2017 - 2018 Grouse Season

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
I haven't seen a thread for grouse hunting this year, so I thought I'd start one. I'm planning on starting my season soon in Haywood county after Thanksgiving. Who's been out so far, and what have you seen. I've been scouting a bit while deer hunting, but not nailed down a specific area yet.

Anyone got a new pup they're taking out?

Anyone taking a trip out of state, or already back from the upper mid west? How'd you do?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I’ve been out and so far I’m not moving many birds. There’s a lot of food both hard and soft mast so we will see has the season goes along.....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't flush any on a trip to PA earlier this year but we mostly focused on pheasants anyway.

Might scout the new game lands in Maggie Valley for grouse

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, new pup (15 mo.) went with me to PA at the end of October. We went after pheasants, grouse, woodcock, and even some turkey.

We flushed several grouse. Some on public land in strategic aspen cuts, but more under the hemlocks on the hills on private land. In the more open woods, they would flush before we even got in range. The ones in the thick aspens would flush closer, but swinging a gun on them was nearly impossible. I cut down 2 different aspens with my shotgun, but never bagged a grouse. My best shot opportunity by far was a gimme passing shot at 20 yards but it was flying right at my buddy's Dad's head. I had to pass as the grouse coasted down through the wide open in the afternoon sunlight. Beautiful flush and a rare completely unhindered shot, but it just wasn't safe.

I will go after some woodcock in December probably, but I think chasing grouse in NC would be a complete waste of time unless I was tagging along with someone who already knew of some good coverts.

Last edited:

apphunter

Four Pointer
I went to Pond Mountain on Thanksgiving day it was my first time ever grouse hunting. I covered a few miles and flushed my first grouse with in the first hour. I took my pup Boone out but he is really too young at 8 months old but it was good to get him out there. I look forward to doing a lot more of it.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I just wanted to update that since I’ve posted lastmy season hasn’t improved. We are moving into the time of year when the food is almost gone except for the green stuff so if there’s any we should start finding them...... just got to keep going.....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Hey Ruff... where you hunting??

Just gonna say a little tidbit from my last couple seasons...

I only hunt Jan and Feb cause I don't want to be running my dog during deer season... So its COLD most of the time...

I've gotten most of my flushes over the last two years in the mornings on the spines of ridges that run East - West.

Early flushes after daylight to say 10am on the sunny side of the spine, and late morning flushes on the North side of the spine once the birds get warm and transition over to the "cold" side of the hill to eat ferns, etc.

Most predictable pattern I've found if you're hunting above 4,000' or so.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Appmtnhntr, I’m pretty much doing like you. Most my flushes come during December- February, but I start in late October lol..... I don’t go up north anymore so it’s just along the state line (Tn ) for me. I have thought about heading to wine spring creek wma near Franklin. It’s about 11,000 acres and it’s also where the Appalachian ruffed grouse study was conducted...... but that’s a lot of country down there so it’s a hit or miss deal....

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
And one more thing.... I along with several other grouse hunters that hunt the southern Appalachians don’t find as many Birds anymore below 3,000 ft..... something has happened to them and I’ve been hunting them since I was 13 and I’m almost 50 now lol..... but it keeps me off the couch ?

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
That's very true about finding grouse below 3000 feet. I used to see them here in Caldwell Country 20 years ago at 1200 feet when Champion paper was doing their thing. I've not jumped a grouse in the upper Wilson area in 5 years or so and it's about 2800 feet. Now I try to target areas > 4000 feet, and 5000 is better.

Thunder 1

Button Buck
Hope everyone is having better luck than me. Been out 6 times with only 1 flush and needless to say I missed. All public land in buncombe, haywood, Mitchell and Madison Counties.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Hey if anyone is out this weekend let’s see some dogs and snow.... my days off are through the week but I love to see hunting for the greatest game bird ever in the snow!!!

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Hey if anyone is out this weekend let’s see some dogs and snow.... my days off are through the week but I love to see hunting for the greatest game bird ever in the snow!!!

I'm heading to Haywood next Wed the 13th. Maybe they should have some snow still around. Anyone going to be near CM GL?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I have heard that some logging has been done on Cold Mtn game lands...... that’s what the state needs... we’ll one of the things ?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Also just wandering about sandy mush ..... I’ve never hunted there but I’ve always wandered about woodcock along the river portion of it.....

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I live in Haywood. Grouse used to be very, very common, but for the last decade or so, they've been almost non-existent. I've seen more this year than I have in a few years, though; and heard a few drumming.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Also just wandering about sandy mush ..... I’ve never hunted there but I’ve always wandered about woodcock along the river portion of it.....

Flew a grouse on sandy mush a couple years ago - holds a few wild coveys of quail, but you have to work for them

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I just wanted to say that I have seen more bear hunters this year and fewer bear signs where as last year it was the opposite lol..... with a bear coming out of its den on me and my setter. Saw lots of dogs and hunters Monday...... bear hunters that is..... not that many grouse lol....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Waiting till January since deer season is still in for all my places in the NW district. But January is getting filled quick...

Got to fit my Tundra Swan hunt in sometime before 1/31. Gotta get on woodcock before season ends on 1/28
And looks like I'm going on a hog hunt for work in SC in the middle of January...

So it's looking like February will be my only chance to get the pup on the mountain.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Haywood was a bust for me today. Hit multiple spots and didn't jump a bird. The snow was hard crusted and hard on the dog. He had a couple scuffs on this legs from running thru it. They still had 6-8 inches in places. Even the south facing hills still had 3-4.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Went yesterday and still lots of hard packed snow and ice which is treacherous to walk on and I hunted 6 hrs.... I’ve been off this week and it’s been tough conditions so I opted to rest today lol.... I’m tired not the dog. Hopefully with the warmer weather on the way next week and the conditions will be better...... I’ve almost come to the conclusion that bird numbers are lower this season than the last few at least where I’m hunting anyway...... still have 2 months left so it might get better ?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Went yesterday and still lots of hard packed snow and ice which is treacherous to walk on and I hunted 6 hrs.... I’ve been off this week and it’s been tough conditions so I opted to rest today lol.... I’m tired not the dog. Hopefully with the warmer weather on the way next week and the conditions will be better...... I’ve almost come to the conclusion that bird numbers are lower this season than the last few at least where I’m hunting anyway...... still have 2 months left so it might get better ��

Been odd one... Some mtns where I deer hunt have had a lot more birds than usual, but others have been steady or down a little. Will investigate more in February once I get intel from my bear hunting buddies during 2nd season

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
yea. I went hunting white tails in Idaho with my brothers last couple weeks of November. I thought that the snow would be productive, but it turned out to be a pain in the :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. I hampered our efforts in Idaho and now it seems that it followed me home. Cold weather seems to make the birds move and congregate, but the snow is not all it's cracked up to be. It probably concentrates the birds, but it also makes access more difficult. Seems like a draw to me.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Hey just curious what people are thinking about the season so far??...... I’ve said I think the birds are down ( where I’m hunting anyway)...... anybody else want to chime in on their season??