Trapping Adventures with Prune

Jammer

Six Pointer
It all started 2 years ago when I was having a problem with some coons messing with my chickens. I turned to the forum for help and Prune said he could help me out. He showed up a couple days later and set some DPs. One day while retrieving a coon I asked Prune if I could ride along to see what trapping was all about. Long story short, I have been riding with him almost every day of the last 2 seasons and I don't see it ending anytime soon. We have too much fun (good and bad times) to quit now!

From the start I joked about keeping a journal of our daily adventures with the highlights being called "journal entries". So here it is. I will try to update this thread daily with tails of our adventures and pics of catches.

We started the day after thanksgiving and so far we have been puttering around with a couple traps in the dirt and a new bait we made right after the convention. We will go all out in another week or so. Here are a couple pics of catches so far.

a0947bb5201a8e9e5b503053e04ecf91.jpg
3b8c78738aff33a4a4698d532238d87a.jpg

And to make Prune happy, I got stuck in a field today and had to get the landowner to pull me out with the tractor. Like I said.....fun times.

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
he can get away with it because they have claimed him as one of their own. I think its a glandular from the little bit of coffee he mixes with his creamer and 3 lbs of sugar in the morning. HaHa

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In Moore about a mile from the Harnett line.

thanks

getting too close,,,,,,

grew up skunks trapping and killing,,,,,,,don't have any inclination to get back into it but of they get down this way Watch Out,,,,

Jammer

Six Pointer
BUT BUCK...was he using Chunky Cat or Beaver Bites Bait and/or FLatsNposts Lure ????????????????

"We started the day after thanksgiving and so far we have been puttering around with a couple traps in the dirt and a new bait we made right after the convention."

But that's a nice plug for your baits/lures John.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Had about a 10% catch rate today. Starting with a possom on the first set I checked. As I was taking care of the possum and resetting the trap I heard a lot of barking further down the line. I was hoping it was a coyote but of course it was just a scraggly lab and his corgi running mate. The corgi ran off as I got closer and the lab was friendly enough. He actually tried to get in my truck when I let him out of the trap.

On the next farm I found the yote I was looking for. She was really vocal right up until I got the catch pole around her neck. That was it for catches today. It's been a slow week.

Once Prune got out of work we set some 330s on a farm that is having a lot of beaver problems. They have water backed up for a mile upstream. The dam is about 150 yards across and is visible on google maps.

Here are a couple pics of today's catches:

IMG_0844.jpgIMG_0840.jpg

Jammer

Six Pointer
Kind of a slow day. My 10 year old daughter rode with us today so slow or not it was still a great day. The 330s were empty but it's just a matter of time before we whack the beavers. Ended up with a grey fox and a monster possum. The fox was released. Maybe some day we will be able to keep them in all counties. The possum on the other hand took a ride to the fur shack. The pelt measured 26" before being stretched on a board and his canines extended down past his lower jaw. We may not get but a couple bucks apiece for them but we average around 200 grinners a year and that covers our gas and hotel room at the Virginia auction in March.

He is today's laugh....we were sitting eating lunch at Mcdonalds and I asked my daughter (who was sitting next to me) when she got so cute. From across the table I hear "I've been this way for awhile now." I almost choked on a french fry! For those that know Prune know why that's funny. The possum in the back of the truck was better looking and I can prove it!

Here are today's pics. Sorry if anyone is offended by the ugly critter in the possum pic.IMG_0847.jpgIMG_0845.jpg

Last edited:

Jammer

Six Pointer
Another slow day but a 10% catch rate again. This time it was a trash panda and a beaver. The coon was a back foot catch in a foothold but other than that there isn’t a story.

The beaver was a different story. We have to wade about 75 yards along the edge of a swamp to get to the dam where we busted a couple holes and filled them with 330s. The first hole was repaired without snapping the conibear. I pulled that trap so I could clear the hole and then reset. Prune headed to the second trap. That trap had a small beaver in it and the other beavers had repaired the dam right around the dead beaver. Guess they didn’t need as many sticks and mud that way. Now back to me at the first trap. As I was pulling it up the safeties slipped off and the trap snapped on both my hands. If y’all don’t know, it kinda hurts when that happens. I ended up with sore knuckles on my right hand and a blackened fingernail on the index finger of my left hand. I threw the trap down and made my way out to Prune.....cussing the whole way. Prune, of course, is laughing at me. Not once did he ask if I was ok. Some friend he is!

Anyway, he was clearing the break in the dam with my wife’s tater rake when the head fell off the rake. My wife said he is just lucky he found the head and the rake can be fixed!

So to recap the day, we ended up with 2 critters. I was injured due to Prune’s FAULTY trap and he broke a rake because of OPERATOR ERROR. Yeah that sounds about right.

Here are today’s pics:
98561acd510bd560bbe4aea071240464.jpg
e84a5676cba249af7506da6445f36bd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prune

Four Pointer
Think it was the other way around tater rake was faulty and 330 seemed fine when i reset it in another dam break..i blame the smacked hand on operator error...just another day...at least it wasn't me...figured you were fine didn't here the famous i need some help here...hand will be good in a few days..tomorrow is another day...and what shall it bring....laughs for sure

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
By any chance was that 330 a shiney black color? I got some speed demon 220s one time from him that where scary lol they are my go to beaver traps.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Land trapping was a bust today but a couple beavers took a ride to the fur shack. Another small one and big mama. Had a heck of a time getting them out of the swamp. I had to throw the dink as far as I could and tow big mama behind me as I waded through water and muck that alternated between ankle deep and thigh high. Wouldn't have been bad if I didn't have to weave through trees and step over fallen logs. By the time I got back to the truck I was worn slap out. Big mama ended up weighing 57 pounds.

Enjoy today's pic. The yard stick is for size reference.
IMG_0859.jpg

Jammer

Six Pointer
Today was a good day. The critters were really moving last night. We only hit the 10% mark again but we had a couple quality catches. Almost all the traps had activity measuring by the amount of tracks just to the side of the pans. Or the backing that was torn down. It’s all good, sooner or later they will make a mistake. As Prune keeps telling me.....”patience Grasshopper”.

Snagged our 3rd yote of the season and the 1st bobcat. The cat was a decent sized female. Hopefully she made the area smell good and we’ll have a pumpkin-headed male dancing soon.

Headed off to Prune’s after supper to get the beavers from yesterday and today’s critters skinned and put up.

Here are today’s pics:

2ce0ecb66aec2fcae2b80f2792af1fb7.jpg
e7f03e33ccacfdc31ed8a9cc0905ed3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Awesome job! Those yots u are trapping have some good fur. Those I have seen on camera look half naked.