Nose flaking on deer mount

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I've got a nice shoulder mount that I'm starting to notice the black in the nose is flaking off. It's probably 10 years old.
Any remedies or easy fixes? Thanks

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Great taxidermy doing great prices and this is your end result!

This could certainly be true, but there could be lots of explanations on a ten year old mount. Stored in direct sunlight? In the garage? Even the best taxidermists can't control what you do with the mount once you bring it home! But I'm sure if the taxidermist is still in business, he will be happy to fix it. I know I would if my name was attached to it.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
This could certainly be true, but there could be lots of explanations on a ten year old mount. Stored in direct sunlight? In the garage? Even the best taxidermists can't control what you do with the mount once you bring it home! But I'm sure if the taxidermist is still in business, he will be happy to fix it. I know I would if my name was attached to it.

It is in a room with a lot of sun. The taxidermist that did it is top notch and I couldn't be happier with his work. I don't blame him for it at all.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Give your taxidermist a call and tell him the situation,he can tell you what to do to fix it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

Are you doin shoulder mounts yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I just started my second one. I'll let you know it goes! I was really pleased with the first one.

Awesome, can't wait to see em, you did such a good job with my coyote pelt I'm definitely interested to see how you do with a better medium to work with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnhunter280

Button Buck
You can use a syringe with a small needle such as a 21 gauge and use straight Elmer's Glue to apply small dots the same size as the natural nose pad dots are.Place the deer where his nose will be straight up and do small portions of the nose at a time.Allow the dots to dry before doing another section.After a few sections you should be done and the nose pad built back up.The finished nose pad can be repainted,if necessary,and is durable.The one thing to do it not to pick at the dots as if you pull enough on them they could release from the nose.The dots will dry clear and yield a very real looking nose.
If this does not work.the underying material is coming off of the actual nose and the solution may require the previous finish be removed down to the actual leather of the real nose and the glue dot process started over.Either way the nose can be repaired without much difficulty.