Trolling for stripers

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
Anyone troll for them in the winter on lakes. Thought about giving it a try a few times this winter with umbrella rigs. If Anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Wish I could help and hope to see someone have success doing this. We troll for them at the hottest point of summer at night and limit out pretty much every trip. Winter time we chase birds for the most part. Good luck!

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
Wish I could help and hope to see someone have success doing this. We troll for them at the hottest point of summer at night and limit out pretty much every trip. Winter time we chase birds for the most part. Good luck!

That’s what I have always done in the past when I go in the winter is follow the birds. I mainly catfish and do some crappie fishing. Just wanted to try something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Follow birds or cast large Sassy Shad or a similar tail wiggler or jig/spoon along the drop offs/channels after seeing fish on the flasher.

We have creamed them at times on Norman and Badin and Wylie and Buggs Island and Mountain Island...with the line freezing to the guides at times. I nearly had a couple line class records with a few fish.

Last edited:

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Follow birds or cast large Sassy Shad or a similar tail wiggler or jig/spoon along the drop offs/channels after seeing fish on the flasher.

We have creamed them at times on Norman and Badin and Wylie and Buggs Island and Mountain Island...with the line freezing to the guides at times. I nearly had a couple line class records with a few fish.

Never knew Wylie had many stripers? I have never fished exclusively for them at Wylie but have fished it for a long time. I have heard of people saying they caught some there though.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I know some that regularly troll for stripers on Jordan with success in the winter. Matter of fact I've thought about dragging my boat home from the coast in a few weeks and trying my hand at it for kicks. I might live bait bump trolling shad like fishing for Kings or depending upon conditions slow troll crank baits & bucktails. It will give me an excuse to run her in wintertime and to work out any kinks with my setup for offshore while having fun. Guarantee I'll get some looks being the only CC on the lake with a full 5-6 line spread working. If there's any wind I might even try a kite rig for the heck of it.