Any BIG flocks being seen ??????

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This evening less than a 1/2 mile from the house was 36 turkeys in one flock in a recently planted wheat field.:eek:
Never seen that many birds anywhere in NC..... much less Harnett county.:D

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago I once saw a late winter flock in Currituck Co that had 104 in it. That was the first year they opened up the season on them there. Saw 20 something in a flock a couple weeks ago in Harnett.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I think someone here reported a flock of 60 in Franklin Co. a week or so ago. Having lived there till '97 I had seen only 1 turkey from '46 till '97.

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Last week in Franklin County -

22 hens in a flock

5 long beards (not with the 22 hens)

Bean

Eight Pointer
I have 2 separate flocks of hens 18 in one 24 in another and 2 groups of gobblers 4 in one 6 in another and I'm not a Turkey hunter.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
it's going to be an incredible spring kill wise for NC.

But we had a poor hatch again ...

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Species/Birds/Wild-Turkey#2489432-surveysbr-research

"Productivity statewide was estimated to be 1.8 poults per hen (Table 2), but was significantly higher in the coastal region than in the piedmont or mountains (2 Sample T-test; p<.001). Productivity was estimated to be 2.1 poults/hen in the coastal region and 1.6 poults/hen in both the piedmont and mountain regions. Poult survival statewide (estimated number of poults for hens with at least one poult) was 3.7, but also varied significantly among the regions (ANOVA; p<.01). Poult survival estimates in the coastal (3.8) and piedmont (3.7) regions were very similar to each other (2 Sample T-test; p=.21), but were significantly higher than poult survival in the mountain region (3.4) (2 Sample T-test; p<.01).
Our estimates of turkey reproduction this year are relatively low in comparison to what we&#8217;ve observed over the course of the last decade. During the last 10 years, productivity estimates have been as high as 2.7 poults per hen (Figure 4) and estimates of poult survival have been as high as 4.0 poults per hen with poults (Figure 5). It is somewhat encouraging to see this year&#8217;s estimates higher than those seen in 2016, since the 2016 survey recorded the lowest estimates during this time period. However, this year&#8217;s estimates are still relatively low in comparison to most of the previous 10 years. It could be that some of this general decline in productivity is due to turkey populations increasing and expanding into marginal habitats where nesting/brood rearing are more difficult."

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
But we had a poor hatch again ...

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Species/Birds/Wild-Turkey#2489432-surveysbr-research

"Productivity statewide was estimated to be 1.8 poults per hen (Table 2), but was significantly higher in the coastal region than in the piedmont or mountains (2 Sample T-test; p<.001). Productivity was estimated to be 2.1 poults/hen in the coastal region and 1.6 poults/hen in both the piedmont and mountain regions. Poult survival statewide (estimated number of poults for hens with at least one poult) was 3.7, but also varied significantly among the regions (ANOVA; p<.01). Poult survival estimates in the coastal (3.8) and piedmont (3.7) regions were very similar to each other (2 Sample T-test; p=.21), but were significantly higher than poult survival in the mountain region (3.4) (2 Sample T-test; p<.01).
Our estimates of turkey reproduction this year are relatively low in comparison to what we’ve observed over the course of the last decade. During the last 10 years, productivity estimates have been as high as 2.7 poults per hen (Figure 4) and estimates of poult survival have been as high as 4.0 poults per hen with poults (Figure 5). It is somewhat encouraging to see this year’s estimates higher than those seen in 2016, since the 2016 survey recorded the lowest estimates during this time period. However, this year’s estimates are still relatively low in comparison to most of the previous 10 years. It could be that some of this general decline in productivity is due to turkey populations increasing and expanding into marginal habitats where nesting/brood rearing are more difficult."

the nchf index trumps this. 2016 had poults everywhere in that summer , jakes attacking last spring and big ole flocks now this winter.

the youth week will run during spring break for the kids. we may kill more that week than all of some seasons. :)

it will be interesting to see the real time reporting of the kills.

no more "i aint hearing them, they are all dead" stuff pessimism to be taken as gospel.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
the nchf index trumps this. 2016 had poults everywhere in that summer , jakes attacking last spring and big ole flocks now this winter.

the youth week will run during spring break for the kids. we may kill more that week than all of some seasons. :)

it will be interesting to see the real time reporting of the kills.

no more "i aint hearing them, they are all dead" stuff pessimism to be taken as gospel.

I think most Spring breaks this year will be the first week of April. At least in Chatham the turkeys will have one more week to live.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife and I work in separate school systems, both have spring break the week before youth season.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns

But 2016 had an even poorer hatch, according to NCWRC's survey... So, if traditional turkey hunter lore holds true, we won't have many loud mouthed two-year olds wanting to die this spring. (Of course, I ain't much for traditional turkey hunter lore.)

"Unfortunately, this year&#8217;s statewide estimates (2016) of 1.5 poults per hen and 3.3 poults per hen with poults are the lowest on record during this time period. While it is important to note that productivity alone does not predict potential changes in the turkey population, this year&#8217;s relatively low turkey reproduction may lead to lower population and harvest levels in the next few years."

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think most Spring breaks this year will be the first week of April. At least in Chatham the turkeys will have one more week to live.

youth week though is open? as many as are running around i thought the youths would slay them that week.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
But 2016 had an even poorer hatch, according to NCWRC's survey... So, if traditional turkey hunter lore holds true, we won't have many loud mouthed two-year olds wanting to die this spring. (Of course, I ain't much for traditional turkey hunter lore.)

"Unfortunately, this year&#8217;s statewide estimates (2016) of 1.5 poults per hen and 3.3 poults per hen with poults are the lowest on record during this time period. While it is important to note that productivity alone does not predict potential changes in the turkey population, this year&#8217;s relatively low turkey reproduction may lead to lower population and harvest levels in the next few years."

i suppose that was said for the 2015 hatch as well and we all know what happened last year. :)

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
38 hens on one farm along with a group of 5 Toms and 2 jakes. Another farm I saw 14 hens, and had 9 Toms fly down in my lap. Watching 9 long beards for 3 hours was a treat for sure. 1 strutted, while the others bumped each other around. Didn&#8217;t see one jake in either group. All in Halifax Co.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't see them personally but a farmer neighbors been seeing two large flocks on two of his farms.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got 6 gobblers using my soybean field once a week. They came within 10 yards of the groundblind

xbowhuntonly

Four Pointer
ed8a21df3e2aa07599cb221414374ff2.jpg
I’m just waiting patiently for turkey season this picture was taking Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
that ^^^ is so much better than a pic of a deer in a corn pile. thanks for all of you that have posted the turkey pics.

i see countless hours of fun in that pic versus endless hours of guarding of bait waiting for a daylight appearance by a wood goat.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We see big flocks of Turkeys on a regular basis on the farm I hunt in Northampton.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I️ saw a gobbler in a field yesterday in Moore. First bird I’ve seen in a good while

Supposed to be a lot of turkeys on the farm I️ hunt in Vance but I’ve gotten one trail cam pic of a hen and seen one set of tracks

I️ have to correct myself, I️ have trail cam pics for the first time in a long time in Moore of a couple groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bperry

Six Pointer
I hunt north of Louisburg and saw a flock three weeks ago that had between 70-80 birds. It's the biggest flock I have ever seen in NC.