— Pistol Time —

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Who hunts with a pistol? I typically round out my season in December with at least half a dozen hunts with my trusty. I was fourtunate to shoot a good buck opening day of Muzzleloader and shot nice doe last week. With meat in the freezer I am looking to change it up a bit. Taking my pistol out the majority of the hunts the rest of the way. I have a 44 mag Super Redhawk with a 9.5” barrel topped with a leupold 2.5x8 scope. I shoot a hand load 225gr XPB Barnes projectile and have had good results. I have shot several deer with the setup and I’m comfortable out to a range of about 90yds with it. Just wanted to see who else is planning on doing a little pistol hunting and what setup/pistols others are using. Best of luck!

3B2ED389-EFD6-4A74-893A-733D5EBC2135.jpg814ACFE6-2675-424B-9889-7924283E6078.jpg

Last edited:

Ballshrinker

Button Buck
I hunt with a desert eagle 50 and 357. The first has red dot and the second has a scope. Haven’t used in a few years because of fine tuning new toys.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Love to carry my super black hawk! I topped it with a vortex venom. It’s a lot of fun. Somewhere in between the bow and the rifle. Always nice to switch it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Occasionally I'll tote my S&W Model 686 .357. Never had a deer close enough to squeeze the trigger though.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Have a tc contender in 30/30 that's my go to, might have to get it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been debating carrying the Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag I have, but I haven't squeezed the trigger on it in a while so I need to try it out before I do. Maybe next season.......

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I've taken a doe or two with my Thompson Contender in 35 Rem. I haven't broken it out in a few years though, except when we go shooting.
Joe

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I like the challenge of pistol hunting. Mistakes are amplified if it’s not a rock solid hold.

mrnoshootemaintgood

Four Pointer
I have a cva scout v2 in .243 that I'm gonna get a scope for hopefully to drop one. Gonna use either 87g Berger hsm or 85g sierra hsm

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
88747cd4a1e1eafb7bf48b3153a1655e.jpg
fbdb87f3bd55cfeda63acab80bd466d2.jpg

Last edited:

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I do plenty of hunting with my 9 1/2" Super Redhawk, and TC Encore Pro Hunter, in 7MM-08. Took a good, 160 plus lb 6 pt with the Super Redhawk, last Saturday, at 60 yds. It's definitely, more of a challenge.

Last edited:

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I've got two barrels for my Contender, 14" .41 Mag and 10" .357 Mag Hot Shot. The hot shot has a choke that stops the spin of the shotshell. Think Speer shotcapsuls at 15 yds 6" spread for squirrels.

IMG_0545_rz.jpg

Rest of the .41 family, all get used for hunting. Smith 58 more backup duty in Alaska however.

CD

Last edited:

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I've got two barrels for my Contender, 14" .41 Mag and 10" .357 Mag Hot Shot. The hot shot has a choke that stops the spin of the shotshell. Think Speer shotcapsuls at 15 yds 6" spread for squirrels.

IMG_0545_rz.jpg

Rest of the .41 family, all get used for hunting. Smith 58 more backup duty in Alaska however.

CD
^^^^^^Nice collection^^^^^^^

My current hunter 44mag and one in progress in 6mm Creed.

Attachments

• 24699125231_c2d51c956e_c.jpg
    24699125231_c2d51c956e_c.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0963small.jpg
    IMG_0963small.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 287

robertc

Eight Pointer
Early 1980's 44 mag Interarms Virginian Dragoon. 7 1/2" barrell, Pachmayr grips with a Leupold. 2X scope. Extremely accurate out to 100 yards shooting a custom hand load round of 29.5 gr. of H110 with a 180 grain Sierra JHC. Have taken deer out to 70 yards with this wheel gun.
320601429e22144ee784b8a611565d7c.jpg

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Been taking my son's Judge with 6 inch barrel and .45 LC with 255 grain bullet. Seems when I take it no deer come in range, leave it home and they try to walk on me.. go figure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
8b902726ddf50b17c3162c0f6a6337a2.jpg

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Early 1980's 44 mag Interarms Virginian Dragoon. 7 1/2" barrell, Pachmayr grips with a Leupold. 2X scope. Extremely accurate out to 100 yards shooting a custom hand load round of 29.5 gr. of H110 with a 180 grain Sierra JHC. Have taken deer out to 70 yards with this wheel gun.
320601429e22144ee784b8a611565d7c.jpg

I like it!

Check out how the pic makes the bbl look bent..haha

How is the recoil with the 44?

sent from...... Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wiuld start with the pistol, but ive yet to put one down at all this year. The last two years have been pitiful on land that has produced for years. Something has changed and i bavent pinpointed it

VikingsFan8178

how do you feel about the 7.5 inch model vs. the 9.5 inch model of the Super Redhawk 44 mag?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
how do you feel about the 7.5 inch model vs. the 9.5 inch model of the Super Redhawk 44 mag?

7.5 does just fine.
No real need for the longer if you use scope.

If you plan to shoot iron then yes the longer the better. I had a old SBH 10.5 that shot great.
Most the guns I shoot now are 5.5 to 7.5

robertc

Eight Pointer
I like it!

Check out how the pic makes the bbl look bent..haha

How is the recoil with the 44?

sent from...... Tapatalk
It was designed like that to be able to shoot around trees. Seriously it's right much of a handful with the hand loads but manageable. It's not going to break your wrist or anything.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
7.5 does just fine.
No real need for the longer if you use scope.

If you plan to shoot iron then yes the longer the better. I had a old SBH 10.5 that shot great.
Most the guns I shoot now are 5.5 to 7.5

About my all time favorite is still my SBH 10.5" .44 Magnum. It has accounted for several deer since purchased right after I turned 21.

<>< Fish

SBH.44.jpg

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor

I personally like the balance of my 9.5. Handles well and steadies nicely. A buddy of mine has a 7.5 and says the same. It’s a personal preferance I suppose. If you are in the market for one get hands on with both models and go with what feels right.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Who hunts with a pistol? I typically round out my season in December with at least half a dozen hunts with my trusty. I was fourtunate to shoot a good buck opening day of Muzzleloader and shot nice doe last week. With meat in the freezer I am looking to change it up a bit. Taking my pistol out the majority of the hunts the rest of the way. I have a 44 mag Super Redhawk with a 9.5&#8221; barrel topped with a leupold 2.5x8 scope. I shoot a hand load 225gr XPB Barnes projectile and have had good results. I have shot several deer with the setup and I&#8217;m comfortable out to a range of about 90yds with it. Just wanted to see who else is planning on doing a little pistol hunting and what setup/pistols others are using. Best of luck!

View attachment 58368View attachment 58369

That's not a pistol - that's a rifle! :)

ranger300rum

Button Buck
I love my 9.5 super redhawk. It does steady well as stated above. Recoil isn't too bad in my opinion. I have the same gun in. 454 and it can be brutal with heavy handloads. 180gr loads in the. 44 should be quite manageable although everyone is different.

ranger300rum

Button Buck
Forgot to mention I hope to get another one with my. 243 encore pistol. Love this setup with a Nikon 3-9 on it. 1.5" groups at 100yrds on a good day and I'm no pro. Recoil isn't too bad. Much better than the. 270win barrel for it. That's a different beast all together....

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Forgot to mention I hope to get another one with my. 243 encore pistol. Love this setup with a Nikon 3-9 on it. 1.5" groups at 100yrds on a good day and I'm no pro. Recoil isn't too bad. Much better than the. 270win barrel for it. That's a different beast all together....

I had the same set up in 270 and stepped down to a 30/30 barrel instead. Still does good at 100 yards and a LITTLE better on recoil.

ranger300rum

Button Buck
Yeah that 270win is tough. In all fairness I didn't spend much time with it. Reloaded a few 110gr. accubonds at fairly low speed and did fair with them. I love big handguns but I have my limits... Lol. 30-30 probably would be a pretty sweet middle point.