2017 - 2018 Grouse Season

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Just wandering if anyone is hunting..... I’m still at it although the weather and mainly lack of birds is making me more and more ready to start mowing the yard lol.... but I’ll keep after it til the end of next month. How’s anyone else season going.... I’ve come to the conclusion the at least where I’m hunting the birds are down.....

Thunder 1

Button Buck
Headed up to pond mountain tomorrow and try my luck there. Never been there before. If anyone could tell me about the lay of the land, places not to waste my time. How are the roads? Do I need a Jeep or will a long wheel base truck be OK.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I guess eve Is limping thru the end of the season and wandering what happened to the grouse because there was a lot more birds last season..... at least that’s my opinion anyway. It won’t be long until it’s timw to mow the yard!!!!

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
So has anyone killed one yet? I'm just a flat lander so I don't fully understand, but given the success rates being reported in this thread, I can't figure why anybody would hunt them!

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I have but not many and this season I’ve only shot if the dog points one..... something has happened to them between last season and this season that being said something has been happening for a while.... they are no longer below 3000 feet and I’ve hunted them for a long time ( I’m almost 50 )..... it’s very sad ?

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Well I hate that for all the ones that have put the time in to train a good dog. Maybe the population will cycle back around soon for y'all.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well I hate that for all the ones that have put the time in to train a good dog. Maybe the population will cycle back around soon for y'all.

They need to log the forests more heavily. With the almost total lack of logging in the National forests there isn't great habitat. The best grouse covers in MN, Wisconsin, UP, etc...get logged commercially on a commercial schedule. I have a 60+ year old copy of Tap's Tips, he talks about hunting covers in New England that were essentially abandoned farms and orchards...Cleared land that went back to nature, not so different than timber land.

I've also heard that West Nile did a number to our populations this year.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
The Grouse situation is sounding like my Quail situation. The places where I used to find them pretty regularly are dried up and I am not finding any in the wild this year. I have resorted to preserves for the remainder to get my dog into birds and get some of his work rewarded. Something has to change.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well I guess I’m done..... too warm and lack of birds. The season officially ends on the 28th but I think I’m done......

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone want to post a picture of a grouse they killed in NC this year? Just to prove they exist.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I hate to admit, I didn't go this year. Flushed a good number of birds during deer season, but spent my weekends in Jan chasing woodcock, and between a couple hog hunts in Feb. and bad weather, I haven't made the trip up the mountain.

But with Saturday showing 70* and rain nearly all day, I surely don't want to be walking around the mountains in that soggy steep ground all day.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I’ve seen and heard them constantly since I bought my house in oct. (north facing slope about 3300 ft bordering a fresh cut). But I don’t have enough land to hunt them there and the larger tracts surrounding me don’t allow anyone on them unfortunately. Of course it could be the same 1-2 that I’m always seeing and hearing but they’re at least around.

Fwawa20

Button Buck
So I’m guessing this would be a bad time for someone who just got into the sport to try and learn? I mean sounds like a good time but seems like most ppl have dogs and are really running them for enjoyment at this time. I’d like to learn or tag along but seems like ppl have gave up hope.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Never give up hope. This was just a bad season ( for me anyway) but there are more bad seasons than good ones. The birds will be back... maybe not like before but they will be back. Get a dog ( ryman setter 😜) and head to the mountains..... ask questions!!!

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I have always read that Grouse run in Cycles. Hopefully this is the bottom of the cycle and they go up for a while. If it all works out I will be able to hunt the mountains next year.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I have always read that Grouse run in Cycles. Hopefully this is the bottom of the cycle and they go up for a while. If it all works out I will be able to hunt the mountains next year.

I been waiting on the "upswing" of the cycle for 15 years....

A lot of the primo cutovers up in the mountains have aged out and not much other good stuff coming in. At least on public land. More and more of my grouse "spots" are just that. Spots. Not like when I was younger and you'd jump birds all over.

Now it's...... Ok I'm gonna hike to X-spot where the birds are, and there won't be a thing between there and here...

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Grouse do not cycle in the southern Appalachians. There are natural highs and lows in the population but they do not cycle down here.

sjohn

Button Buck
So Grouse hunting is a lot like woodcock, turkey and deer season? The two best days of the year are opening day and closing day. Can't wait for it to open and then can't wait for it to close so you can move on to the next activity.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Grouse do not cycle in the southern Appalachians. There are natural highs and lows in the population but they do not cycle down here.

Please for my education explain why they don't cycle here and they do elsewhere. I am very interested in understanding more about Ruffed Grouse.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I can’t tell you the scientific reason why they do not cycle down here. All I can tell you is there is a pronounced cycle in the upper Midwest and some biologists believe it is related to the aspen tree while others believe it is related to the snowshoe hare. There are certain years up north that have always coincided with the highs and lows in the population while down here there might be a good year followed by three bad years. Also grouse in the lake states will move into an area while down here there has to be grouse already in the area to produce more in that area. I have no education... I have hunted them since 1983 ( I was 13 then) and I try to read a lot about them. One of the best books I have read was the Appalachian ruffed grouse study and yes all of George bird Evans books.... I’m sorry this is not an educated answer.... I will try to answer any questions you have ??