Trapping Adventures with Prune

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I sure hope y'all are keeping that beaver meat for bait!.........Prune should know by now I need all I can get.

When y'all want those snares and 330 triggers?....and how many re-bar stakes?

Jammer

Six Pointer
Rolled a big fat zero today and to top that off I had to go do that 4 letter word that starts with W. We may have slow days but very rarely do we come up empty. I hope the critters are enjoying their last few days of freedom. Full court press starts this weekend!

Since I know y'all like looking at pics, here is Prune like you have never seen him before.

IMG_2319.jpg

Jammer

Six Pointer
Today was better than yesterday but not by much. Just an average possum and a dink beaver. At least it was easy carrying out of the swamp.

Both of the dam break traps were triggered and empty. One had a 2” diameter nipping stick in it like a beaver was trying to repair the break and the stick triggered the trap. The other set was triggered by debris in the faster current I believe. Both traps were buried in mud,sticks and vegetation so I know there are still some beavers swimming around.

Today’s haul:

6b176b9aea7c11b86911425bc5e5acc6.jpg
74b9bf07cb40d75181bbe902391b0169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammer

Six Pointer
Nasty day out there today. I hope that big buck steps out for y'all that are braving the weather. I thought today would be a bust on the line because of the weather but I was happy to see a soggy yote hopping.

I almost got stuck going up a pretty nasty washed out logging road. I texted Prune and told him I was stuck just to mess with him. I'll tell you what fellas....If you want to know who your friends are just text or call them while they are at work and see what their responses are. Prune's reply "well :donk:donk:donk:donk....lemme tell/find the boss to let her know I gotta go". He was going to leave work and come pull me out...give up money so I didn't have to wait for him to actually get off at 5:00. I had to send him a quick text to let him know I was just pulling his leg. He was in the boss's office when he read the second text. That was a close one. lol

Here is a couple pics of the soggy songdog:

IMG_0887.jpgIMG_0889.jpg

Prune

Four Pointer
Steelshot...when were out traping this weekend I'll have your super urine in the truck and meet ya somewhere near will holler at ya... When this weather clears out tomorrow we are gonna lay some steel been puttering long enough....tighten your boots Jammer we are gonna roll 👍

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Sounds good just call me I'll be around. Be careful out there tomorrow. I ran my sets after work and let me tell you..... first time I was glad I didn't have anything. I really didn't feel like messing with a mud ball this afternoon. I was glad I used peat as my bedding yesterday evening but it ain't gonna matter after today/tonight and tomorrow. Will be working like it's the first day of season again when all this clears out lol. Good luck

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Jammer, that last one singing at you must have been a female. Seems like the females are the only ones who sing to me.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Prune and I pulled most of the traps today so we could regroup and hit it hard tomorrow on a couple different farms. We made 5 dz cable stakes and crimped them on traps to be ready for tomorrow. With the traps we pulled today and the the ones we got ready today, we’ll have about 75 to set.

Last edited:

Jammer

Six Pointer
We pulled the remaining traps we had out this morning and moved on down the road. Then spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon laying steel across three different farms. Most sets are singles so we could spread out and cover all three properties. Tomorrow we will add a second or third set to what we put out today and add a few more farms to the route. In total we set 31 traps today. Should have some critters hopping tomorrow.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
sounds good Buck
Looking forward to some catch pix!
Do yall still need some rebar stakes?....in addition to the 330 triggers and beaver snares and tail zipper, already awaiting delivery?

Last edited:

Jammer

Six Pointer
sounds good Buck
Looking forward to some catch pix!
Do yall still need some rebar stakes?....in addition to the 330 triggers and beaver snares and tail zipper, already awaiting delivery?

Prune will have to answer you on that stuff.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Had another fast and furious day setting. Actually set more today than yesterday. Including the 31 from yesterday, we have 76 sets out.

Slow day as far as catches. A grey fox and a beaver but it was only day 1 after setting. We really like days 2-5. Seems like they are our big producers.

Here is the grey. I forgot to snap a pic of the beaver.

f3733487d054e184e53a8cac606fb300.jpg

Jammer

Six Pointer
Had a good day on the trapline today. I'm telling y'all Prune really knows his stuff! I mean, look at this beauty, have you ever seen a trophy like this?

IMG_2254.jpg

Ok, all kidding aside (at least for now) it was a pretty good day. We set a few more traps and picked up a few critters along the way. The first catch of the day was a tiny possum. I'm talking this thing was so small I think it was riding in mama's pouch and got its foot caught as mama walked by the trap! The next 2 catches were greys. I hated having to watch them run free. They really need to fix the law and get a statewide fox season. The 4th criiter of the day was another possum. It was far from huge but bigger than the first one. The final catch of the day was a nice bobcat. She had some nice spots.

Over half the sets had activity. We had a few snapped traps along the way. Sometimes I think they have metal detectors in their feet. There were 2 sets that the paw prints were so close to the pan that I don't think they could have been any closer without the trap going off. Tomorrow we move into day 2 and 3 for the sets we got out this week. Right smack in the middle of primetime! I'm sure I'll have more pics for you tomorrow.

If y'all ask nice I might even throw in a bonus pic from last year of Prune's most memorable double. He doesn't like to talk about that day but I know it's one of his proudest moments.

In the meantime, enjoy today's pics.
IMG_0904.jpgIMG_0902.jpgIMG_0900.jpgIMG_0903.jpg

odie408

Ten Pointer
^^^^ Me too. I am waiting til after deer season to set so this thread is pasifing me. Jammer I hate releasing too. If I catch a coyote in a snare I have to release it because it is not listed in the animals that could be snared when the local law was made because they were'nt here then. But after I release it I can then shoot it if I have a coyote permit.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Didn't update yesterday. I was worn out and hit the bed early. Prune either has old man stamina or he's half dead and that half doesn't get tired. We would have had a pretty good day if we were in Chatham Co.

Prune had a possum down below his house. It was funny because we have had a camera down there for almost a month and had yotes and greys but no possums. Had a grey in the first set we checked and the 2nd set was messed with. We pulled the next 2 because they were in a bad location. There was a young red hopping at the next stop as well as a rabbit that was unlucky enough to step on the pan. Things were looking good. We had critters at every stop so far.

The next stop produced another big possum. That was all for the eastern side of our route. At the first stop on the west side we were greeted by a coon hanging out in a sapling. He looked small until Prune got him to the truck. There was another grey at the next stop. It was in the same trap that produced a grey the day before. Heck, maybe it was the same fox as yesterday but I doubt it. They aren't that stupid. Had a few more sets messed with but no joy.

We set my camera up on a trail with a lot of cat sign and staked a beaver carcass down. The camera sends the pics to my phone and it gets pretty exciting when the texts come in. Had a grey come in last night. The camera was set to send a pic and take a video so it will be interesting to check the card and see what the video shows.

It's getting to the point that I would almost rather catch coons and big possums. At least we can keep them.

Here are yesterday's pics:

IMG_0905.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0907.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0915.jpg

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Last year I had a bobcat coming to a beaver carcass so I set 2 traps around it. Next morning I had 2 buzzards in them.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Last year I had a bobcat coming to a beaver carcass so I set 2 traps around it. Next morning I had 2 buzzards in them.

We know that pain. Same thing happened to us 2 years ago but the traps were 20 feet from the carcass.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Had a hawk come into the carcass. At least it scared the buzzards off.
e560da22d359f1a21874e8369da28dc1.jpg
4950fd5cf91190d2492e0573a7f38d2d.jpg

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
what do yall do when you catch a buzzard or hawk>?

when you set up on roadbeds and trails do you ever accidentally catch deer?

ladeer

Six Pointer
I put out a carcass and had a bald eagle on it. If I knew how to post pictures I would, it looks cool.

Jammer

Six Pointer
what do yall do when you catch a buzzard or hawk>?

when you set up on roadbeds and trails do you ever accidentally catch deer?

Throw a heavy coat like a carhartt over the bird to calm it and move quick to release it. Talons and beaks are nasty weapons. As far as deer they do step on the trap pan sometimes but they are strong enough to pull out. Plus there isn't really anything on that part of the leg to pinch and get caught in the trap. I imagine if the trap jaws were big enough to get above the dew claw (is that the right term ?) that it might hold a deer. I know that a trap will hold a goat. Here is a pic of a double goat catch from last year.IMG_2687.jpg

Jammer

Six Pointer
Gather round boys and girls. It's time for today's story. The adventures actually started last night. Prune was outside last night and and saw eye shine when he swept his flashlight across his backyard. He went down to investigate and found a Carolina Silver Sable in the trap. He dispatched the possum, reset the trap, and left the critter on the floor of the fur shack for processing today. More on that later.

The first stop today produced a coon that was just kinda lounging in a dugout lazyboy. The next stop had a yote that had chewed up the log we used as backing. I think he was doing his best to imitate a beaver. We also has an obese coon. The third stop had a grey. Sorry but I forgot to take a picture of the fox. That was it for the west end of the line. The east end was a bust today. The final stop had a big ol beaver. It makes 5 we have taken out of this swamp and I don't think we are finished in there.

Remember the possum from last night? You know, the one that Prune shot in the head and left on the floor of the fur shack. Yeah, that possum. This morning when Prune went out to the fur shack that possum was missing. Either Prune is a really bad aim or that was a bulletproof possum. We found the still alive possum hiding behind some stuff in the corner. That joker was tough.

Enjoy the pics:

IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0920.jpgIMG_0924.jpg