Any BIG flocks being seen ??????

Taproot

We have a new 7,000-acre lease in NW Kansas that is loaded with turkeys. I was telling the landowner that I counted almost 100 birds in one flock in December, and he said they tried counting one field and quit at 200 birds. I can't wait to get there this Spring.

Blades

Six Pointer
I hope my flock comes back, I can only get 2-4 toms on camera recently.

While checking my traps a month ago I walked over a ridge and startled the usual flock of 25-30 birds. Unfortunately they flew off about 100-200 yards across the creek to my neighbors property. I’m hoping they will come back so I put out a bag of corn and camera. Giving the woods a rest and not going out there till the end of March to scout and check the cards. I’ll be pretty bummed this season if they find a new place.

Cabarrus Co

Predator elimination: 12 raccoons 3 possums

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I hope my flock comes back, I can only get 2-4 toms on camera recently.

While checking my traps a month ago I walked over a ridge and startled the usual flock of 25-30 birds. Unfortunately they flew off about 100-200 yards across the creek to my neighbors property. I’m hoping they will come back so I put out a bag of corn and camera. Giving the woods a rest and not going out there till the end of March to scout and check the cards. I’ll be pretty bummed this season if they find a new place.

Cabarrus Co

Predator elimination: 12 raccoons 3 possums

blades, That bust up you performed is standard fall techniques to hunt turkeys. bustem up and call them back.

your brief intrusion is not going to bother them IF they want to be there.

It is a fine line sometimes in where they spend February versus april.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw at least 40 this morning with 3 big strutters blown up in the middle of them. This warm weather has them feeling froggy.

Blades

Six Pointer
blades, That bust up you performed is standard fall techniques to hunt turkeys. bustem up and call them back.

your brief intrusion is not going to bother them IF they want to be there.

It is a fine line sometimes in where they spend February versus april.

Good luck.

Thanks OS! This will be my 4th season and still learning a lot! I just don't get them sometimes and have done the same thing while they were dusting but they just scampered off, no flight. I did hear an assembly yelp on the other side of the ridge on my neighbors property when they flew off. Only time will tell like you say.

What time do you guys typically start seeing increased strutting and gobbling? Mine, the past few years have been the last week in March like a clock but with this warm weather I would expect it to be maybe a week or two earlier (I know they are the opposite of deer with daylight and testosterone increases). What do you guys think?

Thanks

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks OS! This will be my 4th season and still learning a lot! I just don't get them sometimes and have done the same thing while they were dusting but they just scampered off, no flight. I did hear an assembly yelp on the other side of the ridge on my neighbors property when they flew off. Only time will tell like you say.

What time do you guys typically start seeing increased strutting and gobbling? Mine, the past few years have been the last week in March like a clock but with this warm weather I would expect it to be maybe a week or two earlier (I know they are the opposite of deer with daylight and testosterone increases). What do you guys think?

Thanks

as in all things turkey, It Just Depends. (with apologies to E&EC, the two premier THs in the state.)

trail cams have shown us theirs strutting at any given time, you could have heard some this am if you were in the right place.

to me it's like fishing, by the time most folks think it's time: it's way past time. :)

Listen any morning you feel like it from now till whenever. you may not hear a thing but you might hear a ton of gobbling.

i will start traveling long distances on the weekends soon on the chance they will be gobbling. i like to listen. :)

FWIW the NCWRC has a gobbling study that you may find interesting. It documents gobbling at selected places across the state and was increased last season, the new one should be out soon.

CRC, help us here please. I know you can find it.

Last edited:

Blades

Six Pointer
Thanks OS, ill try to find that study. If nothing else it would be a good baseline.

Agreed 100% on the timing, last year I had first hand experience. They went silent for a week or two.

Taproot

Gobblers are still bunched up in NE Georgia. A few are strutting and sparring but have not begun to gather hens.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I saw a HUGE mixed flock Friday in a field on 70 between Kinston and New Bern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Blades

Six Pointer
my flock still hasn't returned:(. I did find some scratching and a wing feather this weekend when scouting....still nothing on the cameras.

Hopefully they will get local mid-march so I can lock them down, if they are in a different area.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Flock of 15-20 Hens left one farm for most of Feb., just returned last week. 9 Toms have split up. 4 jakes hanging together and two of the 9 Toms running the show on camera. Won’t let others near the hens. Strutting daily and gobbled decent this am. Will post pics sometime this week.

Taproot

Hearing a few gobbling at first light. Gobblers have not split up the harems yet. Can't wait for our Mar 24 opener.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went down to the club in Halifax this past weekend......saw a few groups and some strutters, just not the normal numbers or locations I am used to seeing them.....will be headed back in a couple weekends to take another inventory.....