Hard won coon

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went slumming tonight, went to some public land. It isn't all that big and every place I went you could pull off the road there was a truck with a dog box. I was about to leave as I pulled to the last turn out when I saw light coming up to the truck that was parked. I stopped and the guys were coming out leading a couple long eared dawgs. LOL

I said it was kinda crowded and they said "shot out" didn't get a bark. I told them I was going to try anyway and Dumped soon as they put their dogs in the box. They stood there and talked a little and I was watching the dogs on the Garmin. I saw that bat hit on something about 400 yards from the truck and Sue started opening shortly. They looked at me funny and asked what I thought they were on. I told them a coon. At 680 they had him up. They asked if I minded if they went along. I guess they had to see for themselves. I told them to come right along.

Turned out it was hollow but the coon peeked out several times when I squalled, in fact I could have shot it. I think the way the tree curved it would have fell out but I wasn't going to take a chance. They made me proud tonight.
Click on link for vid.
https://flic.kr/p/223Fubt

rodman

Ten Pointer
The next time that happens NC look at them and say "if I tell you the berries are ripe you better bring your bucket". One of the fun times of dog hunting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I learned a long time ago not to talk too much smack about dogs. The buzzards will come home to roost sooner or later. LOL

rodman

Ten Pointer
Friend of mine claimed dog on about 3 crossings one night as his. After he got to thinking about it she wasn't even in the race. She was at the house in heat