Do you support/visit places being open on Thanksgiving day?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I think individuals and companies have the right to make as much or as little money as they so choose. Speaking from first hand experience, not all, but a lot of individuals you or I see working on thanksgiving day chose to be there because of the extra income opportunities. “Holiday pay” can be as much as 3x’s their hourly wage and they see it as an opportunity to make extra money.

Like mentioned earlier, a little thing called “capitalism” comes to mind.

Last edited:

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I hate the idea. I don't support it because they should let them people off work and go to their families. But hey

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I close my gas station and restaurant 3 days a year. Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. My employees appreciate knowing that they won't be asked to work these holidays, ever. I've had some customer complaints about it, I don't care. Whatever income I loose is made up for with happier employees. It's possible to be a capitalist and value family time more than money.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I close my gas station and restaurant 3 days a year. Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. My employees appreciate knowing that they won't be asked to work these holidays, ever. I've had some customer complaints about it, I don't care. Whatever income I loose is made up for with happier employees. It's possible to be a capitalist and value family time more than money.

I do the same and tack on New Years. I am fortunate enough most of my customers are well aware of this and we generally do enough in sales up till the closing that it washes out with a days lose of business. Same applies to major snow events.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I dont buy the concept that workers are being forced to work on holidays. The reality is that most larger 'retail' companies pay double time or time and half for holidays. There are always people who not only will work, but actually WANT to because they need the money, especially around the holidays. Now perhaps that speaks to the fact that we don't pay lower income workers a decent wage but that is another story.

I saved over 100$ on a gaming system for my kids on thanksgiving. Was in and out of walmart within an hour. 100$ an hour is well worth it to me. I feel this trend is here to stay, especially with the decline in NFL ratings.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you get hurt and have to go to the hospital I bet you support the doctors and nurses working on holidays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I am the head chef at a country club. I feed 350 people every Thanksgiving at work. I would like to see the trend shift back to places being closed for thanksgiving.

We are definitely forced to work hollidays. Unless we want to find another job

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
There is no reason not to. Some folks are unfortunately all alone in this world. They either need to work or visit open establishments to fill the void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk