New Snake Boot Survey

Bperry

Six Pointer
I’m looking for input on a new pair of turkey boots. I have never had a pair that didn’t leak in a single season, I’m not sure they exist.

I have had two pair of Danner's in two years.

Looking at Irish Setters or Russell’s. No experience with something like a Muck boot. Anyone had experience with either? Particulerly the Russell’s since they cost so much?

Thanks Bryan

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I had a pair of the old Muck woody armors, probably the best pair of boots I've ever owned. But if your heels slip the lining will wear out fairly quickly.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
Boots

I’m looking for input on a new pair of turkey boots. I have never had a pair that didn’t leak in a single season, I’m not sure they exist.

Looking at Irish Setters or Russell’s. No experience with something like a Muck boot. Anyone had experience with either? Particulerly the Russell’s since they cost so much?

Thanks Bryan

You're not going to keep them waterproof, the dirt destroys the membrane and thus they start leaking. Danner are much better quality than the rocky's. Maybe get a pair of Muck boots and wear the snake gaiters on top of them

Randy

Ten Pointer
I've been using Muck Woody Armours for 10 years now for turkey hunting and deer hunting at temps of mid 30s and above. When used to live and hunt in the piedmont I just wore 10 " LL bean boots.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've used the Danner snakeboots, Irish Setters, and Muck Woody Armour. I love most of my Muck boots, but the Woody Armour are too stiff for my liking. I really enjoyed wearing the Danners, but they were not water proof for very long. I'm wearing the Irish Setters now and I like them just as much as the Danners and so far they haven't leaked, but I'm only on the second year.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I hated the muck woody armor. I've been wearing Danner but they started leaking on the second year. I sprayed them with outdoor Scotchguard and they haven't leaked since but I haven't been in the woods much this year, maybe 15 or so times.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have had the Redhead brand. The pair I have now still keep my feet dry after several years. I did have a pair that leaked after a couple of years. I don't know how they work with snake bites and really don't care to know.:eek:

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I don't know how they work with snake bites and really don't care to know.:eek:
My brother was wearing a pair of Rocky Prolight snake boots while we were walking on one the dredge islands here. He had a little sand cactus go right through the side and into his foot...............that was reassuring.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
My brother was wearing a pair of Rocky Prolight snake boots while we were walking on one the dredge islands here. He had a little sand cactus go right through the side and into his foot...............that was reassuring.

I think the military has adapted science from those things though, for their ability to pierce anydamnthing.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The best boots I have ever worn were Cabelas brand. I had them 15 years or more. Wore them mostly dog hunting early season when I hunted down east in the area that is now the Northern Dismal Club. Also wore them some turkey hunting. They never leaked and were extremely comfortable and snake proof......After they wore out I just bought a pair of mucks...

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I'm not a fan of Rocky boots because of personal bad experience with product and personal service, BUT I was told that they did a demonstration at Springhill outfitters a while back with all of the venomous snakes that we might incur. The demonstrator was letting all of those snakes strike the Prolight boots he was wearing, with venom flowing. Dang fool in my opinion, but sounds like an impressive demonstration.

Last edited:

hoyt85

Six Pointer
Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots are very comfortable and lightweight, hardly any break in period needed. I've had one pair for 4 hard turkey seasons now. Are they still waterproof.....no. However, I haven't found a snake boot that will stay waterproof. I had a couple of pairs of Rocky's back in the day, same story. I think Rocky had a recall on some of their snake boots last year for not actually being snake proof if I remember correctly. I'm giving the Danner's a try this year. Found them on sale for like $75, normally $250, I bought 3 pairs. I'm hoping to at the least I get at least a season or two out of one pair. Buddy of mine loves them. I've had good luck with other Danner boots in the past so time will tell.

IMO if i hadn't of run across the Danner deal I would have bought another pair of the Vaprtreks due simply to the comfort. For a snake boot they wear like a lightweight pair of hikers or tennis shoes.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

Thanks Bryan

The new Muck snakeproof rubber boots are the most comfy things I've ever worn. No slipping and sliding inside.

https://www.amazon.com/MuckBoots-Pursuit-Snake-Hunting-Boot/dp/B00OORGKCC

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
When I moved down east the first time I went scouting down by Holly Shelter Creek I found almost knee high weeds or grass everywhere I wanted to go and it was rather swampy there too. I ended up settling (see what I did there)for a pair of Irish Setter Snake Boots. That was over ten years ago and I'm still using them. They're very light and comfy and they still do not leak at all. The only time their insides got wet was when I had my Frogg Togg pants tucked in to them and walked through a knee high wheat field.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
we have talked about this before but i have had several pairs of the danners because they are light and very comfortable, i have a newer still waterproof pair i wear when i know im dealing with alot of water and i wear an older pair in regular hunts so that i dont wear out my gortex lining on the newer pair, i also use that spray silicone on my older pair to keep out some water
? for the folks with the snake boots that are still waterproof after many years, how much use do they actually get?

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wear my Alpha Burley's when it is going to be wet.. but I can not help you with a snake boot, never owned a pair. If you have leather, Mink Oil in the leather will make it repel water.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I have a pair of Russell Turkey hunters. I bought them used off Oldgobbler. So far, they have not leaked at all and had been worn a good bit previously before I bought them. I loved them so far the one season I have used them, wouldn't want to go back to a rubber boot now.

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
I have loved the older lace up Cabela's Snake Boots but I don't think they make the style any more. Very comfortable but would only get a couple of years out of the waterproofing.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have muck woody armor with the cool lining. I use them hunting in any weather and on jobsites when its wet. Ive worn them for multiple days straight and 38 hours without taking then off on a big shutdown. They are the best boots I can vouch for.