.223 hunting

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Deer. What is your load?
I am going to play with some 62gn ttsx
1:9 22" heavy barrel. Savage 10 action

Not sure the recipe because my buddy made them for me to try. He said they don't shoot as well as he likes so he passed them on. I think I'm going to be content with a MOA. Sure would be nice to print .5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive used the federal msr load posted above.

My results included a dead deer....but it is definitely a step down from any other rifle i have used.

kiler I use 4064 powder 23.5 gr 55gr dogtown hp bullet from midway 2.20 oal will text you a picture it will get you .5 in your savage

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Federal Fusion MSR and standard (faster) loading, Winchester 64gr Power Point and Barnes 55gr are at the top of the list for deer. I am shooting Federal Tatical 55gr bonded SP from an AR and bolt gun and they have worked on deer and smaller varmints.

<>< Fish

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My favorite bullets are the Barnes 55 and 62 grain, and the 60 grain partition. That said, my single shot 1:12 twist only shoots 55 gr. soft points. Two deer have been shot this week with that gun and Win. super X 55 gr. and neither one went more than 30 yards.

Anybody try the Sierra 77 grain tipped match king bullets on deer ?

That's on my list to try in the next year or two. Black Hills makes the 77 gr. OTM/SMK round. and the tipped SMK. They aren't traditional hunting rounds, but I'd bet they would get the job done. And they are extremely accurate.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a box so thanks for the reply.
Black Hills is good stuff and heard good things about the TMK bullets.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Results are in. The 62gn ttsx shoot .5" 75gn hornday BTHP match shot an 1". Blitzking 55gn Australian outback shot a little better than .75"

Pretty impressive little gun. This is prone off a bipod. 9x scope. I'm pretty excited to try this ttsx on some deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I load the 55gr TTSX in my 20" 1:9 twist AR-15 and my 22" 1:9 twist Savage Axis 223 Rem for deer hunting. I also load this same bullet in a buddies 22" 1:12 twist Savage Axis 22-250 for deer hunting. They are more than adequate accuracy wise for deer hunting. In my AR and Axis I can get 3/4" 5 shot groups (better on some days) with 26.7gr of BLC-2, Federal GM brass, and CCI BR4 primers. The best I could squeeze out of my buddy's 22-250 accuracy wise is inch and a quarter groups but still plenty accurate enough for deer out to 300yds. The TTSX bullets do a excellent job on deer. They expand plenty for great tissue damage, penetration is excellent with complete pass thru the rule rather than the exception, and leave a pretty decent blood trail if a deer has to be blood trailed. I have a buddy that lives in southeast Texas and he shoots this very same bullet for wild hogs out of his AR and he swear by them as a hog slayer.