Coywolf?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
No such thing as a red wolf so I'm guessing this might be a hybrid. Pretty big to be a regular yote wouldn't you think? Its in northeastern beaufort county

IMG_2772.jpg

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
They dropped the experiment in your area, too, so a hybrid is not out of the question.

I got a pic of a collared one a few years ago thatbi would have to say was more wolf than yote. He was super tall for a yote. My dad saw tbis guy yesterday morning while hunting and was afraid to shoot cause he thought it was a house dog. It was 200yds away and he said it was pretty big.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me of the Jerry Clowers tale where the son tells his dad that he thought a dog was a lion. The dad tells his son to go upstairs to his room and pray to God before he comes back down with such a tale. Later the son comes back down and the father asks him if he talked to God. The son said yes he had talked to Him. Father asks "and what did God say?" The son says "God says the first time he saw it he thought it was a lion too".

First time I saw it it looks like a coyote to me and you know me and my history with coyotes. LOL.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
DNA studies keep confirming that the average eastern "coyote" is almost always a hybrid consisting of an average of around 65% coyote, 25% wolf, and 10% dog DNA. I don't think there are hardly any regular coyotes in the east. Look at the ones out west. They are a different critter.

Last edited: