Parks & Son Black Powder & Reloading Supplies in Advance, has closed. Inventory gone.

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
Parks & Son Black Powder & Reloading Supplies in Advance, has closed. Inventory gone.

If this has already been announced, my apologies. I don't post as often as I like.

By Monday, December 4th, all the remaining supplies in reloading & muzzleloading will be picked up and carted off. Iron Horse Auctions out of Rockingham has conducted a ten day online auction of all the remaining reloading and muzzleloading inventory that Parks & Son out of Advance, NC had on hand. I heard about it from Phil Futrell at Mid-South Guns in Wagram, and also saw the notice on Facebook.

One could call it the sale of the century in NC.

Literally, tons and tons of ammunition, reloading powder, bullets, bag-shot, primers, brass, percussion caps, and black powder were sold over the past ten days, ending on Thursday evening. There must have been fifty cases, 25 lbs net, of GOEX black powder that sold for 10 to 30 cents on the dollar. I watched some lucky guys end up paying $90.00 for a 25 lb case of GOEX Old Enysford 3 FG powder, GOEX's version of the Swiss powder brand.

I bought a regular GOEX 25 lb case of 2FG for $250.00, which was still a $200 savings if one were to purchase the same online from Powder, Inc @ $18/pound. Percussion caps were selling for fantastic discounts. A $6.99 retail box of CCI #11 selling for prices as low as $1.00 a box. With those prices, I picked up a couple dozen boxes.

Sad to hear Parks and Son is no more. They were the only black powder supplier in NC that offered GOEX black powder below $20 a pound to walk-in customers. They were my primary wholesale supplier for 35 years when I had my black powder shop in Fayetteville.

I hope this will save anyone here from making a wasted trip to Advance.

All the best,

Buck

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember when it Bingham & Parks I use to buy from them back in the 60s and 70s. Used to be one of the biggest Winchester distributors there were.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Dang!!! Hate to hear this!! I have bought my black powder from them since the early '80s...This must not have been open to the public.... :(

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I thought something was going on. One of my friends worked there and I knew he got let go. I also know the guy who owned it up to now. Crying shame that something that great is now gone. There are some gun stores around me that bought all there ammo and powder from them. I'm not sure what they will do.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Is that the auction ironhorse was doing? My cousin showed me the auction at thanksgiving but I forgot to follow up with it

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just looked at the Ironhorse site. There is an auction going on there with a bunch of black powder rifles, shotguns and pistols. A lot of interesting stuff. Prices are still low since it is still 5 days till the end of the auction. If I knew more about some of the guns I might put in a few bids.

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
NC Hawkeye, this was opened to the public.

If you're not on Facebook (I am), how would they advertise and get the best coverage? Newspaper ads might cost more, but no guarantee that it would connect buyers to the auction. If I hadn't heard it from Phil Futrell at Mid South Guns in Wagram (largest selection of double barrel shotguns in the US), I'd be about $500 richer instead of poorer.

"lasttombstone", I drove down to Rockingham to the auction warehouse to see the collection. There are no "plums" to see. Most are double barrel muzzleloading shotguns in poor to fair condition. All of the Civil War muskets have been cut down to the second barrel band, so no (serious) collector value. The cleanest (and all there) is a Springfield Model 1884 .45/70 "Trapdoor" rifle. Very few if any of the revolvers have any original finish. None are safe to shoot.

If you want to see better value in 19th century original Colts, stop at Phil's shop on Wagram's main street. There are thousands of firearms in that Shop. I stopped there on the way back to the house, and I saw a real nice new or like new replica Colt Walker for about $375.00. There's a rack of original CW rifle-muskets on the right just as you walk in the door.

If this recommendation breaks the "House Rules", feel free to edit my post or let me know and I will edit it.

Buck