Woodcock in the mountains

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Normally by now I’ve at least found a few woodcock in the mountains where I grouse hunt but not this year.... just wandering if anyone else is experiencing this??

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Haven't jumped one yet in the mountains.

Actually haven't jumped one anywhere yet.

It's coming soon. Heck a couple seasons ago I jumped one on a bald at 5,500' at the end of December in the snow..... I think he was lost... LOL

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
First woodcock my dog ever pointed & flushed was at Pond Mtn gsmelands 4 years ago while grouse hunting. Never expected that, especially since there was 4" of snow on the ground.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Normally by now I’ve at least found a few woodcock in the mountains where I grouse hunt but not this year.... just wandering if anyone else is experiencing this??

Just got my first one the other day at Sandy Mush. To say it was delicious is an understatement! Absolutely amazing

Attachments

• 70B41509-C4E0-4F17-8DE6-D560F797414B.jpg
    70B41509-C4E0-4F17-8DE6-D560F797414B.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 111

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Alright....ive spotted some at a place that I hunt. Harnett county. I actually bumped 2 up when trailing a deer and spotteda couple more. I dont have a dog. Could i revisit the same place and hope to find them there again? Ive never had anything to do with a woodcock,but it has a season.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, as long as they are still around, you will find them in the same spots. Sometimes down to within a few yards. They will hold tight sometimes though. I have tried to walk them up in the past with marginal success. Kinda like a rabbit, they will let you walk right by. I'd say you'll flush 3-4 times as many with a dog, but it's still worth a shot.

How big is the property? How many acres do you have that has the same type of habitat as where you flushed them?

I had 8 flushes today, but it just wasn't my day. Normally I have a pretty good success rate, but they were not giving me shots today at all, and the 2 that did I didn't manage to hit. Good flushing day, bad shooting day.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, as long as they are still around, you will find them in the same spots. Sometimes down to within a few yards. They will hold tight sometimes though. I have tried to walk them up in the past with marginal success. Kinda like a rabbit, they will let you walk right by. I'd say you'll flush 3-4 times as many with a dog, but it's still worth a shot.

How big is the property? How many acres do you have that has the same type of habitat as where you flushed them?

I had 8 flushes today, but it just wasn't my day. Normally I have a pretty good success rate, but they were not giving me shots today at all, and the 2 that did I didn't manage to hit. Good flushing day, bad shooting day.
BUT, you still had fun!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I've been enjoying these posts about the woodcock and the grouse. I've never hunted either but do enjoy reading your adventures. Just finished reading my Jan./Feb Wildlife in North Carolina. There were a couple of nice stories in it on the woodcock.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been enjoying these posts about the woodcock and the grouse. I've never hunted either but do enjoy reading your adventures. Just finished reading my Jan./Feb Wildlife in North Carolina. There were a couple of nice stories in it on the woodcock.

I would think they were all over in your neck of the woods.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Probably are. I saw one a week or so ago but it has just been too cold for me to do that much walking. Like you guys are saying, it's a lot of work without a dog, and still a lot of work then. I"d entertain offers of help if anyone was interested in riding up this way.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Probably are. I saw one a week or so ago but it has just been too cold for me to do that much walking. Like you guys are saying, it's a lot of work without a dog, and still a lot of work then. I"d entertain offers of help if anyone was interested in riding up this way.

I hunt them without dogs as well. Two people makes it much easier. One guy can flush while the other waits for a shot. Worked out well for me that’s gow I killed my first and only one

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Sounds like me with grouse!!! Early November I had 4 separate flushes with multiple birds and not a single good shot opportunity

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BUT, you still had fun!

Yeah, I had fun. It was pretty uncanny how I managed to not get a shot so often. I was by myself, and I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't meant to kill one today. That I need to bring a hunting buddy back with me to get a few on Monday. The ground might freeze solid this week though.

Last edited: