wood :donk:donk:donk:donk

jim67

Eight Pointer
I was walking to my deer stand the other evening and a bird flushed at my feet, flew a little ways then landed again. Not a quail, or dove or grouse, (too small) so I was wondering if it was a wood :donk:donk:donk:donk. I flushed a similar bird on a mountain bike trail last year. Very interesting.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Likely,,,,,,

Where?

yea Jim, you don't even have your location listed...which often helps folks help each other.

I'd say it probably was a Timberdoodle....have you seen them before elsewhere, to know their plump and have that looooooong beak?

jim67

Eight Pointer
Well sorry I don't have my location, thought I did. I will try to update it, but my location was Stokes county.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I usually run into one or two poking around my place but I can never remember when it is specifically. I've read that the doodles and such migrate through here each year. It just seems that they are around such a short amount of time that by the time I got something set up with someone they would be gone.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been seeing a bunch of them in the last week or two on our deer property. I have been flushing them walking in. Flushed one today 100 yards from the truck and it flew right over my head and landed 25 yards away in the logging road.

It'll probably mess up the deer hunting, but I'm going to get after them as soon as the season opens. I just hope they stick around. They've got a bad habit of disappearing.

mattharris0414

Had a whip-or will do that to me one time. Though it was some sort of owl till i researched it a bit
They are ground nesters.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
They have a very unique flight pattern and call. If you look them up on the Internet, you'll probably never have any more trouble picking one out. But it does sound like you did see a woodcock.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I've been seeing a bunch of them in the last week or two on our deer property. I have been flushing them walking in. Flushed one today 100 yards from the truck and it flew right over my head and landed 25 yards away in the logging road.

It'll probably mess up the deer hunting, but I'm going to get after them as soon as the season opens. I just hope they stick around. They've got a bad habit of disappearing.

Yeah... me too... They're so much fun to hunt with my pup since they actually hold under point... MUCH different than them grouse I chase in the mountains.

But Ill be waiting till after Jan 1 with my pup since there's still so many people in the woods for doe days at the end of deer season...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The migrations are here today and gone tomorrow. I’ve seen a bunch of them recently, so I am gonna give it a shot before they disappear on me.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I got onto really good hunting last 2 weeks of season last year. Late January. The creek flats hadn't froze hard yet and they were still holding in the piedmont.

Also flushed a bunch in Turkey season which I thought was odd..

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I got onto really good hunting last 2 weeks of season last year. Late January. The creek flats hadn't froze hard yet and they were still holding in the piedmont.

Also flushed a bunch in Turkey season which I thought was odd..

I see waaayyyyy more during turkey season than fall/winter.