35 Remington Plinking loads

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
ok, got one for my 30-30's that consist on 10 grains of unique and 110 grain roundnose. This is on several well know sites as one of the best plinking/small game loads for any 30 cal rifle. 10 grains behind any 100 or 110 bullet'....i have used this for years in my 4 30-30's rifle/pistols and it is good.

so does anyone have any good reduced loads for a 35 remington using 357/38 pistol bullets??

tks Mack

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Mack, back in my younger/dumber days I had a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and I did load some lighter pistol bullets but don't recall (with certainty) what success I had. In looking at my oldest loading manual (Speer 9) they are showing 125, 140 and 158 grain jacketed bullets and the most common powder seems to be 4895 and RE7. The velocities they are showing range from 2100/2300 for the 158 grain bullet up to 2600/2700 range for the 125 grain bullet.
I do remember that all I had was 3031 and 158 grain JHP and didn't blow myself, or the gun apart. With the 158/3031 load I stayed low and only ran the bullets around 18/1900 fps. I was always worried about stripping the jacket if I pushed too hard so I stayed with the starting load and never went beyond that.
I know this isn't much help since I'm sure you have already consulted the manuals but at least you know it can be done and survive....

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
For a reduced load you could go 180grain Speer flat nose over 23.4grains of H4895 and work it up to a full power load of 39 grains if you want. For H4895 take the max load multiply time .60 and that’s your starting load for reduced loads. This is per Hodgdons website.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I also remember the older Speer books have reduced loads........maybe their website does nowadays.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Ok.. hope that isn't to bad off topic but had a 35 question . Just this week I shot a deer with a 336 Marlin in 35 Rem. First one I've taken with this particular gun/cal. Ive been wanting to use it so took it on a whim and connected. I was using rem 150g core-lokt. The shot was roughly 80 yds. Hit a little high on back of the shoulder but deer was drt. There was no blood at all. Bullet did pass through. Every instance is different I assume or is this normal for this round? No complaints as I got the deer with one shot but the minimal damage surprised me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ok.. hope that isn't to bad off topic but had a 35 question . Just this week I shot a deer with a 336 Marlin in 35 Rem. First one I've taken with this particular gun/cal. Ive been wanting to use it so took it on a whim and connected. I was using rem 150g core-lokt. The shot was roughly 80 yds. Hit a little high on back of the shoulder but deer was drt. There was no blood at all. Bullet did pass through. Every instance is different I assume or is this normal for this round? No complaints as I got the deer with one shot but the minimal damage surprised me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I️ shoot 200 grain sst in 35 rem and hit I️t perfectly in the heart. Best blood trail I’ve ever had with any round but the exit hole was less than impressive.

I️ wouldn’t be a bit surprised to walk up on a high shoulder shot deer and not see a drop of blood. Happened to me quite a few times with a 270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk