Non-Typical Archery Buck Euro Finished

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I finished this buck that I killed earlier last month. I decided to do a euro mount on him, although some said that I was crazy due to the uniqueness of the rack, but I like it.
Most racks are easily scored, but this one offered some challenges. A taxidermist I know offered to give it a go, and came up with 133 2/8". He even said that every measurer would come up with a different number on this thing!

Anyway, not the highest numbers, but I'll take unique and ugly any day over inches!
Link to original thread. https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?139553-Well-That-Was-A-Surprise!
IMG_20171123_133700727_BURST001.jpg

Last edited:

robertc

Eight Pointer
I finished this buck that I killed earlier last month. I decided to do a euro mount on him, although some said that I was crazy due to the uniqueness of the rack, but I like it.
Most racks are easily scored, but this one offered some challenges. A taxidermist I know offered to give it a go, and came up with 133 2/8". He even said that every measurer would come up with a different number on this thing!

Anyway, not the highest numbers, but I'll take unique and ugly any day over inches!
Link to original thread. https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?139553-Well-That-Was-A-Surprise!
View attachment 58238
I think it is an awesome rack. There are a lot of typical racks out there but the non-typical unique rack really catch the eye. Congratulations on a fine bow harvest.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Awesome deer! I can definitely see how it would be difficult to score haha
Also congrats for the picture in Carolina Sportsman mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the euro mount looks a whole lot better than a shoulder mount for that particular deer...that really shows off his unique antler configuration.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
That looks awesome! Care to share any tips on the process? I’ve got 2 I plan on doing soon.

Old Mossy Horns
That looks awesome! Care to share any tips on the process? I’ve got 2 I plan on doing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. There may be better ways to do it, but this works for me. I've done a few, including my elk shown in the photo, and they all turn out great. This is also fairly easy.

Cut everything off of the skull, and take the eyes out and lower jaw. In large pot, submerge skull in simmering (not boiling) water with dishwashing detergent for several hours. Once meat comes off fairly easy, use pressure washer to take remaining meat off, and also use it to take the brain out. Make sure you don't leave skulls simmering for too long. Keep looking for any meat in little crevices and hit it with the pressure washer. In the brain cavity, make sure you use something long to get everything out that the pressure washer didn't. Make sure you take out the cartilage out of the nasal area, and any other goodys you find that isn't bone. If you have any bones to come loose, i.e. nose end area is the most common for me, they will go back like a puzzle. Put them back before the bone dries and once dried, everything will tighten up.
Allow a day or two to dry. I then take a 40 volume peroxide formula and Extra Strength Basic White powder lightener from a beauty salon and make a paste. With latex gloves, I put it on everything but the antlers. Please note, don't put on anything you don't want white! Leave it on for approx 4 days and rinse it off. I'll check for any spots that didn't whiten, and put a little on for a day or two.
That's about it, and it's very easy. Hope this helps.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Genesis27:3.... that helps out tremendously! I have the skulls frozen now. I will let them thaw out after the season and do as you said. Hopefully it comes out as good as yours!

Old Mossy Horns
In the photo, the right side looks pretty weak. Here's a better view of the left antler (right side looking at it).IMG_20171127_055636021.jpg

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Genesis27:3.... that helps out tremendously! I have the skulls frozen now. I will let them thaw out after the season and do as you said. Hopefully it comes out as good as yours!

Another suggestion would be to mix a solution of Elmer’s glue and water about 50/50 and paint with brush after whitening. This will dry clear and bind any loose parts ,from the simmering, together with what approaches a satin finish.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a VERY SPECIAL buck! I'd be thrilled to be hunting something like that. It would have made a great shoulder mount but it's a great skull as well. Congratulations on your unique bow kill!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I've had more than one person tell me that I was crazy for not mounting that buck, and all emphasized the crazy part, but I just don't care much for shoulder mounts like I once did.

Looks great genesis!!
I'm with you. I don't care for shoulder mounts. Never had one done.
Took your lead and did my 9pt this weekend. I like the euro look on funky deer.

https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58439&stc=1&d=1512397813
I actually ended up liking the "natural" bone look on mine after I got it cleaned up so I'm not gonna bleach it.

Turned out decent for my first try. We've always just hung them in a tree with foil on the antlers and let the bugs do the work in the summer.

Is there anything else I need to do to preserve it or am I good to go????

Attachments

• IMG_5156.jpg
    IMG_5156.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 55

Old Mossy Horns
That's a pretty rack, and I like the end results. As long as you have all of the bone clean of anything that isn't bone, I think you're good. That is unless you want to whiten it, but I kind of like the natural look of that one!