more bad press for us

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
http://www.wral.com/dogs-deaths-by-arrows-prompt-warning-could-see-criminal-charges/17134813/

reporting this as hunting accident or anything of the sort only help to paint us in a bad light. This was a hunter that turned into a criminal who's hunt got messed up by some dogs. This sorry SOB is not a hunter. No one, especially in bow range would mistake a dog for anything other than a dog. If you are going to hunt near a hiking trail you should expect to see people and their pets.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
word from east chatham county is that they had a lockdown at northwood high school related to a hunter in the nearby woods.

bad press for hunters abounds. media loves it.

but we need to be honest, we have hunters who support SSS.

and hunters willing to hunt near a school regardless of the possible consequences.

Once again evidence that deer cause people to do stupid stuff.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
If that Chatham school story is the same one I read about, the hunter was found by authorities as well as his deer. Everything was perfectly legal and he has and continues to have every right to hunt where he does. I hunt less than a mile away from a school. I blame that one on a paranoid teacher.

Now the lowlife who shot someone's dogs deserves to have the book thrown at him. They are likely someone who regularly hunts that same spot and sureley someone has an idea who did it.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Can't shoot a dog by accident, just can't happen and with a bow, ain't no way, hope that guy falls out of a tree.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not taking up for the guy(s) who shot the dogs, but here's another contributing factor ...

"Maddigan's wife, Dosha Bohatova, and a friend were walking their dogs off-leash on Friday along the shore of Falls Lake when the dogs ran into the nearby woods."

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I know part of that area pretty well. There is an actual hiking trail there through gamelands where a WLO once told me not to get caught crossing the trail, even with archery equipment. The trail itself was non hunting. Though it stayed close to the road on gamelands.

Remember, Gamelands themselves are for hunting purposes ONLY!!!! If they were walking along the shores of Falls lake (good chance, the lake is VERY low right now), there is a VERY good chance they were on gamelands. Years ago I had a liberal buddy who's backyard butted up to gamelands. He acted like it was an extension of his property. He and his wife would walk their dog all around those gamelands. They'd even wear bright colors. I tried to explain to him how they were technically, breaking the law. He actually acted offended.

No leash, and if they were on gamelands, I hope they end up being fined. They seem to have contributed to this senseless and gruesome act.

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see it as an accident but as pointed out the dogs shouldn't be off leash. Only bad things can happen. The guy who did it is a special kind of dirtbag though.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm not taking up for the guy(s) who shot the dogs, but here's another contributing factor ...

"Maddigan's wife, Dosha Bohatova, and a friend were walking their dogs off-leash on Friday along the shore of Falls Lake when the dogs ran into the nearby woods."

Two wrongs don't make a right.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I don't see it as an accident but as pointed out the dogs shouldn't be off leash. Only bad things can happen. The guy who did it is a special kind of dirtbag though.

Honestly, if the dogs weren't dragged, it may be possible to pinpoint the tree the shots were taken from. Perhaps, maybe, an arrow or 2 might be found? I hope hard evidence is enough to bring this scumbag into court and hopefully into prison. I hope the dog owners take ownership of their mistakes/lawbreaking as well.

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
If the dogs weren't running at large they would not have been shot it's as simple as that. I think it's despicable that people let their dogs run off leash. If you don't have your dog under control you can't blame anybody else but yourself.

When I see a dog running off leash I just consider that target practice, and I'm sure more of you agree then would care to admit.

On the other hand, it is against the law to shoot a dog unless you're being threatened. I still feel the dog owner bears the brunt of the responsibility.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If the dogs weren't running at large they would not have been shot it's as simple as that. I think it's despicable that people let their dogs run off leash. If you don't have your dog under control you can't blame anybody else but yourself.

When I see a dog running off leash I just consider that target practice, and I'm sure more of you agree then would care to admit.

On the other hand, it is against the law to shoot a dog unless you're being threatened. I still feel the dog owner bears the brunt of the responsibility.
You're part of the problem.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You do know that there are all kind of dogs used for various types of hunting that aren't required to be leashed. You consider them as targets also?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If he omitted the second paragraph, I'd have been on his side. Very strong argument. And yes, I'm in that care to admit column.

I can't stand a dog running off leash, especially when I have my dog on a leash (unless bird hunting).

But I also am an adult with enough restraint to not shoot a dog because it angers me. Hopefully, his admitted target practice will catch up with him one day. That felony will end the urge to target practice on dogs or otherwise.

I'd add that if my dog got out accidentally or was actually hunting and someone shot it, it'd be a helluva bad day for whoever was behind the trigger.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
"That was news to Maddigan. "I wasn't aware that there was active hunting going on right where people were using the park," he said."

I guess we want to assume that everyone knows the various uses of gamelands. Unfortunately, many people, probably from populated areas, do see the gamelands as "parks". There is probably no way to remedy that unless the gamelands were completely closed to all without a hunting license during any active hunting season and I doubt that will ever happen. So it becomes incumbent on everyone using the areas to either understand the varied uses and accept responsibility for their own actions.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

If you truly are practicing this statement, you're the kind of hunter we can do without.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'd add that if my dog got out accidentally or was actually hunting and someone shot it, it'd be a helluva bad day for whoever was behind the trigger.

With the absolute utmost respect, if that happened, would you accept any responsibility? Or just go straight revenge?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
With the absolute utmost respect, if that happened, would you accept any responsibility? Or just go straight revenge?

Responsibility if a dog got out of a pen that it hasn't before? Or I was hunting and some jack wagon shot my dog? Responsibility lies on the shooter in that situation (barring a dog attacking/threatening someone).

And I'm not one for revenge - but there are remedies for that kind of thing, legally.

If a grown man can't control himself enough to not shoot a dog because he's mad it's loose, he doesn't have the maturity and self control to be toting a weapon anyhow. Some people are sorry though.

Just like the landowner destroying a trespassers truck for trespassing. Same lack of self control.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Honestly, we're talking about randomly killing a dog that's running loose? Is your hunt really that important that you'd kill someone's pet?

I have stray dogs running across my property all the time, but I don't kill them - its not the dog's fault.

But I'm with wncdeerhunter; hurt my dog for any reason, and your gonna have a problem. When we say our dogs are like members of our family, it's the truth.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Honestly, we're talking about randomly killing a dog that's running loose? Is your hunt really that important that you'd kill someone's pet?

I don't think anyone is talking about that. You can try to introduce it if you must.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think anyone is talking about that. You can try to introduce it if you must.

Actually, your talking about it. In your previous post, you seem to be condoning NCGunDude's statement about considering shooting loose dogs as target practice, admitting that you're in the "more of you agree than care to admit it" camp.

Last edited:

damarshall7

Four Pointer
I used to hunt the area that this happened all of the time. There is a land owner there that turns his dogs loose and lets them run through the archery only areas pretty much everytime i sat in a tree near his property. I spoke with him on one occasion to let him know that he was not allowed to do this, and his response was "ill do whatever i want, this is public land."

This area is also over run with people that walk the mountians to sea trail and let their dogs off the leash while they walk. I have brought this to the attention of the warden at least 4 times, and the respose was very lackadaisical. LEO has been aware of this problem for at least 5 years and has done nothing to stop it. I do not condone the actions of the hunter, but it has been made very clear that nothing will be done about non hunters breaking laws on this section of urban gamelands. One specfic homeowner in the area intentionally disrupts hunts, but again, nothing is done about it. Most of these reasons are why I no longer hunt that tract of land.

I wish that the news outlets would make it clear that this area is for hunting, and not running dogs off the leash and do their part to INFORM and TEACH the general public, rather than fear monger them. The original picture associated with this article was of a bullet. Which has nothing to do with this case. Instead of teaching the public, they use their adgenda to grow public hate for guns and hunters. A simple map and dates of hunting season would go a long ways to teach the public.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
"That was news to Maddigan. "I wasn't aware that there was active hunting going on right where people were using the park," he said."

I guess we want to assume that everyone knows the various uses of gamelands. Unfortunately, many people, probably from populated areas, do see the gamelands as "parks". There is probably no way to remedy that unless the gamelands were completely closed to all without a hunting license during any active hunting season and I doubt that will ever happen. So it becomes incumbent on everyone using the areas to either understand the varied uses and accept responsibility for their own actions.

Ignorance is no defense of the law. As a hunter, if you forget to wear your orange hat, can you pretend you didn't know if you get caught?

I didn't read the article, so I'm not speaking to this specific situation. I'm just saying that people are not immune from game land laws just because they do not hunt. I've never been to California, but that doesn't mean I'm not expected to follow all California laws if I ever do.

That being said, I can't see how any person could ever shoot any dog that wasn't about to latch on to their throat. I know I don't have it in me.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I don't condone what happened, but the fact that she referred to the gamelands as a "park" is telling to me. If they want to walk their dogs in a park then go to a park. Umstead is right down the road, as well as parts of Falls that have that designation.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
where are yall getting that people cant walk around ACOE gamelands?.....most ACOE gamelands I know are even labeled multi use areas....hunting/fishing/trapping hiking etc, bird watching...dogs have to be leashed . and like someone said It is going to be a bad bad day for someone if they ever shoot my dog.

and yall do know that almost every piece of gameland on Jordan and falls is slated one day to not be gamelands. they have many things planned that we wont see it happen in our lifetime but eventually all of it will be taken up by campgrounds and other recreation areas.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did not realize that the general non hunting public were not allowed on gamelands......someone post me up the law on that......i am not convinced....

Dumbass that shot the dog!! Dumbass with dogs off leash!!

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I did not realize that the general non hunting public were not allowed on gamelands......someone post me up the law on that......i am not convinced....

Dumbass that shot the dog!! Dumbass with dogs off leash!!

Yup. We use the reasoning during gun debates that they do not fire themselves. This :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk hat did it not once but twice ( I know it was a bow, same difference). The people are idiots for letting their dogs off the leash and if something happened by accident like a coyote or hit by a car, it would be 100% their fault. Knowing your target and what is behind wasn't even considered. He knew. And shot twice.