to be easily over 300 pounds. My granddaddy went to shoot him in the head and when he did, the boar hit the ground and granddaddy put the rifle down and went to cut the hogs throat. When he stuck the tip of the butcher knife in that old hogs throat it woke up and knocked him down and was running around the pen squealing and raising cane. Next one granddaddy put behind the ear and that was that. Grandad was no worse for wear other then being muddy and having his ego hurt.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I'm certainly not the expert on wild hogs, but this one looks to have a lot of the farm raised genes in it to me. The steep angle from the nose to the ears and the lack of tusks, combined with the size make me think the shield might not be as thick as you'd expect. But again, my knowledge of these guys is pretty limited.

Most of the hogs in nc are going to have a lot of domestic genes in them. Other then a few isolated pockets in the mountains there are no pure wild strain hogs in NC. We think these were bought in and released by some guys up the road a bit so they could hunt them with hounds and catch dogs. Been a few months since we have seen them, seems they really like our farm during the winter time.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,, We think these were bought in and released by some guys up the road a bit so they could hunt them with hounds and catch dogs.

that's how most of the populations get established,,,,some knucklehead that "just wants to hunt some hogs",,,,,,

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The pig in that pic isn't anywhere near 300 IMO.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
bryguy, your story reminds me of a time in my youth when we killed hogs. My grandad wanted to try his hand at shooting one, so old hog in feeding trough and grandad lines up the 22, can't miss, a one foot shot...well, he hits him and hog takes off running, squealing like he suppose to and all the men chasing him all over this field. Poor old hog died terrible death. My cousin and I laugh at that to this day.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Western part of Wilson county. My farmer is setting his boar buster trap tonight because we have had a sounder show up on camera over there

Keep them things on that side of the county!!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Keep them things on that side of the county!!

Yeah we are trying all we can to get rid of them. Talked to my farmer and he got 13 last night in his trap. 2 sows, a couple of guilts and the rest piglets. Hope was loading them on the trailer when I talked to him. He loads them on the trailer, then they go in and shoot them in the trailer so that he can reset the trap as soon as possible. He’s sure put the hurting on them around here.