Benelli cycle problem

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
My SBE II will not cycle 3 inch shells. It will cycle 2.75 even the low 7/8 oz stuff from Walmart. It also cycles 3.5 inch shells fine as well. But for some reason it will not cycle 3 inch shells. I have tried 4 different brands which all do the same thing, it fires the first then it fails to eject the spent shell. The carrier is to the rear and the spent shell is entirely to nearly entirely in the ejection port. Any ideas? Please don’t let this turn into “sell it and buy x brand”.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe the ejector spring needs to be replaced of lubed? Maybe even take it apart and check the recoil spring in the stock and see if it is coroded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have checked and lubed those springs. Just odd that it is only with 3 inch shells.

Other option is to spring for the sure cycle rebuild kit or replacement tube and not look back. Know several guys who spent that money and are very happy

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have checked and lubed those springs. Just odd that it is only with 3 inch shells.

That is what has me head scratching. Nothing mentioned so far will fix your isue IMO.

Did you check the chamber for a rust deposit? It could be at just the right area to snag a 3” shell and miss the 2 3/4”. The 3 1/2 may have enough recoil to eject them.

Last edited:

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
That is what has me head scratching. Nothing mentioned so far will fix your isue IMO.

Did you check the chamber for a rust deposit? It could be at just the right area to snag a 3” shell and miss the 2 3/4”. The 3 1/2 may have enough recoil to eject them.

Yes. No deposits in the chamber but I cleaned anyway yesterday. Still will not fire 3 inch shells. 2.75 and 3.5 will cycle fine. This is a problem as I mostly shoot 3 inch shells. Guess I will call Benelli tomorrow.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Have you tried 3" shells with different brass heights. Or tried 2.75" high brass shells to really narrow down the problem? Spray the crap out of the chamber and bolt with white lithium and shoot some shells. Then take it apart and blow it out with an air compressor.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Spoke with Rob Roberts shop as i couldnt get benelli to call me back this am. They stated Benelli SBE IIs are having trouble cycling most 3 inch shells other than Winchester. I did not try Winchester as i dont own any Winchester. Stated the Benellis do not do well with Hevi-shot, hevi-metal etc.. in 3 inch for some reason.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Spoke with Rob Roberts shop as i couldnt get benelli to call me back this am. They stated Benelli SBE IIs are having trouble cycling most 3 inch shells other than Winchester. I did not try Winchester as i dont own any Winchester. Stated the Benellis do not do well with Hevi-shot, hevi-metal etc.. in 3 inch for some reason.

Well crap. That stinks. Hevi shot and Winchester are my favorites. But I don’t own a SBE II.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Ran some winchester through it. It will cycle winchester 3 inch of various types well. I guess Benelli is right, it is sensitive to brand.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Ran some winchester through it. It will cycle winchester 3 inch of various types well. I guess Benelli is right, it is sensitive to brand.

that has to be one of the oddest things I have ever heard of gun wise............any explanation from them as to why only Winchester shells work?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Per Benelli, the cycle issue has to do with the brass. Apparently some manufacturers such as Hevi-shot have an "odd" shaped brass. I questioned this and was told the extractor has a hard time with grabbing the brass due to the shape. Was told by Benelli as well as Rob Roberts shop that the benelli will not reliably run Hevi-shot brand shells as well as several others. Both said to run winchester only in the SBE II.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I ran into this with my ithaca 37, some brass design is "rounded" on the lip vs flatter causing the extractor to not pick the shell for extraction

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Makes perfect sense as to what causes the problem, the question now becomes why would Benelli not change to a design that would eliminate the problem? I know of no other brand shotgun that is having this particular issue.

And all this on a $1500 shotgun ...

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Per Benelli, the cycle issue has to do with the brass. Apparently some manufacturers such as Hevi-shot have an "odd" shaped brass. I questioned this and was told the extractor has a hard time with grabbing the brass due to the shape. Was told by Benelli as well as Rob Roberts shop that the benelli will not reliably run Hevi-shot brand shells as well as several others. Both said to run winchester only in the SBE II.

even more odd.......but makes sense

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Makes perfect sense as to what causes the problem, the question now becomes why would Benelli not change to a design that would eliminate the problem? I know of no other brand shotgun that is having this particular issue.

And all this on a $1500 shotgun ...
This is my question also

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Funny how this problem seems to be unique with the SBE II. When I had my old H&K era M1-S90 I ran thousands of rounds of Hevi, Federal, Remington (which made the old original Hevi), Tungsten and some Kent with zero issues. I wonder if they have alleviated the issue with the SBE III?

CBD21

Eight Pointer
My sbe ll will run anything, my go to shell is the hevi steel. It seems like it changes from gun to gun on how they function.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

BS from benelli - my buddy runs hevi-shoot in his SBE-II at times,,,never an issue

Last edited:

92xj

Eight Pointer
I dont believe the brand specific issues with the sbeii. I've run every brand in 3" #1,2,3,4 BBB, bb and more and never had an issue. I also run different sizes in the mag tube with no issues, 2.75 followed by 2 3". Something is wrong with the gun, not the shells. Take it apart, clean the crap out of it, use some sort of cleaning agent and oil with a single drop of benelli oil. I clean mine once a season with brake clean and a single drop of oil on the slide rail things. I shoot 5 cases a year and my go to round this weekend is fiochhi 3" 3s.

Last edited:

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Im was just relaying direct information from Benelli. Im sure you guys all have no problems but I did so i was sharing this information. My SBE I has over 11,000 rounds with no malfunctions. I received the II as a gift a few years back and has basically just been a back up gun. It is was clean and lubed and was recleaned and relubed with no improvement. Lack of cleaning will not create this problem. The gun should cycle any brand and this is unacceptable. Im sending it back to Benelli this week, which states it likely will just be replaced with a new shotgun.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im was just relaying direct information from Benelli. Im sure you guys all have no problems but I did so i was sharing this information. My SBE I has over 11,000 rounds with no malfunctions. I received the II as a gift a few years back and has basically just been a back up gun. It is was clean and lubed and was recleaned and relubed with no improvement. Lack of cleaning will not create this problem. The gun should cycle any brand and this is unacceptable. Im sending it back to Benelli this week, which states it likely will just be replaced with a new shotgun.
I will be interested in how this comes out. They aren't real keen on replacing one. I have a friend that sent a SBE II back starting last March 3 times because it hit 30" high from POA at 40 yds. They gave him all kinds of run around. He was demanding a new firearm after it was returned to him the second time and was no better. It took an intervention from an attorney before it was cured, with a new gun.

gregor187

Six Pointer
QUOTNG POST 23

You know I am a Benelli guy,,,I have had many and they shoot all over the place sometimes,,,I read the SBE III is in tolerance if it shoots three inches high at 20 yards.,,,,,,,,I have had many over last 30 years,,,,,I would dare say the America,s is there biggest sales market..Why not just make them to shoot point of aim like everybody else does????????? Have never understood there thinking.
M1 and Super Black Eagle 1,s used to shoot a foot low for me at 25 yards...

As for recoil spring in stock......On the SBE II and M2 they changed these to stainless steel so they do not erode or corrode as bad and they have drain holes drilled in the tubes for drainage also.....

Last edited:

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
77 dollars to ship back to Benelli. Apparently they only handle cost of shipping if within 30 days of purchase. Also, found out Benelli warranty only applies to original owner (luckily I am the original owner). Now the waiting game begins, duck season will probably be over before I get it back.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I had an issue with my M1 and I was not the original purchaser. They fixed the issue and it only cost me shipping to get it there. I'm not sure if I was lucky but I was glad to have the work done under warranty.